My strings are getting old and my regular strings are getting too expensive. Can anybody tell how string boiling works?
You put your strings in a pot of boiling water and let them get hot. They're sposed to return to their original shape as a result. Make sure to dry it right, or it'll cause rust.
Quote by Metallist65
You put your strings in a pot of boiling water and let them get hot. They're sposed to return to their original shape as a result. Make sure to dry it right, or it'll cause rust.

What's the right way of drying them?
There are several ways but baking them in an oven is the best way. There's directions in the FAQ for boiling strings and using methylated spirits to clean them.
I always wondered this, but do you cook them like corn? As in, you put them in a pot of room temperature water and keep them in there 'til it boils? Or do you put it in boioling water for a certain time?
Bales--here's how I used to do it. You bring a pot (that will never be used for cooking again...) of water to boil and add the strings and boil for about 20 minutes. Then you put them in the oven for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees F (200 C).

Let them cool and then put them back on your bass.

Its a bit of a pain to do, which is why I was glad when I discovered denatured alcohol. Throw them in the jar with the alcohol for a day and pull them out. Let 'em dry and you're done.