this isnt even something that i can get a definite answer for but i guess just some input would be good. a lot of times when im playing i just like to mess around and make riffs and improvise until i hit something i like and then go with it for awhile (although i have to admit my creativity is a bit stuck in box patterns), but the thing i dont understand is that most of the time the stuff i play sounds quite bluesy. i dont really listen to blues at all and i usually play with a fair amount of distortion, yet i struggle to get a harder rock or metalish sound from it. any thoughts on this phenomenon?
Quote by loganrocksabass

how can your girlfriend be in your band if she's in the kitchen?
If you're stuck in box patterns, you're probably playing the minor pentatonic scale, which will often sound bluesy because of your phrasing and note choice.
umm cause you are a crap guitarist.. nah, its probably just the notes.
Learn more "metal" scales like the natural minor, diminished, and chromatic scales.
Yes the last one was a joke.
Quote by ratm92
this isnt even something that i can get a definite answer for but i guess just some input would be good. a lot of times when im playing i just like to mess around and make riffs and improvise until i hit something i like and then go with it for awhile (although i have to admit my creativity is a bit stuck in box patterns), but the thing i dont understand is that most of the time the stuff i play sounds quite bluesy. i dont really listen to blues at all and i usually play with a fair amount of distortion, yet i struggle to get a harder rock or metalish sound from it. any thoughts on this phenomenon?

Learn some hard rock or metalish sounding riffs /songs. Figure out what scales & chords they used.

Spend some time doing that, and if your open to it, explore some other styles.

Then revisit your creative endeavors when you have more to work with.
shred is gaudy music
Do you know any hard rock/metal songs? How do your riffs compare with the riffs in those songs?

Edit: Read this and GuitarMunky's post for emphasis.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Do you know any hard rock/metal songs? How do your riffs compare with the riffs in those songs?

Edit: Read this and GuitarMunky's post for emphasis.

most of the stuff i know falls under ratm/audioslave/soundgarden so its not like i have really light influences and want to play heavy stuff
Quote by loganrocksabass

how can your girlfriend be in your band if she's in the kitchen?
Quote by ouchies
YOU'RE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH !! GET METAL

Anyway, its most likely your phrasing, so listen to more metal and "copy" a few riffs and mold them. Try and understand how they work a little better

+1,000,000

Phrasing will make all the difference; ESPECIALLY with stuff like RATM. You could probably, fairly easily, take a song by them and using the same notes, chords/voicings, and everything but just change the phrasing and the tone, come up with an entirely different sound.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
make her scream ....not weep all de time

Why would playing a pentatonic scale or any scale be in a box ?
if you only know 1 box...then learn the rest of the 5 box pattern
and string them together to get the entire fretboard.
It's broken down into five single box shape so it'll be easier to learn or remember.

I think most of the stuff on kill'em all are pentatonic.

I use an Octive FX thing of maloo to give it that heavy over the top sound.lol

Here's some simple things you can build on of the pentatonic basic box shape or pattern. pharsing helps.
The X dos not represent anything. I just put it in as a visual
so maybe you'll see the penta box shape.
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
---X-----6--7--------
---5---------7--8---
---5---------7--8---

----------------------
----------------------
---------------------
------5---------7----
--4--5---------7--8--
------5---6--------X--