So today i decided to finally make progress on my little project:

(that SC is out of my squire from when i swapped them)

It's a Cruise (anyone ever heard of them??) and the head stock says Created for VAI or VMI, but i highly doubt its a Vai guitar...

I recived this gutiar as my very first electric, and my first guitar that was really even playable ( i had some old acoustic thing that was.. well.. i can't even describe how horible it was...).My closest friend at the time (haven't seen him in years.. he's had a pretty rough life..) gave it to me because he never used it since he got his Les Paul. So i used it for a while, learned alot of stuff on it, but i later wanted a strat, and i eventually got one ( a squire.. yippe) and some time later after that i pulled out the humbucker from this one and put it in the strat and i haven't touched it since.

so now i decided, what the hell, time for a project!

so onto the pictures:

Heres the front, all stripped down, ready to be sanded. As you can see i pulled off all the stickers to reveal some artowork i forgot about. My friend who gave it to me help me paint the flames. we used acrylic model paint and just went at it with paint brushes. oh well haha. Also note the Skull and cross bones, and the oh-so-rebellious anarchy symbol.

Yes, I too went through that stage...

And here is the back.

Incase you're wondering, i carved "Heart Shaped Box" into the back of it.

...And i ****ed it up. >.<

It was "Our song" with one of my ex's.
That and i just loved the song.

Side view. its pretty thin, and comfortable to play. I'm not sure if i'm going to modify the shape too much. It's also pretty light too.

So yeah... Cruise.. hmm...
It had pretty decent tone, and the 'bucker that came out of it still sounds pretty gnarly. and it played fantastic.

I dunno.. any info on it or the company would be great

So this was rather depressing to find...:

MDF or pratical wood. Wonderful. From what i'm told, this isn't too good. It's easy to shape though... i was hoping i'd find some sort of pretty wood grain under there, but no such luck..
Quote by Crimzin3
The Myth: Mesa amps were given to us by God, and sound as such.
The Truth: True. God is the CEO and Jesus does QC at Mesa...yup.

Last edited by Explicit User at Jun 9, 2008,
MAKING IT NAKED:

Yep.. all MDF

I managed to get out all the carvings and dents without losing alot of material, so that was good.

The neck came out good, which i was worried about.

its only a 21 fretter too.. oh well, i don't used them that high anyway, my Warlock has 24 frets and it RARELY use them.

So this is just the start. Let me know what you think, and if i could get some input about the body material (like i said, im pretty sure its MDF) and if i should just stop where im at, let me know.
MDF is used alot for sub box enclosers and cabnits (i believe) so i wasn't TOO worried about it. but if i could get some input on your feelings of it, please let me know. I'm still gonna go through with rebuilding it, just to start getting the hang of it for bigger projects down the road, and to have something to fiddlefuck around with. i also want to test my abilites to wire some crazy stuff up with this.

Next up: Possibly reshaping!

Kyledit:
i'll take any and all suggestions to consider, for ideas for mods. I'm open to pretty much anything
Quote by Crimzin3

Last edited by Explicit User at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by carousel182
nice man, it sucks it's MDF though.

Thanks

What exactly will that effect? its there going to be no sustain, horrible tone?
i haven't played it plugged in for years..

Anyone have any experience with MDF guitars?
Quote by Crimzin3

Good idea about using this for a practice project. Since its drilled for 3 pots, it would be cool if you wired a humbucker with a concentric vol/tone control, a coil split, and maybe a booster switch or a kil switch or something like that into it, since you dont need a pickup switch.
Quote by qotsa1998
Good idea about using this for a practice project. Since its drilled for 3 pots, it would be cool if you wired a humbucker with a concentric vol/tone control, a coil split, and maybe a booster switch or a kil switch or something like that into it, since you dont need a pickup switch.

It's like you read my mind, i was thinking all of that stuff haha
Quote by Crimzin3

It's gonna have a bad tone and bad sustain. Wood type doesn't affect the sound as much as you'd think, you'll be fine for what your doing. If you really want to, build a new body, but it wouldn't be worth it most likely. You most likely will get a decent amount of people that tell you to scrap the body.
Quote by carousel182
It's gonna have a bad tone and bad sustain. Wood type doesn't affect the sound as much as you'd think, you'll be fine for what your doing. If you really want to, build a new body, but it wouldn't be worth it most likely. You most likely will get a decent amount of people that tell you to scrap the body.

Yeah thats what i was thinking. i never really understood how the body material affects tone.. but oh well.

It's not like im a professional artist, i just play by my self in my room haha. I'm sure i'll love it when its done
Quote by Crimzin3

^ haha thats all I really do as well. I'm not a serious guitar player. I love building guitars more than playing.
Quote by carousel182
^ haha thats all I really do as well. I'm not a serious guitar player. I love building guitars more than playing.

yeah, i've always dreamed of doing some stuff with this guy, but i just never got around to it. im probably ording the pickup today, but im not too sure what to get.. i'll post it up when i order one
Quote by Crimzin3

Okay, I just ordered a Dragonfire EVH active humbucker, and i read a few reviews and it's claimed to be hotter than active EMG's so i figured i'd give it a shot. and its pre wired
Quote by Crimzin3

awesome man, I always love ordering parts, it always gets me excited to start building. I'll be painting a guitar tomorrow, when will you be painting yours?
hahai dunno man, i was planning on trying to "Figure" the top (like a schecter) and maybe do some abalone binding.. i still have no idea on what color im going to paint it haha.
you have a link to your build?
Quote by Crimzin3

I think abalone binding is spending a bit much on this guitar :p aha
Still use binding, and this will be a great practice, but abalone can get expensive.

I wouldn't throw too much money into this, if you wanna do some pickup changing, hardwear replacements and electrical components, fancy wiring etc, have a look at www.guitarfetish.com. GFS are good cheap pickups and will make this guitar sound playable
yeah i changed my mind on the abalone haha..

BUT!

i think im going to try to wire in a digitech synth wah INTO the guitar. i have two of these pedals and one is disassembled and needs a new switch anyway.. so i think it's worth a shot no? that way i can tweak it while its on the guitar.

the downside: that effect eats batterys.. and it could be quite a bitch to pull do it.. we'll see with time.
Quote by Crimzin3

Quote by Explicit User
yeah i changed my mind on the abalone haha..

BUT!

i think im going to try to wire in a digitech synth wah INTO the guitar. i have two of these pedals and one is disassembled and needs a new switch anyway.. so i think it's worth a shot no? that way i can tweak it while its on the guitar.

the downside: that effect eats batterys.. and it could be quite a bitch to pull do it.. we'll see with time.

Yea do anything too it. Lots of pedals get put into guitar. In my sig i'm doing a guitar with a fuzz factory and Kaoss pad pad in it. Anything is possible
im going to try to do most of the stuff i want first ( body shaping and such) then im going for the pedal install. maybe the other way around though.. what do you guys think i should do first?

it WILL require routing out the back. i have to find a good spot to not weaken the guitar or interfere with other stuff.

Im assumeing its bad to route under the bridge, right? esspecially since its MDF
Quote by Crimzin3

yea, depending on how deep your routing I would not route directly under the bridge. I've seen it done behind the bridge though. you want to get all of the routing done before you do any shaping.
Quote by carousel182
yea, depending on how deep your routing I would not route directly under the bridge. I've seen it done behind the bridge though. you want to get all of the routing done before you do any shaping.

yeah that's what figured.

and yeah, i realized that i should route first, because if i screw it up, all the time is wasted, and i would want to shape around the holes. well, this project just got a little more complicated haha
Quote by Crimzin3