Poll: Should affirmative action be enforced by the government?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should affirmative action be enforced by the government?
Yes
11 10%
No
84 79%
Yes, but less than it is now.
12 11%
Voters: 107.
Page 1 of 3
What do you guys think, good or bad?

In case you don't know what affirmative action is, it is when the government attempts to make up for discrimination by requiring companies to hire certain amounts of minorities.

Yeah, I know, searchbar, but I wanted this to be as up-to-date as possible.
I think it's both for good and bad.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
It's a shortsighted solution to a small part of a larger problem.

Basically, I don't like it but not for the same reasons as most people who criticize it.

I also don't think it happens as much as people say.
Last edited by sargasm at Jun 9, 2008,
If I owned a company I'll hire the ones who are qualified regardless of race. If the goverment tells me I need to hire some uneducated minorities because they feel bad they can go **** themselves for all I care.
i thinks its bull ****. affirmative action might as well be dicrimination

i cant get a job in my town becuase there arent any. and it is true that companies are reluctant to hire british whites as their generally seen as lazy and overpaid compared to your asian/watever. this is crap as i would happily work for shat all.

im not racist at all i just think the government is over compensating for a problem that will over time fix itself
Quote by NowhereOutThere
Nice way to be descriptive there.

I knew you'd like it.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by guitar_mad_ali

i cant get a job in my town becuase there arent any. and it is true that companies are reluctant to hire british whites as their generally seen as lazy and overpaid compared to your asian/watever. this is crap as i would happily work for shat all.

What does that have to do with affirmative action?
I personally think the real solution is getting minorities to have better education and credentials so that companies won't have to worry about making the metaphorical grade when it comes to the number of minorities hired.

Because you know what? Hiring someone just based off their skin color is in itself racist.
Quote by sargasm

Basically, I don't like it but not for the same reasons as most people who criticize it.

I'm exactly with you on this. The solution to racism is not more racism. We can only be equal if our laws say that we are equal. If we set ourselves apart with bs like this, its only prolonging the problem.
its bull crap.
i never "oppressed" a minority group.
why should i not get a job over some drug head just because a company wants to be politically correct or whatever?
if they really want a job that bad, they'll pay attention in school and get a good job. end of story.
I despise affirmative action.

A person should be judged on experience and qualification, not race. That's racism.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by NowhereOutThere
Because you know what? Hiring someone just based off their skin color is in itself racist.

(sargasm) i was getting to that. its just somethin that really has been doin my head in lately
Quote by !normajean!
its bull crap.
i never "oppressed" a minority group.
why should i not get a job over some drug head just because a company wants to be politically correct or whatever?
if they really want a job that bad, they'll pay attention in school and get a good job. end of story.

ok, what the ****? not liking affirmative action is one thing, but why must that hire always be a despicable person by default? maybe you didn't get the job but the minority is just as qualified?

NO, that can't be, he's some drug head.

god, i hate arguments like that. look, i don't like the idea of affirmative action much. the person best for the job should get the job. and let's be honest, it's only making more ammo for actual racists.
Yes.

The people who usually do the hiring will look at two people with the exact same qualifications and degrees, and will hire the white one, FACT.

Wonder why EVERY major CEO and corporation owner is white?
Last edited by Twisted Magnum at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by Mack56
ok, what the ****? not liking affirmative action is one thing, but why must that hire always be a despicable person by default? maybe you didn't get the job but the minority is just as qualified?

NO, that can't be, he's some drug head.

god, i hate arguments like that. look, i don't like the idea of affirmative action much. the person best for the job should get the job. and let's be honest, it's only making more ammo for actual racists.

i never said its always a bad person. if the person is qualified, then thats ok. but if some dude tries to get a job with no qualifications, and someone that is qualified doesnt get the job just because the boss thinks that they owe him something, thats retarded.
go get educated if you want the job.
That's one of the many reasons we left South Africa... I miss the good things though... Affirmative action can be a good thing but it's BAD coz the people are hired coz of there race and not there skills or experience in the line of work and don't the companies get fined for not having the right "quotas"?...
Quote by Twisted Magnum
The people who usually do the hiring will look at two people with the exact same qualifications and degrees, and will hire the white one, FACT.

i thought that the non-white would... im not an expert but thats how it looks to me. Companies think that hiring a non-white will make them seem like some kind of 'nice multi-ethnic company' and big themsleves up about it.
No.

Equality is bull****, no one wants to be just as good as everyone else, they want to be better. That's why people complain, that's why people make this **** up.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
I read an article in Scientific American about this. It stated that if there are two identical resumes, one with a name resembling an American and the other which resembles Middle Eastern origin, the (white) manager will generally choose the resume with the American name. This is due to implicit bias.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
Quote by SRX700
I read an article in Scientific American about this. It stated that if there are two identical resumes, one with a name resembling an American and the other which resembles Middle Eastern origin, the (white) manager will generally choose the resume with the American name. This is due to implicit bias.

Exactly.

Affirmative action is the only option because the white employers dont give a fuck about the minority in the first place.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
Yes.

Good luck proving that.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
Exactly.

Affirmative action is the only option because the white employers dont give a fuck about the minority in the first place.

Care to back up the fact that all white CEOs are in fact racist?

I am against affirmative action. Corrupts everything it touches, I have been taught by my observations in my 16 years in this world that if you are willing to work hard, you get to where you want to be. Regardless of Race, I have no actions over what my ancestors do anyways. So branding me with the guilt is like blaming jews for economic woes(oh shi- theres a thread nazi vs. commies)
No. I beat affirmative action somehow (my essays were about how it is hard being shafted with the lower-middle class, white, B avg, no clubs and stuff student (I doubt my 27 helped much))
Quote by MrGuitar123

I am against affirmative action. Corrupts everything it touches, I have been taught by my observations in my 16 years in this world that if you are willing to work hard, you get to where you want to be. Regardless of Race, I have no actions over what my ancestors do anyways. So branding me with the guilt is like blaming jews for economic woes(oh shi- theres a thread nazi vs. commies)

What!?

