Hey everyone, I really need your help. I really want to progress as a guitar player, but I keep hearing that if you want to be accurate and fast at the same time you have to use a metronome. Now, I only know how to use a metronome to practice scales and finger warm up exercises. The problem is that I don't know how to use a metronome to any songs. I want to play songs from Pantera, Metallica, Foo Fighters, Death, Suffocation, At the Gates, Black Dahlia Murder, etc. but I don't know how to apply the use of a metronome to any songs. I know about note durations like quarter notes, eighth notes, triplets, and sixteenth notes, but thats pretty much it and I only how to use it to finger exercises. So, everyone please post TONS of info on how to use a metronome to songs because Im having a hard time to do so.

Thank you all so much for you help, I appreciate it.
Many songs have tempo changes in them, and it's not really fun to mess around and program a metronome to it.

I'd say get guitar pro or powertab (preferably guitar pro), disable everything but the drums and play along to them. Much better and much more fun than a metronome. And if that's not enough, you can even try to disable all the instruments, and turn on the metronome. That way you'll have a simple, properly programmed metronome to play with.

But drums are just so much more fun. I promise.
you dont need to play the metronome to the song, cus the song is your metronome,
just use it to learn tricky passages, and play them to the song when you've got em down, you won't need your tick tick..
and you might play the song a couple of times just to the metronome, so you can practise it slower (just pause at tempo changes to change the settings) so no drum track at all, but the thing is you just don't need a metronome when you've got your track or, even better, a backing track

but the best thing is to get some software to slow the track down without changing the pitch (any mixing program or something like the amazing slow downer will work)
so you can still learn your song slower, at correct timing, but you can also keep an eye on the harmony.

edit: wait i think i misudnerstood you a little, nevermind, just set the metronome to the bpm of the song, or the section of the song you want to learn, and if needed enter the correct kind of meassure, and just play to that.
if you can't do this, just count to the song a couple of times like you're a metronome yourself, and be sure to accent the first beat of every meassure and double the accent on the first beat of the first meassure of a new section (don't play theze accents, they're just to help you know where you are in the song when you've only got a click to play to)
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Last edited by Funkicker at Jun 10, 2008,
bump please, also when I'm learning songs how would I count to it 1, 2, 3, 4 or something else?
Also, if possible, can anyone post of a video on youtube of a lesson on how to use a metronome to a song if possible whether it can be from Pantera to Misfits, or anything that would be very helpful.

Thank you
I just use a metronome to practice chromatics, with the same note duration - 16ths, 8ths, etc.
For example, for 16ths, play 4 notes between 2 clicks.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by swordsman14
bump please, also when I'm learning songs how would I count to it 1, 2, 3, 4 or something else?

We don't know. Songs can have different time signatures.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Yeah. Try counting Dream Theater's The Dance of Eternity in 1, 2, 3, 4. (It won't work)
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
You can't really. The reason you can't count the entire The Dance of Eternity in 1, 2, 3, 4, or in any other time signature is because the time signature changes (128 times in fact). While not all songs have so many time signature changes, many songs speed up or slow down. Since you like pantera, one example would be Cemetery Gates. During the solo the song speeds up. In master of puppets when the riffs stop and that neoclassical soft solo comes in the time changes. So you're not really gonna be able to count the entire thing or use a metronome.

