Hey. Ive noticed this in alot of RHCP songs, and I was wondering how to place my fingers for things like this:
e|-----x--x--- x--x---x-------------- x-----------------------------------------|
B|-----7--6--- 7--6---6h7----(x7)-----7-----7--7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7------------------|
G|-----5- 5--- 5--5---5-------------- 5-----7--7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7------------------|
D|-----x- x--- x--x---x-------------- x-----7--7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7------------------|
A|---------------------------------------- 5--5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5------------------|
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

The part with all of the muting.

All along, I have done my own thing, fretting what it says with my middle, ring, and pinky fingers, and muting the rest by barring the fret behind it with my index. Im guessing that thats wrong.
just barre on the 5th with the index. I wouldn't worry about the muted strings. for the chord leave the barre and lay your ring finger over those notes on the 7th. Make sure you're using upstrokes or it won't sound funky
Quote by Free Time
Make sure you're using upstrokes or it won't sound funky

All Upstrokes?, or some sorta strum?
Ok now Im lost. Is there a certain technique to funk, or is it just as written. Im not sounding right on Charlie and this song.