If you work hard you get where you want to be?

Oh well, all those homeless, starving, illiterate poor people in the world just didn't want it hard enough?
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by sargasm

I also don't think it happens as much as people say.

This.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Custom (Alpine White)
Roland Microcube

Hoping to get a Strat or Tele next.
Quote by MrGuitar123

Who said they were racist?

I just said that they got there today because they were white. Again, if both a white and black man with the exact same intelligence, degrees, and competence were competing for a job, the white one would get picked, if the employer was white.
its bad, if people want to be viewed as the same, giving some people more help and opportunities than others is the opposite
Quote by meh!

Oh well, all those homeless, starving, illiterate poor people in the world just didn't want it hard enough?

I know I always have these weird experiences to back up what I say but I knew someone in my school whos mom and step dad were both crackheads and she still managed to be honors student, but than would be brutally raped and murdered and stuff into a box by her stepdad, the step dad might be getting a death sentence, but last I heard its just life w/o parole.

I guess what you and I get out of it is just because someone is disadvantaged at the start doesn't make them automatically disadvantaged she worked hard and made the best of her situation, and its a ****ing shame, because the story behind it and side effects to crack cocaine showed maybe if the step dad wasn't under the influence of crack she would be alive today.

Feel free to laugh at me because I pulled a Needle out of a stack of needles. But I feel if one person could do it, many more could do it.

I'll PM you a link to the story if you want, that is if I could find it was heavily covered in my area.
Last edited by MrGuitar123 at Jun 9, 2008,
It seems that everyone thinks that only white people are allowed to hire people.
Death Cube K

Quote by primusfan
i know an old lady who supports abortion because it's generally low-class black women getting it performed and for her the less inner-city black kids (or blacks in general) there are, the better.

Oh Damn
The reason affirmitive action fails is that by giving minorites more priviledges/aid than/over majorities, it then alienates the majority, which become the minority in terms of who gets "aid".

Political correctness needs to get the **** out of the U.S..

Perhaps to France?
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by ihatefender
It seems that everyone thinks that only white people are allowed to hire people.

White people are usually the ones with the high corporate positions.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
White people are usually the ones with the high corporate positions.

thats because white people ( who are being descriminated against now adays) dont bitch about it. they work hard and go places
Quote by MrGuitar123
I know I always have these weird experiences to back up what I say but I knew someone in my school whos mom and step dad were both crackheads and she still managed to be honors student, but than would be brutally raped and murdered and stuff into a box by her stepdad, the step dad might be getting a death sentence, but last I heard its just life w/o parole.

I guess what you and I get out of it is just because someone is disadvantaged at the start doesn't make them automatically disadvantaged she worked hard and made the best of her situation, and its a ****ing shame, because the story behind it and side effects to crack cocaine showed maybe if the step dad wasn't under the influence of crack she would be alive today.

Feel free to laugh at me because I pulled a Needle out of a stack of needles. But I feel if one person could do it, many more could do it.

I'll PM you a link to the story if you want, that is if I could find it was heavily covered in my area.

It does make them automatically disadvantaged... they have to overcome that... which is what she did. Just because some people can overcome it... doesn't make it not a disadvantage.

Poor people are at a disadvantage.
Black people are at a disadvantage.
Black people are often poor, because poor people generally beget poor children and blacks today in America are still damaged by slavery.

it's not about making anyone feel guilty, it's about trying to make up for some of the inequality in this world.

Personally, I don't agree that's it's done on race, I think affirmative action should be done on financial status. But we don't even have it here, so meh.

Quote by pandemek
thats because white people ( who are being descriminated against now adays) dont bitch about it. they work hard and go places

I see the pits on top form tonight.
Is Britain still sore about the U.S. winning independence?

I'm actually curious and want to know this, it's for a point I may make.
Quote by Pauldapro
Quote by meh!

in america, yes...because affirmative action doesnt exist in 3rd world countries.

you have to admit, with a free public school system, the ability to take out loans to go to college, and (even tho the employment situation over here is pretty crappy) you can still find a job SOMEWHERE.

yes, there are ALWAYS extenuating circumstances for one situation or another, but when it comes down to it, most people in america have a chance to make something for themselves.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by meh!
It does make them automatically disadvantaged... they have to overcome that... which is what she did. Just because some people can overcome it... doesn't make it not a disadvantage.

Poor people are at a disadvantage.
Black people are at a disadvantage.
Black people are often poor, because poor people generally beget poor children and blacks today in America are still damaged by slavery.

it's not about making anyone feel guilty, it's about trying to make up for some of the inequality in this world.

Personally, I don't agree that's it's done on race, I think affirmative action should be done on financial status. But we don't even have it here, so meh.

Yeah I agree with that, I thought you meant just because someone is disadvantaged its impossible to work out of.

Ah well, Hopefully no hard feelings
Quote by Twisted Magnum
Yes.

The people who usually do the hiring will look at two people with the exact same qualifications and degrees, and will hire the white one, IGNORANT OPINION I HOLD TO BE TRUE.

Wonder why EVERY major CEO and corporation owner is white?

FACT

also

Black CEO:
Kenneth I. Chenault, of American Express

Google is Magical

EDIT: damnit, I can't tell if he was joking or not with the smiley...

Well, if you were, My bad.
Quote by Chris_Parker
Is Britain still sore about the U.S. winning independence?

I'm actually curious and want to know this, it's for a point I may make.

:s what?

No, no one cares.
Page 1 of 3