I've been learning for about a month now on my friend's shortscale bass and I'm looking to buy my own bass (not a short-scale.) I have a pretty limited budget here, as shoddy as $250, to be accurate. I've been looking into getting a Les Paul bass. Opinions?
I'm a bit biased against Gibson basses but as far as I've heard, LP basses aren't that great. I've heard they have balance issues so they go neck first towards the ground, aside from that, they don't have a very versatile tone. I've only played one, but from what I've heard they're not that great. I suggest you look at low-end Peavey and Fender/Squire basses, the Squire Vintage Modified J/P-basses are very good for the price.
Quote by SG thrasher
Bums to the ground when rilakam's around.
A lot of companies make Les Paul basses. ESP is a good company and they make Les Pauls. I would go to a different forum and ask about Epiphone/Gibson basses.
as far as epiphones go, not too bad. but the VM tele bass is better in my opinion.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
ANYTHING, aside from the Ripper/Grabber, made my Epiphone or Gibson, is utter fail. Bad balance issues, bad fret access issues, bad neck shape, bad tone. NO tone, I should say.

They're basically direct ports from the guitar version, which almost always equals utter fail for a bass.

Definitely look into 3rd party manufacturers, who at least make the concept sort-of functional for a bassist.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Get your parents to give you 30 extra dollars and buy this.

There is also a precision version if you're more for punk. They're highly recomended basses, but try before you buy if you can. Les Pauls are guitars, not basses.
Also, as ever, does he need an amp? Remember that a guitar amp will get damaged by bass frequencies.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
They look really UGly, but Duff McKagan plays one I think so they cannot be that bad
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
If you're going to get one try to get a les paul standard used. They don't make them anymore, now they make the "special".
Quote by KillEmAll
They look really UGly, but Duff McKagan plays one I think so they cannot be that bad

He plays Fenders.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by White-Chocolate
A lot of companies make Les Paul basses. ESP is a good company and they make Les Pauls. I would go to a different forum and ask about Epiphone/Gibson basses.

Thing is, another forum will als be horribly biased towards or against them. Going to different places until you finally hear what you want to hear, and use that as justification, is a stupid thing to do.

And a singlecut does not a Les Paul bass make.
Quote by gm jack
He plays Fenders.

Actually, on Fall To Pieces live he plays a Gibson Les Paul bass. I have seen them 5 times so I don't think Im that blind
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
Quote by KillEmAll
Actually, on Fall To Pieces live he plays a Gibson Les Paul bass. I have seen them 5 times so I don't think Im that blind

I'm most familiar with his Guns 'N' Roses work, so I won't doubt you. The point I was making is that he mostly uses Fenders. If what you say is right, he uses it for one song. A clear example of their vast superiority to Fenders .

At any rate, the TS was asking about the Epiphone version (judging by the budget). I don't think the Gibson will be as bad as the Fender.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I'm asuming you need an amp as well TS. So I would recomend getting either one of the Squier or Ibanez starter kits.
Quote by gm jack
Also, as ever, does he need an amp? Remember that a guitar amp will get damaged by bass frequencies.

guitar amps gets damaged by bass frequencies?? crap, i ran my bass thru my marshall MG15 for a year.
It wasn't just the fact it was an MG which ment it sounded like ass...

The speakers are not made to handle bass frequencies. The speakers being blown is simply a matter of when, rather than if.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
it gives some really nice high mids and trebles, im now using it with my ashdown, would it help if i roll the bass all the way down on the mg?
Quote by jb_reborn
it gives some really nice high mids and trebles, im now using it with my ashdown, would it help if i roll the bass all the way down on the mg?

Nope. Those lower frequencies are still there, munching through your speaker cone material. Plus the tone would suck hard.