So I was planning on the Vox AD50VT but ended up getting the Crate Flexwave 120/212 combo. It sounds great and it's loud. Even though it's solid state, the technology has improved vastly in the Crate series of this amp. Well I looked in the back and it came stock with "custom design" speakers. Really really thin magnets. And I remember the guy who traded me the stack for the combo I gave him, kept making fun of how small the magnets in the cab were. So now I ask you, what does magnet size do for the speaker?
I got some good guitars, yo.
faiL

and it might sound good to you, which is what matters, but is still a horrible amp. I played one when they first came out with the Flexwave, and it was thin as hell, but enjoy.
Quote by Ghold125
faiL

and it might sound good to you, which is what matters, but is still a horrible amp. I played one when they first came out with the Flexwave, and it was thin as hell, but enjoy.

First off, a little side note on this amp-series from crate[with the Flexwave preamp] is that the High's are incredibly crisp: use with caution. I never turn it past 5. I always crank the mids up to 10 and the bass to about 4. On the OD channel. On the clean I set everything to 10. I put the gain at about 7 or so on the Solo channel and I put the shape at like 3. This proves optimal performance for the stock settings of the amp. I've played tube amps, and yes, they sound better. But this amp I can have really quiet or crank and it sounds the same. But your response was actually of no help at all, really.

Do note how bad tube amps sound at low volumes[when you want like 50 watts out of it] so I just bought a 120 watt SS amp instead.
Quote by Ghold125
FAIL

just so you know, i reported you. there is no reason to say something like that. it has no relevance to the topic and quite frankly im tired of reading things like this on the forum.

to TS, i cant really explain what the magnets do in a speaker. i do know that ceramic magnets, the ones in most speakers, are smaller than the more expensive AlNiCo magnets.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
just so you know, i reported you. there is no reason to say something like that. it has no relevance to the topic and quite frankly im tired of reading things like this on the forum.

to TS, i cant really explain what the magnets do in a speaker. i do know that ceramic magnets, the ones in most speakers, are smaller than the more expensive AlNiCo magnets.

Digged on google for a bit, since nobody seems to know. Basically the magnets keep a steady magnetic current for the coils wrapped around the speaker cone, and that somehow works. Makes the paper of the speaker push or pull closer to the cone. Either way that's how bass response works. Taking a speaker out of a cab of any sort will make it lose all low frequency capabilities, thus the magnet basically provides either sound quality and/or headroom of the amp.