I'm thinking of gettin a macbook to record music on.

Good Idea or bad idea?

Is garage band a good program?

What do I need to be able to plug my guitar straight into the computer?

Thanks
Just plug a microphone into the thing and mic your amp.

EDIT: Ugh I HATE that M-Audio crap. It's so slow and you always have to re-master the tracks anyway. Unless you have a godly machine meant for a studio, I suggest avoiding the hassle that is M-Audio.
Just use garageband if you're getting a mac, or Audacity.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Last edited by jthm_guitarist at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by Vagabond21
It doesn't really have good reviews...

I would still need a computer program to edit the music wouldn't I?

Audacity. It's what I use.

Where the hell have you been, dude? Ain't seen you in the blues forum in ages.
Quote by Vagabond21
It doesn't really have good reviews...

I would still need a computer program to edit the music wouldn't I?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-TonePort-UX1-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249700

get a toneport. There's a cheaper one, but it doesn't come with Ableton (recording software)

OR you can get the cheaper one and (aquire) a better program on t'interweb.
I wouldn't say to get a Macbook just for the sake of recording, but Garageband is certainly a great program. I use it all of the time.

One option as far as guitar are getting a 1/4" to 1/8" audio converter and plugging you're guitar directly into your comp via the mic jack. Its just a small piece you can pick up at your local GC/Music Store or probably Radioshack or somewhere similar for under $5. Personally, I don't like most of the guitar tones/effects on garage band. They also tend to cause an obnoxious delay.

I just record from my amp through the built-in mic on the macbook, but you need to put it fairly close to avoid a sound delay, and make sure you turn down the recording volume. This is a really DIY, lo-fi method that I do because I'm poor as ****. You can also plug your guitar output into the mic jack via the adapter I mentioned or actually get a decent microphone.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
it really depends if you need a new computer, cuz like bc24frets said, it'll probably be cheaper to buy a separate recording unit. In my situation, i needed a new computer for college, so it was a nice luxury to be able to record music with my macbook. all you need to plug in your guitar is this: http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/australiastore.woa/wa/RSLID?find=guitar%20cable
you don't necessarily need to buy this one, but you need something that will make the normal 1/4" guitar cable jack, fit into the macbook's 1/8"mini-jack headphone.
buying a new mac just for recording is too much. Unless your pc is from 2000 you should just be able to get a recording device like the toneport and you'll be good. If its a desktop and it sucks just get more ram.
Thanks guys...

The laptop I have at home is older and has been through hell and back. I was thinking of getting a used macbook.

I tried m-audio on this laptop once and it was ****ty.

Goolz, I've been kinda busy lately but Ill try to frequent the blues forum a little more.
I'm using my macbook right now and garageband is awesome. Easy to use and the artificial instruments are really fun to play with. You'll need a recording interface to plug in your guitar or you can try the stealthplug.

I don't have any experience with it but it looks really cool and comes with amp modeling software so you can plug your guitar in right away and skip your amp.