I'm looking for a guitar as a christmas present to myself. Under $1500, preferably.

These are the things I like:

I don't care about controls.
I love my clean to be very twangy, with tone out of the ass , instead of that underwater clean that's good for chords.
With my distortion, I really want pickups that scream, where the distortion has tone from gain 1 to gain 10, and I can have a neo-classical sort of tone but mainly thrash metal and metal.
In the distortion I want it to be very very versatile.
I want low action, but not too low for unwanted fret buzz.
A Tremolo system is preferred.

I was thinking Dean Razorback, a lot of people have told me that but I thought I'd ask you guys.
Gear:

2004 PRS Swamp Ash Special
Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
I would reccomend a fender with a floyd rose, and humbucker in bridge postion, you can get them fairly cheap on ebay. Go for one made in either USA or Japan

Proud member of the Stratocaster Lover's Group
Ibanez S Prestige (might want to look into a pickup swap, I'm not much of a fan of the Dimarzio/ IBZ pickups)
Carvin (jeez... just take your pick)
Jackson SL3/ SL2

I'm especially lusting over an S Prestige... those would all be pretty versatile, though.

A Razorback would be awful for what you want. EMG's are pretty much the least versatile pickups known to mankind, and they've all got cheap Licensed Floyds.
i use an Ibanez RG2EX1. no tremelo, but it has passive EMGs that can be clean as hell or extremely metal. but this really plays a strong part in what amp ur using. i think it'll sound good through a Valveking. and it's only like $300. but if you dont choose this one, go with the Dean Razorback for sure.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Ibanez S Prestige (might want to look into a pickup swap, I'm not much of a fan of the Dimarzio/ IBZ pickups)
Carvin (jeez... just take your pick)
Jackson SL3/ SL2

I'm especially lusting over an S Prestige... those would all be pretty versatile, though.

A Razorback would be awful for what you want. EMG's are pretty much the least versatile pickups known to mankind, and they've all got cheap Licensed Floyds.

razorbacks dont all come with emgs.
+1 on s prestige ibanez
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
erm...epiphone prophesy series...and mostly all ibanez and jacksons and esp's...and...yeah, that should cover it. maybe schecter?emg's would be good for you...
Quote by Rojam
i use an Ibanez RG2EX1. no tremelo, but it has passive EMGs that can be clean as hell or extremely metal. but this really plays a strong part in what amp ur using. i think it'll sound good through a Valveking. and it's only like $300. but if you dont choose this one, go with the Dean Razorback for sure.

What? Passive EMG's = massive fail, plus he's looking for a nice guitar for less than $1500, not a $300 starter guitar.

Quote by athlete1
erm...epiphone prophesy series...and mostly all ibanez and jacksons and esp's...and...yeah, that should cover it. maybe schecter?emg's would be good for you...

EMG's would most definitely NOT be good for him. "Twangy cleans with tone out the ass"? Can't get those from EMG's.
yeah that ibanez is a badass guitar, i thought a tele would be good for the twang and a hot neck pickup would give you some edgier tones, but if youre wantin more shred and thrash the ibanez would prob be the way to go
if you like tone...yeah dont go for emg...uhm sounds like you need an ibanez with dimarrzios...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
My guitar teacher has a fernandes Strat copy with seymour duncan H/S/S setup and a floyd rose . I'm gonna try it out next monday.

Also, I don't like the Ibanez really because it has no inlays except at the 12th fret. It doesn't look too awesome on the website, either .
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
bump >.<
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Quote by aeliustehman
My guitar teacher has a fernandes Strat copy with seymour duncan H/S/S setup and a floyd rose . I'm gonna try it out next monday.

Also, I don't like the Ibanez really because it has no inlays except at the 12th fret. It doesn't look too awesome on the website, either .

Are the cosmetics the only thing you don't like about it? That's a pretty ****ty reason to not get a guitar.
Fender John 5 Signature.
Twangy, shreddy, badass looks, but no tremolo.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Are the cosmetics the only thing you don't like about it? That's a pretty ****ty reason to not get a guitar.

People always seem to belittle cosmetic value. Face it, cosmetics are important when it comes to a guitar to a lot of people, and there is no reason why they shouldn't be.

I mean, would you spend a substantial amount of money to buy a car that is powerful and handles well but that you think is ugly? I doubt it. You want to be proud of what you've invested in all around.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by TheProducer
People always seem to belittle cosmetics. Face it, cosmetics are important when it comes to a guitar to a lot of people, and there is no reason they shouldn't be.

I mean, would spend a substantial amount of money to buy a car that is powerful and handles well but that you think is ugly? I doubt it. You want to be proud of what you're invested in all around.

True, but I'd much rather have a car that handles and drives exactly the way I want it to but looks ugly than an awesome- looking car that doesn't drive quite as well.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
True, but I'd much rather have a car that handles and drives exactly the way I want it to but looks ugly than an awesome- looking car that doesn't drive quite as well.

I do agree with this, yes. But there is nothing wrong for looking for a balance between the two, as long as it's of good quality.
you could always check out the john5 telecaster, its got everything but the tremolo, although it does have the ****ty bigsby if you need it.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
Quote by deanexplosion99
maybe a dean from hell or a razorback, mostly if you like pantera.

I like any kind of thrash metal , so , yea
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
How open are you to Stratocaster-type guitars?
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
How open are you to Stratocaster-type guitars?

I like em.
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/instruments.asp?prcode=Invader
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/instruments.asp?prcode=InvaderPlus
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/instruments.asp?prcode=InvaderXL

That's the Invader series. They might be too "metal" for you, though, dunno how the cleans would be on them.

http://www.glguitars.com/ The Legacy series and the S-500 is probably worth your attention as well.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay