Ok, before you tell me to go to Freepower's thread or use the search bar, let me tell you that these are very specific questions about technique, or at least specific about my method of improving my technique. That and I'm too lazy to use the search bar and wade through 100+ threads, most of which would be entirely unrelated to my questions anyway.

So, my questions. First one: what exercises does anyone have for stretching my fingers? Particuarly my middle and ring fingers. For example, there's this run in Arpeggios From Hell by Yngwie Malmsteen, which goes like this:

E|-15-14-12-11-|
B|-------------|
G|-------------|
D|-------------|
A|-------------|
E|-------------|

Now, the fingering I use for that is pinky on the G, ring finger on the F#, middle finger on the E and index finger on the D#. However, I have problems getting my middle two fingers to stretch that distance comfortably and smoothly, so I'm looking for exercises/ways to increase their reach.

Two: To increase my finger stretch, do I simply stretch my fingers out over the frets and hold them there, or do I play through the pattern that I'm using to stretch my fingers, or what? And if I do hold the stretch, how long do I hold it for?

Thanks for the answers, I've decided I need to improve my technique, but I'm finding it harder than I thought...
sig goes here
I know exactly what you mean because i'm the same at the minute, although I don't think it's really a problem with stretching as more just because your 2 fingers don't know how (and have never really had to) be in that position before, like everything with technique the more you use this and take a bit of time to play that lick it will get better.

What I do is loads of different chromatic practice and also incorporate a 1 fret gap between each of the 2 fingers (between pinky and ring, then ring anf middle, then middle and index), you'll probably find that a fret gap between index and middle is the easiest one, this is only because those fingers tend to be used more, so get using those other fingers more
I think yngwie slides from 12 fret to the 11th. When hes playing stuff like that.
Quote by Skater901
That and I'm too lazy to use the search bar and wade through 100+ threads, most of which would be entirely unrelated to my questions anyway.

Well, if you're too lazy to do that, welcome to Mediocre Technique Land. You'll be there a while.

Bear in mind, you're also in the wrong forum.
Quote by Freepower
Well, if you're too lazy to do that, welcome to Mediocre Technique Land. You'll be there a while.

Bear in mind, you're also in the wrong forum.

Have you ever tried searching for something and then wading through heaps of threads until you find it? Seriously? Not easy. And the time I spend doing that I COULD be spending practicing my technique instead.

Oh? Which forum is the right forum for this sort of question?
sig goes here
Have you ever tried searching for something and then wading through heaps of threads until you find it? Seriously? Not easy.

Sure I have, and it's not hard if you use decent search terms.

Oh? Which forum is the right forum for this sort of question?

G&B basics, or Advanced Tech.

Finally, I would recommend checking out my latest blog post and the 5th lesson in my sig, they cover posture and finger independence, which the former of which will give you the reach you need and the second of which will give you the strength and separation between 2 and 3 to use it.

Sorry for directing you to "Freepower's thread" but sometimes i make threads so i don't have to answer every single question separately.

Finally, i see you liek bleach. Thats coo.
Quote by Freepower
Sure I have, and it's not hard if you use decent search terms.

You'll have to teach me how then someday.

Quote by Freepower
G&B basics, or Advanced Tech.

G&B basics? Wouldn't you say this is more of an advanced question? Advanced Techniques sounds great though.

Quote by Freepower
Finally, I would recommend checking out my latest blog post and the 5th lesson in my sig, they cover posture and finger independence, which the former of which will give you the reach you need and the second of which will give you the strength and separation between 2 and 3 to use it.

Well alright, seeing as you recommended it I'll go read it. At least you took the time to read my thread so you know what my problem is.

Quote by Freepower
Sorry for directing you to "Freepower's thread" but sometimes i make threads so i don't have to answer every single question separately.

That's what happens when you get too awesome. Everyone wants to know how to be like you.

Quote by Freepower
Finally, i see you liek bleach. Thats coo.

Heck yeah man, Bleach is awesome. In fact, on that topic, I haven't watched an episode in a week or two. I should go download one right now.
sig goes here
Well alright, seeing as you recommended it I'll go read it. At least you took the time to read my thread so you know what my problem is.