What I'd do is just play along with the song. If it's too fast you could slow it down with random programs. Either that or play along with guitar pro, in which you can easily change the speed.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
what you do is learn a song section by section. if you have the tab perfect. if you have a guitar pro tab or power tab even better. if u don't, just listen and try and see the approximate tempo of the section. if its something with 8, 16, 4 notes or something in there, or something that you can easily count 1,2,3,4 to then good. if its more complex you can probably subdivide it someway thats not too difficult. for example, slayer's "metal storm/face the slayer" has a beginning part where its supposed to be 9/8 time signature... kinda hard to do 1,2,3,4 to that. but you can instead do triplet counting (1,2,3, 1,2,3, etc.) or you can reduce it even further to eigth-notes (1,2, 1,2, 1,2). Do it very slow the first time you learn it. The point of the metronome isn't to make sure you sound like the song, but its to keep you on beat, on rhythm and keep you from being inconsistent with your picking speed and fretting speed. this is why everyone encourages to learn things SLOW!!! learn things very slow. if you can't play it slow, you WILL NOT BE ABLE to play it fast. sometimes you can learn something slow, pick it up and be able to play it fast real quick, but still go back and try it slow, because if you can't play it perfectly slow, you're playing it inconsistently and not to the beat, and you might be making subtle mistakes. Once you get one section well practiced, keep doing it for a few days each section, make that be a part of your exercises after or during your exercises. keep it at a slow tempo for a while. When you feel very confident that you are never making mistakes at that tempo increase it a bit till you come to the point where you're playing it faster WITHOUT MAKING MISTAKES AND WITH STAYING ON TIME. this is the key to playing fast riffs, complex solos, etc. take it one piece at a time, and rehearse each piece so you know it by heart. think of learning a song like learning a monologue or a dialogue, when you practice and repeat it, you do it a certain way and you continue to do it a certain way so that you get the best sound out of it. The best sound in guitar however is a clean, slow sound. When you've got that well, increase the tempo. Learn it part by part and if you feel you're losing confidence in a part of a song, slow it down again and listen to the tempo and ur playing.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Hey, so if I were to learn Santeria, Cowboys from Hell, or Elder Misanthropy, would you assume its in 4/4 timing if you listen to it? And if you listened to it already, would you count it like 1,2,3, 4 or another way of counting? But first listen to the songs so you can tell me.
Quote by Psychedelico
You can't really. The reason you can't count the entire The Dance of Eternity in 1, 2, 3, 4, or in any other time signature is because the time signature changes (128 times in fact). While not all songs have so many time signature changes, many songs speed up or slow down. Since you like pantera, one example would be Cemetery Gates. During the solo the song speeds up. In master of puppets when the riffs stop and that neoclassical soft solo comes in the time changes. So you're not really gonna be able to count the entire thing or use a metronome.

What I'd do is just play along with the song. If it's too fast you could slow it down with random programs. Either that or play along with guitar pro, in which you can easily change the speed.

123-124.
Yeah i wasn't sure exactly
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Hey, since Im learning a lot of songs from tabs some of them dont show the bpm or time signature. So, how do I figure it out and how would I count, lets say Raining Blood for example or Knocking on Heavens Door from Guns N Roses? It dosent matter which song I just want to figure it out please.
Raining blood would be hard as it has a LOT of tempo shifts. If you have a tap tempo, that's the best way of finding the tempo of a song. Otherwise, just increase the tempo until you match the speed of the part.

For time signature, the easiest way is to listen to the drums. Typically they follow a pattern That should be pretty easy to break up into chunks to see how many beats there are.
Ok so now Im learning Skulls from the Misfits. The tempo is at 220 bpm or something like that. Im at 92 bpm. Im playing on every beat on the metronome and Im increasing it. Am I playing this right?
Ok so now Im learning Skulls from the Misfits. The tempo is at 220 bpm or something like that. Im at 92 bpm. Im playing on every beat on the metronome and Im increasing it. Am I playing this right?
Quote by swordsman14
Hey, since Im learning a lot of songs from tabs some of them dont show the bpm or time signature. So, how do I figure it out and how would I count, lets say Raining Blood for example or Knocking on Heavens Door from Guns N Roses? It dosent matter which song I just want to figure it out please.

Typically, you want to listen to the drums. In your standard 4/4 rock, the snare drum comes on the 2 and the 4 (the "upbeats"). The bass drum will almost always come on the 1, and often on the 3 as well (the "downbeats"). But the snare is usually more reliable of a method for counting.