Okay I went and seen the raconteurs a while ago and i was wonder what the hell jack does with his solos. I mean They are phenominal! I watched and watched and it didnt look like he was doing scales and and from everything iv read and seen about jack, he dosent do a song the same way twice and i know everything he does is improv but I was wondering if anyone can tell me what he does do? I mean Iv followed this guy's carreer since i first heard "your preety good lookin" off the the di stijl white stripes album and he still baffles me. So what is his technique??? It dosent look like scales. I mean is it just him feeling the **** out of what he is playing? what does he do?? My guitar guru always talks about feeling being 90% of it and he has been playing 46 years. Im ganna add on some videos so people might be able to look and tell me, its all videos of the rac song blue veins because that seems to be when he shines with the solos.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3ATQFFwU0_k (a holland vid of them doing the song. from the first tour)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yyOX1Z_rdq4 (clip with what seems to be new guitar, its like a double cutaway anniversery jr from gretsch but with black head stock and pick guard and black chrome hardware and ocourse the additional third pick up. this is from the current tour. Anyone who jus wants to see the solos and not the whole song this is the vid to watch.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3GJ-fM8MGt4 (another first tour clip, from austin city limits. I have first tour clips cause i generally liked it more. Jacks voice didnt seem so ****ed up, prolly cause he wasnt smokin again then)

If ur willin to help then thanx.
he's been playing long enough that everything feels natural, like he can go out of key and back into key and stuff and it sounds great
plus with that whammy pedal its so high, i think it makes the pitch matter a bit less
but yeah, feeling man
He is still playing from a scale it doesn't matter what the hell you are playing its going to have a certain tonality reflected by a certain scale. Its not ****ing magic and hes not using some sort of emotion power to make music. Heres a tip: any amateur guitarist that denounces scales and theory because they don't convey "emotion" is a dumbass that doesn't know how to apply the information.
Quote by Captain Garry
He is still playing from a scale it doesn't matter what the hell you are playing its going to have a certain tonality reflected by a certain scale. Its not ****ing magic and hes not using some sort of emotion power to make music. Heres a tip: any amateur guitarist that denounces scales and theory because they don't convey "emotion" is a dumbass that doesn't know how to apply the information.
But hendrix dun no thoery

And music has no inherit emotion, its just a big mix of frequencies, it's the human ear that percieves the emotion in music .
Well you can all go on about how much you need to know scales, but in the end, anything that sounds good will do. Sure, knowing scales and such will help you know what is more likely to sound good, but Jack probably has these things memorized, so he can just go over them and have fun.
Quote by Sean Duffy
Well you can all go on about how much you need to know scales, but in the end, anything that sounds good will do. Sure, knowing scales and such will help you know what is more likely to sound good, but Jack probably has these things memorized, so he can just go over them and have fun.
Write with your mind (theory), your ear (what sounds good) and your heart (your feelings). Someone else said that on these forums and its genious.
Quote by Sean Duffy

yes mate. why bother trying to understand music when you can half ass it
You got to see the Raconteurs.....

There so awesome!

Of course hes using scales! but he doesnt normally run up and down the whole thing. He likes to use lots of held notes, repeated phrasing and loads of crazy feedback! Man i love that guy.......
I hate how people say hendrix didn't know anything about scales or theory. he was never taught any of them.... but he found them out on his own. he knew what sounded good and had patterns that he used..... patterns he created (but not really). but they were what he used.... like your favorite artist may love to run down a scale in thirds. he found **** he liked and moved them to where he wanted. this is the same idea behind scales... and who ever standardized the current scales you are learning today.
Quote by demonofthenight
Write with your mind (theory), your ear (what sounds good) and your heart (your feelings). Someone else said that on these forums and its genious.

goddamn thats great, i almost wanna sig that
Ouchies posted the most helpful thing in this thread. Very simple, soulful pentatonics, lots of bends, and disgusting, feedback loaded whammy abuse. I love disgusting, feedback loaded whammy abuse.
Eh...it really just sounds like pentatonic wanking to me. He sounds like someone who's just recently memorized a box shapes and is playing the notes in a random order.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Eh...it really just sounds like pentatonic wanking to me. He sounds like someone who's just recently memorized a box shapes and is playing the notes in a random order.
I wish my random sounded that good!
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
what doesn't?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
there's nothing special in his soloing (imo).
If you want to sound like that, learn to play some of his solos, and learn theory.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
The only thing I don't like about Jack's playing is the whammy rape(and all the fanboys). Other than that, he's pretty good. But what he's doing is basic blues soloing.

EDIT: What the hell is he singin into to make that righteous distorted wail?
Last edited by imgooley at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Do you mean that he leaves the standard pentatonic box or that he actually plays out of key?
Both are one and the same, just at different levels. I'll explain.

When picking what notes to play next, this is what I think about:
Chord tones: Very consonant, point straight towards the tonality. Great for resolving tension.

Pentatonics: also very consonant, but not as consonant as chord tones. Basically the safe notes to play in a solo.

Scale/modal tones: these arent as safe as pentatonics, but still safer than completely non-diatonic notes. Great for establishing a special feeling over some chords.

Non-diatonic notes: Notes which arent used in your regular diatonic music. Some jazzers are good at this. Takes a little skill to figure out what you like and what you dont.

Microtonal notes: Produced by using pre-bends and whammy bar dips on the guitar. The only ones I've found that I've liked is the note inbetween the major third and minor third and the note just above a perfect fourth but below the middle point in between a perfect fourth and an augmented fourth.

Mastering that, you can achieve any sort of feeling. But remember, you still need phrasing in your solo's.
Quote by demonofthenight
But hendrix dun no thoery

And music has no inherit emotion, its just a big mix of frequencies, it's the human ear that percieves the emotion in music .

umm im pretty sure hendrix knew a lot of theory, it is no coincidence that his solos revolve around the minor pentatonic scale. And his chord progressions are not exactly simple, so yeah i tihnk he knew what he was doing, unless you were being sarcastic, then disregard