Hey,

Sorry for the title in caps.... just needed to get a hold of some people. So I have been messing around with recording lately, and it's just bugging the hell out of me. I can't seem to get any sort of decent sound. Quality is just terrible. So I want to know, what do you guys use?

Here is an idea of what I need to do:

1) I need to record drums, via computer. I don't mean actual set, I don't have my set anymore, I mean as in, what's the best software for drum tracks? I need to make them specifically for my songs, not just loops.

2) What's the best software recording studio? I am a PROUD PC user, and at the moment I am using Adobe Audition 3.0, so what is the best? Am I set there?

3)Distortion. It sounds terrible, here's what I have for equipment (don't laugh):

- Epiphone Les Paul
- GNX4 Digitech Guitar Effects Pedal
- Boss MT-2, and a Flanger also by Boss
- Dean V-Coustic
- Amps: Crate IR by SLM, and my dad's Fender Frontman 212R

4) If that gear is not good enough, then what should I get?

5) How should I record, should I run directly from my effects pedal to my sound card, or should I run from one of the amps?

6) What is the best sound card to use? I have an Audigy right now.

These are all questions that I really need answered. I am sick of my quality I have, even with recording my acoustic. You can hear the terrible quality at http://myspace.com/sheldoncantplayguitar. But really, I just need thorough answers.

So if you think you can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot

(PS: If you can't answer them all, but a specific one, it'd be great if you could number which question you are answering. Such as 1) 2) 3) type thing. Thanks a lot.)
don't bother investing money in your own setup... Spend $800 TOP making 1 - 3 songs in a professional studio for a demo.. make sure they are well written or you just lost $800. After that, submit them to a label and let them pay for the other stuff.

Labels also want you to have a good fanbase, live act, and buzz before they sign you though so gig some and make a some hardcore fans
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by MyCatImploded
3)Distortion. It sounds terrible, here's what I have for equipment (don't laugh):

- Dean V-Coustic

I'm sorry, I'm usually not this mean, but how can I not laugh at that?

Seriously tho' go to a real studio, trust me if you're serious it's worth every penny.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
where I recorded it was 50 an hour, so my band ended up spending 200 on 3 songs in the studio, but split up 6 ways, it was only 25$ a person, so it was not bad

edit: great sound, was well worth it
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Why would you need to be an experienced musician to know any of this stuff?

1) Reason is the best.

2) Cubase. I don't know much about Audition.

3)Answered in question 5

4)Answered in question 5

5) No! Get a decent audio interface. Probably a pretty cheap one since it doesn't sound like you're doing anything that would require a lot of inputs or high-end quality. You can also put a mic in front of your amp but that still has to go through the interface.

6) See above.

And as far as the equipment goes, you can rent it if you just need it once or twice. Don't spend more than you have to.
Quote by sacamano79
where I recorded it was 50 an hour, so my band ended up spending 200 on 3 songs in the studio, but split up 6 ways, it was only 25$ a person, so it was not bad

edit: great sound, was well worth it

200$ / 6 = 25$ ???

Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
Hopefully this can help you out:

1 - Get yourself a VST Drum program like EZ Drummer (tunetracks) or Battery (Native Instruments)

2 - As long as Adobe can handle VST plugins you should be set. The only thing I think it is lacking on is midi. If this is something you would like then look into Cubase or Sonar.

3, 4, 5, 6 - Get yourself a decent recording interface. I use a Line 6 Toneport and I have had some pretty good luck with it so far. It has 1/4 inch and XLR inputs as well as phantom power. It also comes with Gearbox, which is an amp modeling program similiar to their POD series. This can help with your distortion sounds, or at the very least give you a proper clean input to run your GNX4 through. Also, for simplicities sake I would stick with using a your pedal or a modeling program for you sounds rather than amps. Unless they have direct outs for recording, it can be tough to get a good miced sound.

Hope this helps you out.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Quote by X-Boy
200$ / 6 = 25$ ???

whoops meant 150$
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by X-Boy
200$ / 6 = 25$ ???

haha
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Okay, thanks to all who answered. I am not looking for a studio. Just wanting to make the best quality possible at home. Not for a band either, sadly I am not in one.

Thanks xD
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
I'm sorry, I'm usually not this mean, but how can I not laugh at that?

Seriously tho' go to a real studio, trust me if you're serious it's worth every penny.

Hahaha... I didn't mean I use the acoustic for distortion. lol