Okay, so I am learning music theory (I am on 3rd lesson on the crusade, go me) and I made a C major chord using the keyboard, then put it on the guitar. How I was taught the C major chord was x32010 but with what the chord is (CEG) shouldn't the low e string sound good with it? So when playing 032010 it should sound the same just more full, but it doesn't! Help?

pepsi

EDIT: Okay, I read responses up to the point of this edit, why does the name of the chord change when it has a new lowest note. It has the EXACT same notes in it, it just doesn't have it's lowest note as the root.
Last edited by pepsi_lovr at Jun 10, 2008,
There's different shapes for the same chord. Basically, the rule is, you can make a chord in many shapes as long as you use certain notes. You can have your full-sounding, six-string Cmaj like this:

E - 8
B - 8
G - 9
D - 10
A - 10
E - 8
I think playing the Cmaj as 032010 would technically be a Cmaj/E chord (Cmaj with a E for the bass note)
You can do it, it just doesn't sound as good.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"
if u include the low E note when playing the Cmaj triad, it wil become a Cmaj/E chord
No, that's a G.

It starts on the third fret, bottom string- a G note.

You play the Cmaj (open) starting on the third fret, A string, because that is a C note.

Cmaj using the bottom string would be an E major shape barred on the 8th fret.
^ this guy is wrong.

its not about what the lowest note is, it's what the notes in the chords are.

for example, Cmaj is C-E-G, Gmaj is G-B-E
Quote by pepperfunk
How about in A Day in the Life

the C chord is like this:
E--0--
B--1--
G--0--
D--2--
A--3--
E--3--

is that still a plain C?

Thats the 2nd inversion of C maj, aka C/G
Quote by pepperfunk
How about in A Day in the Life

the C chord is like this:
E--0--
B--1--
G--0--
D--2--
A--3--
E--3--

is that still a plain C?

That's Cmaj/G. Slash chords are formed when the root is not the lowest note.
To be a 'proper' C chord the lowest not should be a C.
But then again rules are meant to be broken. If it works within the song go for it.
Quote by mustardman
^ this guy is wrong.

its not about what the lowest note is, it's what the notes in the chords are.

for example, Cmaj is C-E-G, Gmaj is G-B-E

lol im afriad you're wrong too:P Gmaj is G-B-D :P sorry lol.

basically what everyone is trying to say is 032010 is still a Cmaj chord but as the lowest note is NOT C, it is technically Cmaj/E but it is still Cmaj because as you yourself said it uses all the notes of the C-E-G triad and no other.