Page 1 of 3
Alrighty, so i believe i have made my decision on this guitar. I always see super-strats... well the telecaster has always been my favorite body shape... so ****. super-tele time. 24 frets, angled fretboard 22 bass side, 24 treble. I want some totally radical pickups... so i think i am going to do a tilted single coil to match the fretboard angle... a Dream-90 from GFS, and the GFS Loud-mouth pickup. The single coil will probably end up being just a random one from GFS or something, open to recommendations.

Got the koa/maple top, highly figured, glued up today, here it is before gluing :

Id like to put a wilkinson VS100 tremolo on it... but i might go with a stop-tail bridge. The last thing i want with this guitar is a tuning problem. All chrome hardware, one pot (Concentric volume/tone)... a PRS 5-way rotary switch.

As for the body wood, i have no idea!!?!?! I want to do Red Oak, chambered, just to show everyone that oak is a great tone wood, no one thinks it is because no one uses it, its a simple fact. Ash has the same grain structure as oak, and its just as heavy and dense, the only reason people like ash is because its used in fender and whatever else guitars... I might do mineral-streaked poplar, looks aawesome. Maybe some big-leaf maple... I dont know?! not alder, not basswood, not walnut.

The neck is going to be solid rosewood.

The fretboard i really want some crazy birdseye maple, playing it raw, but i might do pau-ferro, or just rosewood. really not sure.

tell me whats up dudes.
I cant wait man, this is going to be sexy!
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
very nice. i plan on starting a build very soon myself
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens~jimi hendrix

My Gear:
ESP kH-202
Crate FXT 120
yamaha 500(keyboard)
1967 fenderbandmaster halfstack
schecter c1 hollow body
Pedals:
original crybaby wah
flutter pedal
boss mt-2
Go with the oak body, that'll b sweet

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Birdseye maple fretboards look awesome. That is what I used on my build.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
So i took a trip to the lumber yard today. Got 8/4 sapelle mahogany, 15'' wide, 12 foot long, for 140 dollars. It was roughly 7-8 one piece bodies. im going to chamber it, and glue my top on tomorrow. got the truss rod routed and about to do the final shaping on the neck.
Quote by eXperiment63
He isn't doing a multiscale, he is just angling the end of the fretboard.

but if he is having more frets on one side than the other, then surely it must be a multiscale

i might be wrong though, i have minimal knowledge of these things
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
very cool, i'll be watching this for sure. color might look a bit off with a red wood back of the body, redish neck and the maple sides... that is of course if you do a oil/clear coat finish... which a guitar of that design must have. maybe stain? im not a fan of color stain however. either way nice idea.
Quote by CrowLord
but if he is having more frets on one side than the other, then surely it must be a multiscale

Scale length is dictated by the distance between the nut and the bridge.

Frets have nothing to do with it, you can fit as many in as you want, or have none

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Heres the neck/fingerboard... (you cant even tell its a 2-piece headstock, hehehehehe.)

Heres the Maho/sapele body blank...

This guitar is going to sound amazing, look at the growth rings, its going to resonate very well. it must have grown in a drought or something...

Its going to be chambered, not sure how much i want to take off though.
This is looking really nice. Great join on the headstock :p aha.
Looking foreward to the update
love the neck and that top!!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by LP Addict
no, not multi-scale. learn what scale length and intonation is, then try again.

no need to take the mick man, the only guitar i have ever seen with more frets on one side than the other is the Ormsby multi scale. Im not a guitar builder, so there is no need to flame me for not being as knowledgable as you. I am very interested as how you would do this, so I will be keeping watch.
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
its like some of the ovation acoustic . think ot that the frets are straight but the board is angled
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
i completely agree with you on the thing about too many super strats - teles just look nicer imo

that guitar is looking sahweeet cant wait to hear wat its like

have you heard any other guitars made of oak? it sounds like an interesting tone
Quote by alaskan_ninja
I personally prefer 33 A.D. when they finally killed that bastard Jesus.

^ BRILLIANT^

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
no, no one uses it. no one ever builds oak guitars, yet somehow its commonly known to have a bad sound (bull****). Wood is wood. its the same damn thing as Ash, with a different name. you stain ash a red-oak stain, you cannot tell the two apart, color, density, grain structure, etc. both are heavy as **** also. I have seen oak used as a fingerboard, and it worked very well. i decided to go with sapelle... i want to make an oaktar though. i will likely do it and chamber it, and put an oak top on it, research its bending properties and maybe do the oak neck/fingerboard. just to spit all the tone-assholes who say its a bad wood, becase the guitar would sound awesome.
You didn't put anything there to protect the wood from the harsh metal of the c-clamps?
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
nah, its ebony, plus its 1/16'' too thick, so it will be sanded alot anyways. also its already CnC radiused, so anything flat on top would not work very well, plus its alot easier to control where it sits with nothing on top than a radius block. i hate pinning necks, its a pain. all you gotta do is know where the C-clamp wants to call its home and you are set.

SET NECK OR BOLT ON?!?!

i cannot decide. i strongly despise bolt on necks, but i would make it a press-fit bolt on if i have to (basically.. i use a clamp to press the neck into the body sturdily, then bolt it in, giving the same benefits as a set neck, but its removable). Basically the neck joint would be tighter than a... well ill get banned again if i say anything about asian teenagers. but you get the idea.

Set neck might be a pain to make the extended neck joint for the gluing and ****....
Last edited by LP Addict at Jun 12, 2008,
eh, i am thinking it would BE cool, but this neck blank was .8'' thick to begin with, id have to glue an adder piece to it to even get the thickness id need to make it a set neck... if i make this a bolt on, i would be making ANOTHER set neck guitar very similiar to this. maybe i will just make THAT one the 27 fretter...

plus the heel would be like this :
http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-Guitar-And-Bass-Neck-Plate-Chrome-New-2008_W0QQitemZ360060257554QQihZ023QQcategoryZ85856QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

nice and comfy for fret access..
Quote by jscustomguitars
The holes for your machineheads arent level

and the headstock still has 1/16'' of shaping left to do. its tough to see but :

Fingerboards glued up, evened with the neck, tomorrow is body levelling time, then laminating the top on.

I decided on a bolt on neck, after researching and doing some math a set neck is not a wise choice in this case (or in any case probably, from what ive looked at today). 15.15 square inches of wood to wood gluing space is not enoguh to consistently hold up to 220 lbs of pressure (standard tuning at 25.5'' scale length). Ive decided to do a press-fit bolt on neck, i managed to get some curved neck plates so i can contour the heel. I figured it would be wise since i am applying no finish at all on my neck, and incase it warps, takign it off would be a necessity. today i am rough cutting the body and the top, and drill pressing some chambers in the body. tomorrow gluing the top on, shaping the neck. hopefully anyways. im gonna be ballsy and try shaping the neck roughly with an angle grinder, if i can get decent at it, shaping necks will take no time at all.
instead of a hardtail, i'd suggest a Fender or a normal bigsby bridge, they dont require any routing and you wont get tuning problems
^uh, bigsbys have the WORST tuning stability ive ever seen....if u do go bigsby, locking tuners, and FENDER brand....if u put a normal bigsby on a fender, u will be cursed!!!!!!!!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Page 1 of 3