Hey guys,
So I'm in the process of saving my money to transition from my starter guitar/amp setup to an actual respectable setup. I'm going for the amp first, because the guitar bit should really be a lot easier. I've been looking at a lot of Fender tube amps. I play blues and my band does a lot of hard rock kind of stuff, I've been looking at a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and Blues Jr. stuff.

Now, my guitar teacher/friend/connection hates the idea of me buying a new amp from our areas GC (I'm planning on waiting until I have the cash saved, then waiting for a big sale to buy an amp, and if I have enough money by then, a guitar in a bundle deal) he is deadset on me buying a used amp. He's told me so many times that you can get em for way cheaper and all this. Of course, I know that kind of thing when I'm going into my decision, but one thing he's been talking about, I haven't taken into consideration.

Vintage Amps (theres what you were looking for from the title). He says vintage amps can be resold for hundreds more than you bought them for, and the hand wiring and craftsmanship makes them sound just way better. I know that a lot of people love their vintage equipment, but it honestly seems weird to me to buy old, used amps. On top of that, my budget isn't stretching into the thousands, in fact the models I've looked most fondly on are the $500-700 ones.

Ok, heres the interactive part where you can help me with my problem. Do vintage amps really sound that much better? Can I rely on an old amp to sound good and be in good quality? If they do sound better, and are in good quality, does the tonal difference justify the price? And how much am I going to be paying for these things anyway!? I have searched a bit and I'm surprised theres not more information on vintage amps in here. Honestly, its not going to be my first choice, but if I can pick one up that has a good tone and isn't falling apart for a good price, why not?
dude i have a vintage 200 watt deluxe reverb fender amp from like the 60's or 70's nd it still works nd it still has all the original s tuff except the tubes nd it works fine. they do sound a whole lot better too but mine is worth 2000 bux nd alot of vintage amps do tend to stretch into the thousands but look them up on catalogs nd stuff.
Do vintage amps really sound that much better?
It depends. I modded my Twin Reissue and it sounds just as good as a blackface without the cost of a vintage amp. Some swear up and down that they can hear a difference, but it may just be in their heads.

Can I rely on an old amp to sound good and be in good quality?
You'll want to have a tech check it out since the parts are so old and could be worn out. The cost of this varies. It should, however, last YEARS if its parts are in working order.

If they do sound better, and are in good quality, does the tonal difference justify the price?
Not really (to me). I can't justify dropping $2k on a Blackface Twin when I am on the road all year and abusing my gear.

And how much am I going to be paying for these things anyway!?
Depends. Vintage Marshalls, Vox's, and Fenders can go for several thousand dollars. Supro's and Silvertones and their ilk go for less.
A vintage amp isn't gonna do hard rock. Honestly, unless you need crystal clear cleans at gigs I would say get the BJ (haha) and use an od up front to get hard rock tones.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
A vintage amp isn't gonna do hard rock. Honestly, unless you need crystal clear cleans at gigs I would say get the BJ (haha) and use an od up front to get hard rock tones.

a vintage amp CAN do hard rock. i do metal on that thing dude nd it sounds awesome dude. just add a good pedal to your setup
Quote by Kevin Saale

Marshall Superlead?
Quote by Mgllpz09
a vintage amp CAN do hard rock. i do metal on that thing dude nd it sounds awesome dude. just add a good pedal to your setup

True, but what's the point of paying out the ass for a vintage amp when you could get a new amp that would do the same tones better.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
True, but what's the point of paying out the ass for a vintage amp when you could get a new amp that would do the same tones better.

nah dude. ive tried the same setup on a new amp nd my vintage nd u can hear the differences.
SOME vintage amps will sound amazing, SOME may sound downright bad.
the truth is, its not like everything before the 70s was made by Jesus Buddha and Gahndi. regular guys made the amps, just like today, they are hit or miss.
also, there are a huge number of "all original" vintage instruments and amps. these are the ones that are worth alot of money. guess what, back in the day, people would mod the crap out of there guitars and amps. in fact, i would say that alot of the "all original" are anything but that.
moral of the story is:
play lots and lots of amps. find one you fall in love with, old or new. if you love it, but it, if not, keep searching.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Kevin Saale

Of course it will. What about all those old Marshalls, Voxes, Oranges and Laneys (to name but a few), that hard rock songs were recorded with?
Both my 1973 Fender Twin Reverb and my 1975 Fender Super Twin cost me less than $500, each. Vintage amps are a good bet, usually. They're like NOS tubes; they were built so much beter in the first place, they're still better, 40 years later.
I bought a Teisco Checkmate 15 for 200euro, i think its from the late 60ies.

anyway its great, great clean sound. even at full volume there is no break up, but im gonna get a fulltone ocd or something.

i love vintage gear. id much rather have a vintage amp (even a cheapo one) than a new one, purely for the mojo factor.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by chea_man
the truth is, its not like everything before the 70s was made by Jesus Buddha and Gahndi. regular guys made the amps, just like today, they are hit or miss.
also, there are a huge number of "all original" vintage instruments and amps. these are the ones that are worth alot of money. guess what, back in the day, people would mod the crap out of there guitars and amps. in fact, i would say that alot of the "all original" are anything but that.
moral of the story is:
play lots and lots of amps. find one you fall in love with, old or new. if you love it, but it, if not, keep searching.

never was a truer word spoken
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Quote by chea_man
moral of the story is:

+10000

This is the right thing to do

What I reccomend is that you look into a Peavey Classic 30 or a Traynor YCV50, or a fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Mgllpz09
dude i have a vintage 200 watt deluxe reverb fender amp from like the 60's or 70's nd it still works nd it still has all the original s tuff except the tubes nd it works fine. they do sound a whole lot better too but mine is worth 2000 bux nd alot of vintage amps do tend to stretch into the thousands but look them up on catalogs nd stuff.

No you don't you lying ninny.
Quote by Sharck
Do vintage amps really sound that much better? Can I rely on an old amp to sound good and be in good quality? If they do sound better, and are in good quality, does the tonal difference justify the price? And how much am I going to be paying for these things anyway!? I have searched a bit and I'm surprised theres not more information on vintage amps in here.

You need to do a lot of research if you have an interest in vintage gear. You're not going to get the info you need in a thread on UG.

I have a bunch of vintage amps lying around. I love them. They're really fun to play with. The range in quality on them is probably all over the place. Silvertones were cheap amps when they originally sold. Yeah, they're hand-wired and sound really cool, but if you open them up, they look like a rats nest. On the other hand, you could use a Traynor YBA-1 head to break thru the back door of a club, sit it on top of your favorite cab and gig with it until well after the end of the world is due.

Vintage gear generally comes in need of upgrade. Caps and filters, tubes, a three prong (grounded) cord - not to mention tubes and/or speakers. You want to know what you're getting into before you buy.

Your guitar teacher friend sounds like a bit of a snob - which is cool (I am, too ). But if you get in over your head with old gear, you're not going to be happy. You need to know how to work on it yourself, or know a really good tech.

I'd suggest you look at used gear for value, and only buy vintage gear that you have thoroughly investigated.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Last edited by slatsmania at Jun 10, 2008,