Page 1 of 2
My knowledge of punk is limited. My expertise is mostly in grind and some crust, and the obvious punk bands everyone needs to know. I listen to mostly metal, and dabble in other genres (well actually I listen to other genres all the time, but you know what I mean). Anyway, my question is, how the hell did hardcore turn from what was circa 1983 and become what it is today?

Was it just people listening to way to much Agnostic Front and eventually throwing in elements from the groove metal of Pantera. Then once screamo came around it was obvious for a lot of kids to mix Thursday with their favorite hardcore bands of the day? Honestly I have no idea, and if someone would please do a history lesson, I would much appreciate it.
CAN YOU FEEL THE GROOVE?
Pagan, you're in Jersey, where Hardcore is still decent. I live in Savannah f***ing Georgia where the Hot Topic crowd is thick as flies and the circle pit is filled with 14-year-old kids trying to slam dance and cry when they get slugged (usually by me). History of Hardcore:
Hardcore began in Jersey as a fusion of the best parts of punk (speed and angst) and metal (heaviness and anger).
Hardcore died when Hatebreed and Throwdown became cool in the Dirty South.
The End.
I will call you out from shelter burn your wings and learn their letters
Understanding how genres began and developed is like trying to make sense out of certain recipes. Who thought that salad needed a dressing?
What? Hardcore is still the same man. What bands are you talking about exactly?
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
Hardcore bands began adapting metal into their sound mid 80's and became crossover. Crossover became thrash and metalcore was born from blends of hardcore with deathmetal/old school metal/thrash.

Screamo started with emo bands who shot off from the 80's hardcore scene to be more introspective than traditional hardcore bands, who then adapted high pitch screams to represent anguish, etc.

Most simple way I can describe it.
he's right about the 14 year olds, but there's another element...these kids are all upset that they have such bad lives and that they need some kind of vessel even though the average Canadian "hardcore kid" as i know them as, has enough money to drive BMW's and the parents to put 4 kids through university twice each...

that's a little over the top, but the point is... imo punk was derived from poor people singing about their poor lives....

now these kids think they have everything so fecking hard so they try and look different from the crowd of people, and find some kind of happiness
Quote by twocenttip
Pagan, you're in Jersey, where Hardcore is still decent. I live in Savannah f***ing Georgia where the Hot Topic crowd is thick as flies and the circle pit is filled with 14-year-old kids trying to slam dance and cry when they get slugged (usually by me). History of Hardcore:
Hardcore began in Jersey as a fusion of the best parts of punk (speed and angst) and metal (heaviness and anger).
The End.

Jersey!?

Try So-Cal, and Washington D.C.?
Quote by filthylittleboy
that's a little over the top, but the point is... imo punk was derived from poor people singing about their poor lives....

Hardcore is about being ****ing pissed off, and hurt, regardless of why you're suffering. Its about hardship. Economical, Political, Social, Problems with your Job, Problems with your family. Its about whatever is eating at you right now, and making you wanna scream your head off while slamming on a guitar/bass/drums.

You don't have to be poor to make good hardcore music.

And the silence is the violence of the sex and dying of the middle classes
And the silence is the violence of the sex and dying of the upper classes
And the silence is the violence of the sex and dying of the lower classes
Quote by twocenttip
The End.

I won't deny that I like some hardcore. But somehow hardcore went from Agnostic Front and Minor Theat to stuff like Hatebreed and Throwdown, to stuff like Emmure and The Devil Wears Prada. How did that happen?

And too the dude with the salad analogy. Recipes by nature make sense, they are a listed order of what to do in order to create something. Obviously hardcore evolved, just like metal evolved over the years. I have been able to figure out the history of metal (without the help of that dumb documentary), but I have yet to figure out the history of hardcore. Not my fault, you're a ****ty cook, haha.
CAN YOU FEEL THE GROOVE?
Quote by Pagan Terrorism
. But somehow hardcore went from Agnostic Front and Minor Theat to stuff like Hatebreed and Throwdown, to stuff like Emmure and The Devil Wears Prada. How did that happen?

Wrong
Hardcore today sounds nothing like those bands.
without fun
hope you had a good time
Quote by tomohawkjoe
Wrong
Hardcore today sounds nothing like those bands.

Well, enlighten me dude. Isn't the point of this thread, me asking you guys with knowledge to explain to me a history of hardcore (and not the early **** everybody knows with Black Flag and Minor Threat)?
CAN YOU FEEL THE GROOVE?
Quote by Aveks
Nobody read my posts.

D:

Its weird because it would of answered his question if he had read your post and understood that the bands he listed are not hardcore.
without fun
hope you had a good time
Quote by Pagan Terrorism
Well, enlighten me dude. Isn't the point of this thread, me asking you guys with knowledge to explain to me a history of hardcore (and not the early **** everybody knows with Black Flag and Minor Threat)?

