So I've been wanting to take some self-defense courses lately, because I feel it's important. I wanted to take Krav Maga, but there aren't any liscened schools near me. I was thinking of taking martial arts, but this friend of mine took taekwondo (Sp?), and it took him 4-5 years to get his blackbelt. I'm not looking for a long term thing like that. Just a good program that will teach me what I need to know.

Anyone have ideas?
Hire older brother's, and you'll catch on pretty quick.
Seriously though, Aekido is good for learning the basics, same with Judo on using their own weight and force against them.
any krav maga course. youll be turned into an ultra deadly fighting machine
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
make friends with Jason Bourne
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by abdulalhazred

LOL did you even read my post? I said I wanted to take it but there aren't any liscensed schools near me.
4-5 years????

Talk about your accelerated course......

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by abdulalhazred

Agreed.
Quote by ckellingc
puffycow, you rock

Quote by Krieg Commando
Puffycow, you've got mojo

touch me
Quote by InvaderTSN

This man has nothing on Bas Rutten.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D3K-mrlYG7Y

Also lol at all the people who think Krav Maga is actually useful.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

TaeKwonDo is the best leg technique for like power etc.. but you dont NEED to learn a martial arts... you could just go round beating people up in the street
Actually, I'm quite interested in learning one too....which one would be good for upper body strength and such? I would like to learn a martial art, but I'm not sure about which one.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Spamwise
Right...and Israel doesn't have one of the most effective armies in the world.

Their army is so effective because of them gouging out all of their enemies eyes out with their thumbs, yesh?
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

Quote by Godly Moose
Their army is so effective because of them gouging out all of their enemies eyes out with their thumbs, yesh?

Yep.
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Jeet Kune Do are my top choices. Both have real-world applicability.
Hi, I'm Peter
Also for this thread, OP try training in MMA. You'll get the best of all worlds. Clinching, on the ground, stand up, closing range, making range, fighting from guard, take down defense, sub defense, takedowns, etc.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

Quote by Godly Moose

You think that the IDF shoots any man causing attacking a soldier with a non lethal weapon?
They use Krav Maga for self defense, and it looks like it works for them.

Quote by Dirk Gently
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Jeet Kune Do are my top choices. Both have real-world applicability.

Isn't Jeet Kune Do going to take a lot of time to learn and apply, like TKD or Karate?
Also MMA or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu aren't going to help you much in a short range.
I think that the TS just wants a quick way to learn to defend himself. A place that will teach you hand grabs, sensible parts in the body that you can punch...
A simple and quick self defence art.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Jun 9, 2008,
Quote by Godly Moose
Also for this thread, OP try training in MMA. You'll get the best of all worlds. Clinching, on the ground, stand up, closing range, making range, fighting from guard, take down defense, sub defense, takedowns, etc.

I just looked it up. Do you know if it's a requirement to participate in competitions? Because I really would not be into that. I just want to be able to protect myself or others if I need to.
Quote by Spamwise
I just looked it up. Do you know if it's a requirement to participate in competitions? Because I really would not be into that. I just want to be able to protect myself or others if I need to.

Of course that it isn't.
You can also practice boxing just for fun for example.
No sport is going to make you compete if you don't want to.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
Isn't Jeet Kune Do going to take a lot of time to learn and apply, like TKD or Karate?

JKD is essentially the martial art of doing whatever it takes to neutralize an opponent. And ANY martial art will take time to learn how to effectively defend yourself.

Short time range or short attacking range? I can show a person in about an hour how to choke someone out, how to escape a headlock, and how to break someone's arm.
I think that the TS just wants a quick way to learn to defend himself. A place that will teach you hand grabs, sensible parts in the body that you can punch...

But again, all of those will take practice and time. It's not as if you have time to grab a guy and go "ok, so my hand goes here, and I do this, then..." It has to be snap responses. Any martial art is going to require dedication to get something tangible out of it.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
JKD is essentially the martial art of doing whatever it takes to neutralize an opponent. And ANY martial art will take time to learn how to effectively defend yourself.

Short time range or short attacking range? I can show a person in about an hour how to choke someone out, how to escape a headlock, and how to break someone's arm.

But again, all of those will take practice and time. It's not as if you have time to grab a guy and go "ok, so my hand goes here, and I do this, then..." It has to be snap responses. Any martial art is going to require dedication to get something tangible out of it.

