Hi there, I was wondering if you could help me choose a USB interface. I've looked at firewire ones and they are a bit out of my price range, which is about £60 ($120) maximum. So far i have looked at the line 6 toneport, m-audio fast track, and emu usb.

My rig so far is... Guitar > Peavey Valveking 112 > Shure SM58 > XLR Cable > (new interface/sound card) > intel dual core 2.66 ghz 2gb ram PC > Cool edit pro 2.0 or Reason 3.0.

On the PC I have onboard sound, which i've heard is no good for recording but it is a 7.1 surround sound high definition audio one? So could i use that for recording?

What do you think of my rig so far and what would you guys do? save for a mic preamp (e.g. art tube mp)/recording sound card or just go for the usb interface now and by pass my onboard sound? Im very new to recording!

thanks!
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
the USB interface will act as an external soundcard of some sorts, so you can just leave the soundcard you have in (I probably have the same onboard card, Realtek HD or something). The sound you record will be recorded thru your USB interface, thus bypassing your onboard soundcard. In other words the quality should be fine.

Also, Tascam makes a really nice USB interface for around 60 quid if I recall correctly. I just forgot its name but you'll have to check the website.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Line 6 Also makes a Guitar Port, which is like a ridiculously small Tone Port. Small enough that it clips onto the strap of your guitar/bass.
It's relatively cheap, and should be in your price range. Check it out.
so either way the interface will be better than going into my onboard sound? great. i'll gof or one of those then. so far i have...

line 6 toneport ux1 (looks great)
emu usb,
m-audio fast track (looks very cheap and plasticky)
tascam

any others i should look out for?
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
There's Art's Dual Pre, which is the same price as the M Audio. That said, any of these will serve you well.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
If going with USB I suggest going with USB 2.0 so stick with the E-MU interfaces.
The 0202 is nice and should work but the 0404 gives more inputs and a MIDI interface on board as well which is always nice.

The stock sound cards are made for ok sounding playback but in reality, the interface will give both much higher quality recording and playback.
You will disable the drivers on the stock sound card before installing the new interface.

The Toneports are...umm...fair to use however they do tend to color the sound a little and they were made to directly connect your guitar or mic into and use the on board FX so when micing an amp it may color your sound too much...
The E-MU units are nice for the price.

Go with an interface, you can get preamps later if needed however most interfaces have fair on board preamps already and for home recording, you most likley will never need a high end preamp which will set you back around $1,000 anyways...