I already explained it, son!
hardcore didn't die.
music genres cant die.
revivals are bull****, the music has always been there someway, somehow.
how hardcore from the 80s turned into hardcore today like comeback kid, have heart, bane, etc. is the influence of bands like youth of today, gorilla biscuits, etc.
True music fans would understand that just because some MTV show throws a hardcore label on some metalcore, doesn't mean it IS hardcore. True hardcore still exists. It always will.
sorry i just kind of scimmed through this thread so if this was arleady said i'm sorry

HARDCORE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING RICH OR POOR

you can be rich and still feel that your are not in sync with society
How can I keep Stability
On such shaky ground?
Prayers that a smile will flag me down.
Quote by filthylittleboy
he's right about the 14 year olds, but there's another element...these kids are all upset that they have such bad lives and that they need some kind of vessel even though the average Canadian "hardcore kid" as i know them as, has enough money to drive BMW's and the parents to put 4 kids through university twice each...

now these kids think they have everything so fecking hard so they try and look different from the crowd of people, and find some kind of happiness

hardcore punk began with kids from middle-class, suburban families. Not poor by any means. Sure you had bands like Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags, etc. who really were living on the streets, but the vast majority of 80's hardcore bands were from the suburbs.
Quote by recklessnick
hardcore didn't die.
music genres cant die.
revivals are bull****, the music has always been there someway, somehow.
how hardcore from the 80s turned into hardcore today like comeback kid, have heart, bane, etc. is the influence of bands like youth of today, gorilla biscuits, etc.

Yep.

Basically, hardcore still exists, but on UG, it's discussed in the punk forum, not the ¨hardcore¨ one.
Quote by devourthekitten
Yep.

Basically, hardcore still exists, but on UG, it's discussed in the punk forum, not the ¨hardcore¨ one.

These threads (like the breakdown one) make me want to punch babies.
Quote by recklessnick
the funniest thing is people who think bands like norma jean is hardcore

are.
Crossover thrash and moshcore/toughguy hardcore lead to metalcore.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Dumb-ass ignorant retards. Not worth an actual response, someone else will be less lazy than I am.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
"And the Lord sayeth

'HARD TIMES COMING YOUR WAY'"
-Book of J. Joseph 19:86
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by filthylittleboy

god I wish that were true
Quote by STABxYOU
Crossover thrash and moshcore/toughguy hardcore lead to metalcore.

I don't necessarily agree with this comment. Metalcore was created when hardcore bands started dabbling in heavier sounds in the late 80's in an attempt to define their own sound. Bands like Integrity, Unbroken, Undertow, Strife, etc. were all definitive metalcore bands. Eventually (I blame Victory Records), the music started to become more polished and watered down. For instance, Earth Crisis was at one point a metalcore band; then they became popular and overproduced (just listen to Slither... or don't). The ever-enticing prospect of earning money and not living out of a van pushed bands to sign lucrative contracts with major labels and the music became more marketable. Hence how we ended up with bands like Emmure who follow formula's when it comes to writing albums. Metalcore is still around, I'd just hesitate to call a band like "The Devil Wears Prada" a metalcore band.
Sorry to bump this thread after so long, but I just remembered how I had made it, and I wanted to see if it had answered any questions.

Quote by JxD
I don't necessarily agree with this comment. Metalcore was created when hardcore bands started dabbling in heavier sounds in the late 80's in an attempt to define their own sound. Bands like Integrity, Unbroken, Undertow, Strife, etc. were all definitive metalcore bands. Eventually (I blame Victory Records), the music started to become more polished and watered down. For instance, Earth Crisis was at one point a metalcore band; then they became popular and overproduced (just listen to Slither... or don't). The ever-enticing prospect of earning money and not living out of a van pushed bands to sign lucrative contracts with major labels and the music became more marketable. Hence how we ended up with bands like Emmure who follow formula's when it comes to writing albums. Metalcore is still around, I'd just hesitate to call a band like "The Devil Wears Prada" a metalcore band.

This is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Would anyone care to elaborate though? I'm sure it's more complicated than that.
CAN YOU FEEL THE GROOVE?
What I really wonder is where the style of hardcore like Have Heart and all that generic stuff came from.

I mean, it doesn't really sound like it branched off of metalcore, I can guess that it came from bands like Inside Out.
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
Quote by zayG
What I really wonder is where the style of hardcore like Have Heart and all that generic stuff came from.

I mean, it doesn't really sound like it branched off of metalcore, I can guess that it came from bands like Inside Out.

it came from bands like trial and outspoken, its just not as heavy
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
people who listen to hardcore have to stop seperating themselves. so what if kids are rich, so what if kids wear tight pants to shows, just because they like a band doesnt mean they are not allowed to go see them. alot of people in hardcore scenes are just damn cynical and they just want to be the only ones in the scene.
We all suffer from anxieties, and have trials to overcome no matter our place in the social hierarchy.

P.S. - about the canada kid comment..I wish it were true as well ): First year uni tuition = $2837.12, every cent was mine I earned from working the past year. And even if my parents did pay for me, it doesn't necessarily make me a bad person. What would make me a bad person is if I wasn't appreciative of it, or flaunted my parents money.
Quote by Aveks
Nobody read my posts.

D:

I read it.

Yeah and what the hell is up with people thinking hardcore started in Jersey?
Quote by filthylittleboy

a large percentage of the orginal early 80s hardcore scene were pretty well off.
two and a half men.
Page 1 of 2