Obviously, everything needs dedication. But I think that we both can agree on the fact that you will be able to defend yourself quicker if you box, than if you practice TKD. It's just easier to apply in a real life fight.
(Notice that I practice TKD).
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Eh, I've done boxing. The results aren't as immediate as you think because everyone can throw a punch. Besides, if someone rushes you or takes you down, boxing can't really help you.
Hi, I'm Peter

Oh of course. I just don't want to be in this same course well into my 20's, you know?
Well, you get out of it what you put into it. I'm a white belt in BJJ. I've been studying for about 10 months total. Even though my knowledge is tiny compared to another BJJ practitioner, I'm damn sure I could hold my own against 95% of the general public in a straight up fight. But I don't even do it for the self-defense, just for the sport. It's an addiction, really. I'm 29. My instructor is in his early 30s and has been doing it for over a decade. He's got an important job in the state government, and just happens to be a BJJ black belt. My class is all college students, law students, we have a doctor, a local business owner, amateur MMA fighters, all types of guys.
Hi, I'm Peter
Silat and Ninpo are great for self defense, but you'll gain so much more as well.
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
Well what do you want a black belt or just to take a class?
Who cares how long it takes?
Just take a taekwon do or karate or similar class.

And Krav Maga is not something widely found outside of the Israeli Army, so dont get your hopes up kid.
I dont know what youre looking for so....
Quote by dougl126
Well what do you want a black belt or just to take a class?
Who cares how long it takes?
Just take a taekwon do or karate or similar class.

And Krav Maga is not something widely found outside of the Israeli Army, so dont get your hopes up kid.
I dont know what youre looking for so....

There are actually about 40-50 certified schools that teach it in the US. Three in the state I live in, but they're all on the other side of the state.
I agree with the person that recommended MMA. This guy I sat with at lunch started a few months back and he said that he feels like he sees a lot more potential in himself and he feels safer than he used to just by knowing how to protect himself.

Also, Krav Maga takes no quarter. It's probably one of the most useful forms of martial arts on the planet. It teaches you to use lethal force in real life situations. That's one of the reasons it's not really a competitive sport.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
The problem, though, is that fighting styles that focus on lethality aren't necessarily the best for the street, especially since the threshold for what's acceptable reasonable force for someone who has martial arts knowledge is lower than for someone who doesn't. You could end up killing someone in "self-defense" and end up going to jail for manslaughter or murder.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
The problem, though, is that fighting styles that focus on lethality aren't necessarily the best for the street, especially since the threshold for what's acceptable reasonable force for someone who has martial arts knowledge is lower than for someone who doesn't. You could end up killing someone in "self-defense" and end up going to jail for manslaughter or murder.

Exactly, that's what I wanted to point out mainly to the guy that said "I lol at you guys thinking Krav Maga is something amazing" or something like that. Krav Maga is serious business that should only be utilized when you intend to kill your opponent. Maximum threat neutralization.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
^Krav Maga schools don't teach lethal force. They teach how to disarm and incapacitate your opponent.
The Gun Shop.

Provided you can shoot, there's your self defense course right there.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by urik
You think that the IDF shoots any man causing attacking a soldier with a non lethal weapon?
They use Krav Maga for self defense, and it looks like it works for them.

What do you mean by, "short range"? As in time? Or distance?
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

The biggest "self defense" point behind MMA is going to be confidence or taking a beating (unless you're getting bullied by Chuck Liddell). MMA doesn't run on real-world principles...it's a fight sport. Self defense isn't the same kind of fighting. For self defense, you're going to want something that teaches you to escape basic self defense situatinos as well as something that will teach you to identify such situations and be proactive. Basically, the only thing that's going to teach you to do this right out of the box is a self defense course like rape preventino that's offered for women.

All martial arts will teach you things on day one. Usually (except in the case of the extremely traditional schools or some judo/ju-jitsu schools) these are more than enough to give you the edge in a self-defense situation. However, martial arts always run on a bigger picture. THey have a philosophy of sorts that cannot be taught or grasped in just a short tmie period. Krav Maga, for instance, has a very brutal, no-nonsense approach that only really makes sense for IDF if you tihnk about it. Taekwondo (my home style) wants to utilize speed and flexibility (although we are beginning to learn the flaws behind using these exclsively and borrow from other techniques).

Basically, if you want to be an effective fighter in a street-manner, the only way to do it is going to be to get multiple black belts. Keep in mind, though, as you approach studying a style, that most 'real world' altercations are either settled within 18 seconds or take over 13 minutes to resolve. Peace. Out.
Classifieds mod said this didn't count as trying to sell anything, I'll say it here:

If you're looking to be able to take credit cards in-person (not over the internet where paypal will work), pm me and I can hook you up with the stuff you need.
The problem with something like rape prevention classes is that it primarily teaches women how to use everyday objects, such as their keys, to maim or kill someone. But again, the legal threshold for what is acceptable self-defense for a woman is higher than a man.
Hi, I'm Peter