Hey guys I've been looking for a good "shred" guitar (instrumental like Petrucci and Gilbert- which is the genre I'm most interested in playing) that can also make some versatile sounds (Alt rock- Foo Fighters, Classic Rock- Zeppelin ACDC) I have between 600-800 USD and I've started narrowing it down a bit

So far these ideas are all on reccomedations and I havn't gotten a chance to try any out, so if i could get you guys' input it'd be greatly appreciated...

By the way, I'd be playing them out of my Cube 60, and after this summer I'll prolly pick up a tube of some sort, Its just that I'm stuck with a really crappy starter guitar until then. any way these are the guitars I'm thinking of trying...

Jackson DK2M- Sounds good from specs, and also affordable, 24 frets and passive pups

Jackson DXMG- Little higher price & looks a seems a bit better than DK, but I'm worried about the active pickups lacking tonal versatility.

Ibanez S470DXQM- Looks nice, middle of the range pricing, but only has 22 frets, and I hear that Ibanez Stock pups are muddy as hell.

(also, my friend is recomending a schecter, but he doesn't really know much about shred, and didnt tell me a model to look at so I don't know about that)

So far I'm thinkin the DK2M, but If you guys have any input it'd really be helpful. Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Hamburglekins at Jun 9, 2008,
I didnt think ibanez was that great, but on some models the necks are really thin and great for shredding. But schecters are a great choice. Try to get one or their older models. The new stuff is ****. A damien would do nicely.
"He can dance if he wants too, he can leave his friends behind..."

Quote by Tsucchi
Because nothing is sexier than a man with a mouth full of crayons.
Schecter Hellraiser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I make house muuuusic!
www.soundcloud.com/sean-garfola

My Gear:
Schecter Tempest custom
Pro Co Rat Duecetone Distortion
Boss Space Echo
Boss Super Chorus
Line 6 Verbzilla
Digitech Jam-man
Peavey ValveKing 212
Quote by HoneyFUZZ_123
musicman axis with floyd all the way!!!

too expensive...read his price range
Quote by Kakatara

+1
Thats a great one too.
"He can dance if he wants too, he can leave his friends behind..."

Quote by Tsucchi
Because nothing is sexier than a man with a mouth full of crayons.
Quote by stormblown
ibanez rg 1570

great guitar

this one looks pretty nice actually... the only problem I had with the Ibanez in my post was the 22 frets...

Thanks for all the input so far guys, keep them comin, Ill be spending prolly three hours in the guitar store trying them all out though
ibanez s series skeet on all other guitars for the price
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Alright guys Im goin to the guitar store this sunday, so I'll try out all your suggestions (well maybe no all of them in one sitting ) thanks so far but add anything else you think of
Quote by stormblown
the rg 1570 has 24 frets and has an awesome trem

+1

shred machine, that guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Kakatara

+1
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Any Ibanez S series will be just fine
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by stormblown
ibanez rg 1570

great guitar

+1

24 frets too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by steven seagull
+1

shred machine, that guitar.

Okay then I have some questions about this guitar... (RG-1570)

Can I play more than shred on it through my current amp (cube 60) and get a versatile tone?

Will i need to replaces the puck ups? and if I do what should I put in?
^the sl3's a very nice guitar too. I know here it's a bit more expensive than the rg1570, but if it's a similar price in the states, it's worth a look too.

Quote by Hamburglekins
Okay then I have some questions about this guitar... (RG-1570)

(a) Can I play more than shred on it through my current amp (cube 60) and get a versatile tone?

(b) Will i need to replaces the puck ups? and if I do what should I put in?

(a) yes, especially if you switch the pickups.

