ok, so my friends and i are starting a "band" and by that i mean, we just jam a little and screw around while hanging out once every friday...

now one of them is going to be the "bassist"

he has a 1995 MIM fender precision bass from his grandfather

it's in pretty good condition (i guess) apart from the fact that it's got more than a few big dents in the body, badly needs new strings, very badly needs a new setup because the strings are like half an inch off the fretboard in some places.

his grandpa wants like $150 for it...

so my question to you is, would it be better/cheaper to just buy a new bass or should he keep the fender and fix it up?

btw, he'd only spend around 200 bucks max on a new bass. suggestions?
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Go for it. If it is only aesthetic problems and a in need of a setup you should be getting an alright deal.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
you won't find a better bass for $150. i say buy it now! the MIM's are great basses.
your friend will not be disappointed. don't worry about the cosmetics of the bass. get some new Rotosound strings, and have the shop do a set-up on the bass, then he is set, until you guy's sign a record deal.
Keep the fender and fix it up. It'll probably cost $50 in fixing-up anyway and you can't get a decent bass for that price... unless you want a Squier.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
get it. its a great deal and MIMs will last you for a while

and you dont know how much people will pay for those dents and scratches, heh
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
ok i guess my minds made up...

is a setup for a bass as much $ for a guitar set up? good string company? anyway i can fill in the dents? (they're pretty big...like stabwounds lol)
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
There have been dozens of threads on string choice and you may want to check those out, but Ben is right; its really a matter of preference.

Setups in the US can run from 25 - 60 USD and sometimes will include the cost of new strings. As I've said before, read the FAQ section about setup and intonation and if it doesn't make sense to you, get a shop or a competent friend to do it for you.

And dents can be beautiful--it means the bass has history and a story. Hell, people are paying 10K for distressed signature basses and guitars .
would you grace us with a picture?
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING