Hey, I have owned a guitar with a floyd rose and this is my second time restringing it, and the 5th or so time I have had to retune it. Normally, it takes me a few goes to get all the strings balenced, I tune the low e, then the a, then the low e and a again, then the d etc. Now I can't seem to get the strings to stay in tune. The bridge can start completely sunken in the cavity, then it will be in full dive-bomb and I have only tuned like half of the strings. I then have to loosen all the strings and start tuning again. In the past I have had to do this once or twice, but I must have done it like 20 times and I haven't gotten it in tune without it being in full divebomb. Also, I have broken three high e strings in the last week... loosening them? They break right near the tuning peg, so I can't use them again. I have never had this sort of problem before, what is going on?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
You're supposed to tune from high e and then go b,g, etc....
Quote by shreddin_frets
I've never played guiar before. Is it communist?

Quote by HeavyMetaldude
Now how should i dispose of the poo stick?
Quote by RhoadsJackson71
You're supposed to tune from high e and then go b,g, etc....

You can tune it how you want. I did mine last night going E, A, E, A D, etc. It came out fine.

TS, have you looked at the floyd rose set up sticky? It's got more information than you could hope for and really helped me out.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Thanks for the help. I still don't understand why the string snapped when I loosened it though...
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
after you put the strings on, stretch them, all, HEAPS, till it holds it's tune,
(if you dont know what it means to "stretch" the strings then there should be somewhere on this site that tells you, otherwise go to a music shop and ask them about it.)

before you took the old strings off, did u put a little bit of wood in the cavity to stop the bridge from dropping to the floor? if not thats why it has sunk into the cavity, also it may be off balanced because you might have put a different gauge strings on the guitar?
I used the right strings, but I'll find out how to stretch them. No, I don't put a block of wood in the cavity.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Quote by grobbo91
I used the right strings, but I'll find out how to stretch them. No, I don't put a block of wood in the cavity.

yeah you need a small block of wood (I use a little battery) and keep your tremolo bar on the bridge, dive the bridge down and put your implement in the cavity. once the implement is in let the bar go back up, and hopefully whatever you've put in the cavity makes the bridge sit flat straight on the guitar, then once you take the strings off, the bridge wont drop into the cavity.

No matter what guitar, after changing strings you should really stretch them. it's easy to do. I put my finger of my right hand, under a string, inbetween the middle of the pickups, then lift the string up with a little force, then run my left hand fingers from the start of the fretboard and slide them down to my right hand on that one string. then you should notice the string has droped in tune, so then you tune it back up to pitch and do the same again and again and again until it holds it's pitch after you've stretched the string enough time's. then do that for every stirng. It takes a while but it's very nescessary.

hope my bad explaining helps. I had exsactly the same problems when i first got mine. but once you know how to the change strings etc. its farely easy.
i fold up a little tea towel and put it in the cavity of my guitar cos mine's got that weird paper-art finish or whatever. Anyways if you're not changing guage then you shouldn't have all this hassle to be honest, i just tune mine up once all the strings are on and usually it requires very little adjusting. A good way to stretch the strings is to get them all on, tune them up for the first time and then either bend them loads with your fingers (as in like a regular string bend) or you can get your whammy bar and just push it all the way down and then pull it all the way back up, just watch out the tension isn't too much all they might snap off somewhere.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by grobbo91

if you dont have a block of wood in your pocket you can do like me and use a spoon.