(b) that really depends on the tones you're after and your budget. I was after versatility too in my rg470 (basically the same thing except with a more crap trem) and i have a swineshead warthog, spotlight and condor in it- that's basically a medium alnico V hot bridge pickup (something along the lines of a dimarzio paf pro or tone zone, i guess), vintage style single coil, and alnico II vintage style neck pickup. I'd go for something along the same lines for your versatility needs, except i might go with alnico V and a little higher output in the neck pickup for better shredding. it is up to you, of course, and there's more than one way to skin a cat, as they say...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
(a) yes, especially if you switch the pickups.

(b) that really depends on the tones you're after and your budget. I was after versatility too in my rg470 (basically the same thing except with a more crap trem) and i have a swineshead warthog, spotlight and condor in it- that's basically a medium alnico V hot bridge pickup (something along the lines of a dimarzio paf pro or tone zone, i guess), vintage style single coil, and alnico II vintage style neck pickup. I'd go for something along the same lines for your versatility needs, except i might go with alnico V and a little higher output in the neck pickup for better shredding. it is up to you, of course, and there's more than one way to skin a cat, as they say...

Ah, whereas in my GRG170DX (an even worse RG haha), I went for a Warthog/Dragonfly/Runaway. Great versatility but a little punchier than your choices. Great pickups for the money
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
^ yep, that'd be a nice selection for versatility, but a little more modern/harder with it. at the time i ordered, the pyro was the other alternative single coil, which was (if i recall correctly) very hot indeed, and really wasn't what i was after. I was probably more after vintage hot than vintage, but vintage was closer to what i was after than modern hot (as the pyro was, i think). went with the condor as i wanted a smooth lead tone as well as nice cleans...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Good choices mate I did consider long and hard between the Condor and the Runaway, but eventually went with the Runaway. Still nice cleans, but a probably a bit better for gain than cleans. The Warthog is great though, ain't it. My RG seems stupidly heavy, so combined with the Warthog and my Orange Rocker I sort of get a typical Les Paul through a Marshall sound. Strange really.

Never heard the Pyro though, so I take that it was hotter than the Dragonfly?

Can't recommend Swinesheads enough.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

i think so, yeah. the pyro was well over 10k if i remember right (though resistance isn't the only measure- the kent armstrong single in one of my eggles is allegedly 7.5k, and it's extremely hot! ), and it might have been ceramic too (not certain though, it may still have been alnico V).

i think jon recommended i go with the condor, and it was the one with the nicest soundclips too, so i was kinda happy to go with it.

i need to wire them in again, lol, i'm so lazy it's not even funny...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
10k? Haha, that's a joke >.< I can only imagine that it'd be a great neck pup for a shred guitar, but pretty much die on it's ass for single coil cleans!

Haha, what's wrong with the wiring mate? I'm considering adding push/pull pots to mine, particularly the neck. Might make it more versatile...might stick in a killswitch while I'm at it too. Why not, eh?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

oh, i wired it up wrongly at the start, then the spotlight went microphonic (which swineshead fixed with no quibbles, which was very nice), haven't got round to wiring them up again...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ibanez S5470, not just an S, but an S with 24 frets, makes the RGs cry...

but i tried the RG1570 very nice...not as good as the S5470 tho...
Quote by TheRstar
Ibanez S5470, not just an S, but an S with 24 frets, makes the RGs cry...

but i tried the RG1570 very nice...not as good as the S5470 tho...

Lol thanks for the suggestion, buts its a little outta my budget :p

Thanks again guys, Im thinkin with all the praise its gettin here I'm def. gonna test out that RG now.
evolutions set or a tone zone in the bridge and a air norton in the neck is an awesome combination for an rg 1570

great for shred and also very versatile
In the end about how much is a good set of pick-ups gonna cost?

Obviously without knowing what type its kinda a vague question but just for an estimate?
if you're in the USA you should be able to get an HSH set of duncans or dimarzios for under $200, i'd have thought. Maybe even $150.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get the Ibanez S over the RG IMO, much more comfortable, better tremolo, looks better. Only downside is the 22 frets, but once you get used to it there will be no problem. Needs a pickup change too.
Oh and the Cube is awsome for a modelling aswell.