you can use any scale which has a natural 2 and does not conflict with the quality of the chord. EDIT: it is advisable to also pick a scale which has a b7 (the way the 9 chord is spelled is 1-3-5-b7-9)

i.e. C9 --> you can use mixolydian, lydian dominant, major pentatonic. i'm sure there are others but i'm really tired.
Quote by newguitars08
What Scales do you use with "9" Chords?

If you mean a non-altered dominant 9th chord like for example an E9, Mixolydian works fine ( E Mixolydian in this case, or if you want to think of the "parent scale" A major)

- there are other scales as well, but I would suggest starting there.
shred is gaudy music
Becuase E9 chords is an extension of the domiant7 chord due to the m7 or flat7.
So just thinking of it as the V chord of the Amaj will work.

example........ Emaj9 has a M7 or natral 7th. (1,3,5,7,9)
it will work as the I or V

Eadd9 ommits or exclude the 7th. (1,3,5,9)
this will work as I,IV,V
Last edited by Ordinary at Jun 10, 2008,
Just to give you some more options, you could play the minor pentatonic scale from the same root note, but raise the 3rds to hit the blue note. So Em Pentatonic.

-12-16
-12-14
-13-14
-(13)12-14
-12-14
-12-16

Where I've bracketed 13, that is a sixth (or bb7). This can sometimes create an interesting sound.
Last edited by mdc at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by newguitars08
What Scales do you use with "9" Chords?
I know my band co-ordinator would say minor pentatonics. To me, it sounds weird. But hey its a suggestion.

And everything sisuphi said (+1). Basically any dominant scale/mode, except the phrygian dominant.
it dose sometimes...but you can just throw a riff of it in here and there.

i'll probably never hear the end of it..but here goes

E maj penta = E, F#,G#,B,C#
C# min penta = C#,E,F#,G#,B
F# neatral penta= F#,G#,B,C#,E
Why jump to modes? Most likely, the chord is appearing in a progression. We need to see the progression to know what to play.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
i didn't really explain myself that well i was tired.

you could approach it by finding the "parent scale". in some cases however you may want approach it a little differently. the chord you are playing, as i said before, is spelled 1-3-5-b7-9. i did say that you could use E maj pentatonic over an E9 but what the scale would be lacking would be that b7 that makes the chord a "9" in the first place (otherwise its simply an add9). so i would say if you were to play the e major pentatonic, throw in a little bit of b7 every now and then (it would basically be one note short of mixolydian). again though, choose your scales based on the notes present in the chords/backing and the tones you want to emphasize.
Quote by newguitars08
Thank you!!

or if you want to think of the "parent scale" A major?

What does that mean?

NP glad to help.

By looking at the "parent scale" I mean seeing the chord as the "V" chord. Dominant chords, such as a 9th chord function as the dominant or "V" chord in a key. E9 is the "V" chord in A. (A B C# D E F# G#) notice that E is the 5th note of the scale.

So whenever you play over a dominant chord, you can think of it as a V chord, and use the parent scale to solo.

There are lots of other options, but that is probably the best place to start. Too many options for someone that needs to learn the basics usually leads to confusion.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by mdc
but raise the 3rds to hit the blue note.

-12-16
-12-14
-13-14
-(13)12-14
-12-13-14
-12-16

I believe I made an error with regard to the 'blue note'. This is actually known as the b5, so where I've marked in red, that's yer 'bl'.

So if your shrrreding away in Em Pentatonic, you can create albeit a brief chromatic sounding run on the A string.

EDIT: Munky, I just read your post and agree that too many options leads to confusion.

TS maybe you should ignore what I've suggested, however I just thought that the minor pentatonic scale would be a simpler shape for you, rather than learning the 7 note, 3 note per string pattern that is, in this case, A Ionian (major).
Last edited by mdc at Jun 12, 2008,
i approach the dom 7th chords and extensions by the function they use in the progression..in a blues setting,,where you have time to explore and experiment with the upper notes of the dom 7th scale .. try these examples: for G7...use a Bb pent to approach it...1 2 3 5 6( Bb C D F G) .. the last three notes of this scale are the 5 7 1 tones of the G7 chord...you can then run a G7 arpeggio and extend it to include the 9th tone and higher and begin to experiment with altered tones while your in the upper register....you can also use Eb pent (same scale form) for a more "outside" feel ..

wolf