Hi UGs,
Am new in this. Have not much idea of what bass amp to get for an upgrade from Laney RB2 amp.
My budget is around $200-300.
Just for practice and maybe play with some guitarists. I got my eyes on two amps. Which one do you think is better?
Peavey MAX115
Roland CB-30

Any other bass amps you would like to recommend is kindly appreciated.

Extra question: Which is more vital for tone and sound production, the bass or the amplifier?
The amp is more important. And there is a big difference between practice and playing with guitarists. If you want to start jamming and playing shows, your price range will get you nowhere. So if you don't really have anymore money, but want to play with guitarists, take a look at a Carvin BR15. Its a bit over your price range, but it should stand up to a guitarist.
Thanks IndianRockStar. Ill take a look at Carvin BR15. Okay, mostly its just for practice one because I'll jam with guitarists in studios. Any other thoughts? Peavey MAX115 or Roland CB30?
Quote by rejected1
Thanks IndianRockStar. Ill take a look at Carvin BR15. Okay, mostly its just for practice one because I'll jam with guitarists in studios. Any other thoughts? Peavey MAX115 or Roland CB30?

See there aren't any really boutique practice amps for bass like there kinda is for guitar. You may as well get an amp get a nice reliable amp from a good company, that has a tone you like. Just go try out the amps and see which one you like the most. The 15" speaker in the Peavey, however, will get you more lows than you would through the Cube's 10".
Quote by IndianRockStar
Just go try out the amps and see which one you like the most. The 15" speaker in the Peavey, however, will get you more lows than you would through the Cube's 10".

Thanks I actually didn't realise that.

Yea i googled the Ashdown Electric Blue series. Priced at about 300. Nice too but I dont know if my country sell any. I'd have to to check it out. Thanks for letting me know.
Quote by esposito123
id look at the electric blue series from ashdown. Great amps.

great value for money, or warwicks. roland sounds too fake cos its all digital. peavey has limited tone control, its just loud.
could always get it from ebay, theyd ship it to mars if youve got the money.......
LOL even if eBay can send it here (Malaysia) I don't think i wanna risk the damages.

I already checked so far my country dont have the Carvin and Ashdown amps.
How about Bugera amps? Specifically which model do you guys recommend.
Save up another hundred dollars, get something a little bigger.

I think your going to find that you dont have as much power as you need. With a bit more you can compete with drums, more guitars, whatev...
Even if Bugera did do bass amps (which they don't) it's just unecessary. Plus you'd never get any of their stuff for your price range.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Oh really? XD I thought Bugera had bass amps. I wasn't checking right then. I heard of Hartke. Okay, if i increase my price range by a hundred dollars. Hmm... What would be your recommendations? Is Fender Rumble a good bass amp in tonality?
Last edited by rejected1 at Jun 11, 2008,
Yup we have Gallien Krueger. I saw a combo Backline 112 i guess. Is it worth it compared to the Roland and Peavey ones. I haven't tried them though. They said they had to order them first.
Last edited by rejected1 at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by rejected1
LOL even if eBay can send it here (Malaysia) I don't think i wanna risk the damages.

I already checked so far my country dont have the Carvin and Ashdown amps.
How about Bugera amps? Specifically which model do you guys recommend.

Bugera = Behringer

in short avoid like the plague
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Galien Krueger are meant to have really good tone, duff mckagan and flea uses them. really clear nice punchy tone, i would say superior to hartke.
Quote by Double Basser
Bugera = Behringer

in short avoid like the plague

Bugera make some of the nicest guitar amps on the planet, they are fantastic.

I'd probably rather go for a Rivera, but still, my point stands:

BUGERA =/= Behringer in any form whatsoever.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Bugera is owned by Behringer
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
The gallien-krueger backline series doesn't sound good at all. Look at the Electric Blue. Or maybe a used MAG.
Quote by hippiebass
The gallien-krueger backline series doesn't sound good at all. Look at the Electric Blue. Or maybe a used MAG.

They dont have ashdowns over where he is
i thought bugera was a make of speakers.
the fender rumble is a good amp if you can get it i ve got it and its fine
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Thanks for all your suggestions and coming back again to put out your thoughts. Yup, I heard Bugera isn't bad although they are under Behringer. One guy told me he had some stocks of Bugera bass amp but I wasn't sure. Sorry about that.
and yes my place doesn't ship in Ashdown's.
I realised I really gotta test the amps myself to know which is best for me. Thanks for all replies.