Page 1 of 5
there's all this talk about people who go to university or college do not necessarily get a good job. I just think to myself "well...when most of the majors offered at univeristy are completely useless like history, philosophy, art etc...its no wonder why people don't find work with the major." im just curious as to why you think people take garbage courses like these. I assume they do it because 'they want to do something that makes them happy' which could be true, or maybe the program they choose is really easy to get into and they just want a degree, any degree.

honestly is there truly a demand or even a use for latin majors, historians, philosophers, artists etc. if so then i would like to know about it.
im doing illustration i have one more year left
but ive figure now that its definately not for me

but im going back to do another 3 years in Photography for Advertising
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit

Two of the guys I'm living with next year do those courses. A degree on a CV looks good, they can do nothing for 3 years and have a reason, and maybe they can go into something related. History has opportunities anyway.

There are a lot of useless courses. It's because government wants higher uni attendance and schools push uni as being the right option, irrelevant of the course they choose.
I love History, Philosophy, and Writing. A lot of people say they're useless, but I love them, so I'm probably going to major in one of them in college. I want to be happy and I don't want to learn something I don't enjoy just so I can be your definition of "successful". If you're happy, you're successful and why wouldn't you major in something you love?
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
An english degree (for example) is useful. I know lots of teachers/principals/counselors etc who have one. I remember a philosophy prof of mine (and a music one too) that listed a bunch of good reasons to get an arts degree, not that i can recall them right now

Anyway, I'm working on an english degree right now, and I love it! The knowledge and exposure to culture and people is fantastic. If you think they're useless, don't get one, and certainly don't discourage others from getting one. Purely interest is a good enough reason I would say (if you're paying for it yourself), and a passion for the given subject makes it a great choice. An arts degree can give you an excellent base in communications skills and critical thinking, among lots of other things. I'm sure that googling this would yield answers
Quote by StreetLight3989
If you're happy, you're successful and why wouldn't you major in something you love?

<3
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Not everyone cares about making tons of money. I'm going to college and will be more inclined to take anthropology, history, horticulture, and music classes because it is very interesting to me. If I can make money that would be alright. If I can't, I'll be happy with a modest life just trying to help others and getting buy.
Death Cube K

Quote by primusfan
i know an old lady who supports abortion because it's generally low-class black women getting it performed and for her the less inner-city black kids (or blacks in general) there are, the better.

Oh Damn
you can only do well in the art industry
if your work is really different...trust me
Quote by ihatefender
Not everyone cares about making tons of money. I'm going to college and will be more inclined to take anthropology, history, horticulture, and music classes because it is very interesting to me. If I can make money that would be alright. If I can't, I'll be happy with a modest life just trying to help others and getting buy.

Horticulture (pronounced /'hɔ:tɪkʌltʃə/ or US /ˈhɔrtɨkʌltʃɚ/[1]) is the art and science of the cultivation of plants.

.......really???
I know but I was shocked that he wanted to study it. Maybe he wants to make a weed farm. That would be sick.
hmm i guess i see what people are saying about art. i suppose it would be good in advertising and photojournalism etc. but wouldn't it be better for people to keep the countless thousands of dollars spent on a degree which probably won't find you a decent job. i'm not saying you cant find a job with the degree but wouldn't it be better to get one which is more credible and i guess if you really wanted to you could just show up to philosophy classes for you personal knowledge but not get the degree for it.
Quote by Wesseem
im just curious as to why you think people take garbage courses like these.

well, honestly, the idea that they are "garbage" courses is just an opinion. history, philosophy, and art are fundamental to society, i dont think they are useless. art and history define cultures, and philosophy keeps our race from becoming stagnant. youre entitled to your own opinion, but i think youre going too far by saying these are all garbage. note also that music is considered "art," so if you think thats useless, why dont you just give up your guitar/bass/drums/whatever and study something "useful" (in your opinion)?
Quote by Wesseem
hmm i guess i see what people are saying about art. i suppose it would be good in advertising and photojournalism etc. but wouldn't it be better for people to keep the countless thousands of dollars spent on a degree which probably won't find you a decent job. i'm not saying you cant find a job with the degree but wouldn't it be better to get one which is more credible and i guess if you really wanted to you could just show up to philosophy classes for you personal knowledge but not get the degree for it.

+1
Quote by Dvl'
Horticulture (pronounced /'hɔ:tɪkʌltʃə/ or US /ˈhɔrtɨkʌltʃɚ/[1]) is the art and science of the cultivation of plants.

.......really???

how have you not heard of horticulture?! That's quirky lol

ha wait, you might have just meant you were surprised they were interested in taking it, sorry
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
I wouldn't consider them 'garbage courses'.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
Quote by Dvl'
I know but I was shocked that he wanted to study it. Maybe he wants to make a weed farm. That would be sick.

oh haha
i thought you just didnt know that that's what horticulture ment
Quote by Guitar_Poet
well, honestly, the idea that they are "garbage" courses is just an opinion. history, philosophy, and art are fundamental to society, i dont think they are useless. art and history define cultures, and philosophy keeps our race from becoming stagnant. youre entitled to your own opinion, but i think youre going too far by saying these are all garbage. note also that music is considered "art," so if you think thats useless, why dont you just give up your guitar/bass/drums/whatever and study something "useful" (in your opinion)?

well see thats the thing...its my HOBBY. not my career. a (personally) believe a career is something for money, and with that money i will set up a good life for myself which includes funding my hobbies and interests. even if i LOVED history, id still major in something that would give be a better chance of giving me a decent living and then id just buy tons of history books to study on my own time.
me and academic subjects........................DONT mix seriously lol
Two women who work for my parents have degrees in History, and now they're working minimum wage at a gift store.

OWNED.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Also, who are you to determine what's "garbage"? History, philosophy, english, and art are just as important as math or science.
Quote by Dvl'

.......really???

Do you know how much landscapers get paid?
Quote by StreetLight3989
Also, who are you to determine what's "garbage"? History, philosophy, english, and art are just as important as math or science.
Not when it comes to getting paid.
alot of people in the UK spend 3 years doing a degree.....no one knows what they wanna do at the end of it....eveyone ive spoken to has no idae

one of my friends finished...hes working in Sainsburies :S

im taking a year out and travelling to alaska and around america first haha...well after i finish this degree and before i go back ot start my new one.

i was young though when i started uni..for my course...i was 18....most people are usually 19/20.
so bacially im finishing a year younger too
Quote by freedoms_stain
Not when it comes to getting paid.

Making a ton of money isn't important to everyone.
Quote by Dvl'

Actually pot has little to do with it. It is my main form of plant consumption so I would use my knowledge for that. But I just love nature and holistic medicines.
Death Cube K

Quote by primusfan
i know an old lady who supports abortion because it's generally low-class black women getting it performed and for her the less inner-city black kids (or blacks in general) there are, the better.

Oh Damn
Quote by StreetLight3989
Making a ton of money isn't important to everyone.

so how would you feel if you got a degree in geography and you ended up living on the streets and forced to work at mcdonalds. but so what right? cuz you know which rivers in the world are the longest so you're happy right?
It wasn't even a hundred years ago that people went to college or university to further understand something that they were interested in, you know a way to deepen their lives. Lots of people still hold true to that but most people nowadays go to uni to get a high paying job. People taking courses like history and philosophy aren't stupid because they probably aren't planning on using their degree for that to get a high paying job, or they're planning on using their degree to move to higher levels of education. Mind you uni is so friggin expensive nowadays that its pretty much not worth going unless you're going to get a high paying job out of it.
Quote by Wesseem
so how would you feel if you got a degree in geography and you ended up living on the streets and forced to work at mcdonalds. but so what right? cuz you know which rivers in the world are the longest so you're happy right?

There are some good jobs you can get with a history degree or geography, you could always go in to teaching. It's really limited, but there are still some good jobs. With an English degree you can always go into journalism, teaching, writing, and a bunch of other fields. Yeah, it's limited, but there are still needs for those kind of jobs. A lot of people would be just as miserable working as a doctor or something, making a lot of money, and hating what they do 12 hours a day.
Well, they got useless majors because if they got minors, they would be considered pedophiles
/lame joke

I mean, if you have your life in good tracks, and have a good job, etc, I don't see why people shouldn't get them (it would be a little more difficult to make a living with History major, etc)
The type of degree doesn't even matter, what a lot employers want to know is if you're smart enough to get a college degree.

Unlike the 70% that don't in America.
what exactly do you mean by useless majors? you can do plenty of stuff with history. it branches out. most history majors can become teachers or historians and just write textbooks and ****. art is everywhere. and philosophers usually write books.
im stupid. blahbalhblahblah
Quote by Audio™
The type of degree doesn't even matter, what a lot employers want to know is if you're smart enough to get a college degree.

Unlike the 70% that don't in America.

this is the first REAL reason i've gotten from anyone who is defending the 'useless' majors (i put quotes cuz i see that the word "useless" is offending some people)

i also heard someone mention jobs in teaching and yea...thats basically the same lousy answer i hear every single friggin time. those majors always lead to people teaching that same major. what kind of a stupid useless cycle is that. im learning latin so i can become a latin teacher and teach other kids to become latin teachers...waste of time and money.

and the idea of having a bad degree opposed to no degree is odd, why not save those thousands of dollars and invest them in something meaningful or learn a trade.
Quote by Rubbersoul 065
You do know that a philosophy degree is excellent if you want to be a lawyer...nah, im sure you knew that, you seem like a smart guy TS
..smart enough to know if I'm being sarcastic though? i dont know about that...

what you have failed to understand is that a lawyer's career is in LAW. not philosophy. you cannot be a lawyer with just a philosophy degree. all it does is help you to become one but you still need the major useful degree with it to become a lawyer.

nice try.
Some people just like to learn and expand their mind that is why they go to college. It's the best place to get acid.
Death Cube K

Quote by primusfan

Oh Damn
Dude, you're a TEENAGER, what exactly do you know about life/earning a living? You havent even graduated college. I could understand if you had a valid concern or wanted an intelligent discussion, but you obviously are just wanting to "enlighten" all of us that we should not take useless majors. Sorry man, but I cant take you seriously.
Last edited by Rubbersoul 065 at Jun 9, 2008,
Page 1 of 5