Hell, i had the same problem until i started those exercises i posted in my blog.

That's what happens when you get too awesome. Everyone wants to know how to be like you.

Pah, too awesome my ass. My legato is passable, my composition decent for an amateur. That's all. Everything else is just distilled wisdom from better players and some logical analysis. I could name people on UG who've been playing half the time and are twice as good.

Heck yeah man, Bleach is awesome. In fact, on that topic, I haven't watched an episode in a week or two. I should go download one right now.

I'm only reading the manga atm (which is killer) but i recently saw the highlights of ichigo/grimjoww 3 and omg the madskillz.
Quote by Freepower
I'm only reading the manga atm (which is killer) but i recently saw the highlights of ichigo/grimjoww 3 and omg the madskillz.

Haha, is that the one where Grimmjow gets Inoue to heal Ichigo so they can fight at full strength? If so, that one's freaking pwnage. He keeps his hollow mask! Before he could only hold it for 11 seconds, but for some reason now he can hold it forever nearly. 'Tis a great battle.

We are getting so off-topic.
sig goes here
Thanks man, I'll have a look at that.

Also, does anyone have any tips for helping me practice with economy of motion and minimal movement and that stuff? Cause I find that as soon as I slow right down and try to practice that stuff and concentrate on those aspects of technique on my fretting hand, I end up tensing up while trying to make my movements as minimal as possible. It seems that either my hand is relaxed and my fingers flop all over the place, or my hand is tense and my fingers don't move much at all. How do I achieve minimal finger movement with a relaxed hand?
sig goes here
^ move even slower. No, even slower.

If you read the first lesson in my sig, you'll see that some small finger movements (moving only finger 3 up and down a centimeter perfectly relaxed and without affecting other fingers) take me around a whole minute to do.

THAT slow. From there you can get the feel of it and improve your awareness of tension and movement.
Quote by Freepower
^ move even slower. No, even slower.

If you read the first lesson in my sig, you'll see that some small finger movements (moving only finger 3 up and down a centimeter perfectly relaxed and without affecting other fingers) take me around a whole minute to do.

THAT slow. From there you can get the feel of it and improve your awareness of tension and movement.

That slow?? That's very slow! However, if you say so, I will do it. But if it's that slow, how will I ever build any muscle memory from doing it unless I devote every second of my time for two years to doing it?

And no I don't think that's mentioned in your first lesson. I could be wrong though.

EDIT: Ok, I was just messing around on my guitar then, and if I keep all my fingers on the strings, it's pretty easy for me to lift individual fingers without the rest of my hand moving with it. However, if I just hold my fingers in the air, I find it a lot harder. Should I practice doing it with them in the air? And is it possible that because I'm finding it easy with my fingers on the strings that my hand isn't relaxed enough?
sig goes here
Last edited by Skater901 at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by Skater901

Two: To increase my finger stretch, do I simply stretch my fingers out over the frets and hold them there, or do I play through the pattern that I'm using to stretch my fingers, or what? And if I do hold the stretch, how long do I hold it for?

First off, if you want to work on something, then make up an exercise that does a lot
of it! It's pretty simple. Take what you posted and do it on every string and play it
at every fret position.

As far as stretching goes, my advice is don't if you can. If that lick is pulloffs, you
pretty much can't get around it, but if it's picked you can.

I practice some things that have MUCH larger stretches than that. The first
tendency I had WAS to stretch my fingers. What I noticed was that trying to
cover the distance mostly by a stretch induces a lot hand tension and makes it
very difficult to play accurately especially at speed. What I found works much
better is to stretch only to the point you can still be relaxed. Cover most of the
distance by quick tilts of the wrist. This can cover distances very quickly and you
barely have to move your fingers to do it.
Fairo. Well I just want to work on increasing my finger stretch to give me more range on the guitar. I think the time I really noticed this was when watching the Roadrunner United DVD *grabs flameshield* and was watching the part where Jeff Waters was trying to play the solo, and his fingers just seemed to stretch right out then come back in close again, and it made me want to develop my finger-span.
sig goes here