I have an audition in 7 days for a college music course.

Letter:

Your interview will last approximately 1 hour. On your visit you will be asked to complete a Basic Skills Initial Assessement.

For your interview/audition you should prepare two contrasting pieces of music to perform on your chosen instrument. We will provide amplifiers and playback facilities for backing tracks.

So I really need help. If Anyone else before has applied for Muisic Techonology in a college in UK, can they give a bit of advice? Maybe tell what they had to learn for the assessement?

And can I have some suggestions for the pieces? I have both electric and acoustic guitars.

Ugh, I'm bricking it.

Anyway thanks for your help
Last edited by Kyle.E at Jun 10, 2008,
thuckingkunt would you just **** OFF!
"Even though I've found God, I still love blow jobs, and I still say fuck." - Dave Mustaine

You know, when you, like, you grab a woman's breast and it's... and you feel it and... it feels like a bag of sand when you're touching it.
Quote by thuckingkunt
lol wut?

No one thinks you're funny/cute.

On topic: Does it have to be something you wrote, or can it be whatever?..
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Quote by I Be Andyy
No one thinks you're funny/cute.

On topic: Does it have to be something you wrote, or can it be whatever?..

It doesn't really say, but I'm going to learn one of each, just to be on the safe side.
Quote by thuckingkunt
lol wut?

not funny
Quote by dr_chainsaw0
the whole time i was expecting it to end in the fresh prince theme song

Quote by blackflag49
"You're only as fresh as your game", said the Lord - Corinthians 22:12
Hmm couldnt you just show yourself at a live gig doing a brain splattering solo cause i know this music teacher at a college who has seen me play and said he could get me in because of that.. i dunno,.
Quote by Kyle.E
It doesn't really say, but I'm going to learn one of each, just to be on the safe side.

Well..if you CAN play someone else's work, Canon Rock would be pretty sweet..

or u r can b k00l n pleh throo fire n flames lOL!!!1

...Sorry
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Quote by Kyle.E

learn two of each... two of your own and two by some band... then ask them if when you get there whether you have to play your own stuff or band stuff, that way, if they say your own/band you have two pieces at the ready.

also, play something you can play well. dont just go for something because you find it hard. if you find something hard, you will f*ck up...

saying that, dont choose ridicularly easy stuff either...

good luck
What are you going for? I live in America and here you have to play two contrasting pieces from Classical guitarists for the Music Performance - Classical guitar, The other is Guitar Performance- Jazz, where you have to play a jazz piece, state the melody once, the rhythym, and then improvise over the whole piece. Hope that helps.
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
Quote by Winsbury
learn two of each... two of your own and two by some band... then ask them if when you get there whether you have to play your own stuff or band stuff, that way, if they say your own/band you have two pieces at the ready.

also, play something you can play well. dont just go for something because you find it hard. if you find something hard, you will f*ck up...

saying that, dont choose ridicularly easy stuff either...

good luck

Thanks for advice

I'm just browsing through my playlist now seeing what I can play. I want to play a song from each instrument (electric/acoustic). I'll probably go for some chill, upbeat song on my guitar, then maybe something pretty complex, fast; something to show off a bit.
For electric i would play a dream theatre piece as they often have intersting rythm sections and a good solo with lots of techniques.

For acoustic play something by Rodrigo Y gabriela as they hae good rythm and lead lines oto but it is a completely contrasting style

Hope you do well
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
i wouldn't worry dude, my friend does music at college and he's really good but some of his class mates on the course are soooooooooo bad, one of em cann't even strum up and down properly so I wouldn't worry.

What level is this course? (ie. BTEC, HND?)
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
It's an A Level, I'm not sure if it goes under another name but that's what they're typically called >_>
Well, I assume your level is pretty high? What can you play?

I suggest: Do some Buckethead or Vai for the fast stuff, and some Jazz for the contrast..

For my Uni audition I played a piece from the Rockschool Grade 7 book and a piece which I arranged which goes from Bach to Metallica.
"Scarified" by Racer X for your upbeat song
*Insert Jazzy song* for contrast
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Okay I know what I'm playing; Beethoven Virus - Electric
- Not too hard. I think I'ma keep my showing off for when I'm actually in class, where if I **** up it won't matter.

For acoustic, I think I might go for a chill, simple song, though I'll probably have to sing to it.

Or I might just play a fingerpicking tune I made a few months back, even though it's pretty each it sounds very mellow, easing.
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge for acoustic.

It works SO well, and the examiners love it. Trust.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
Quote by SweetsForLife
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge for acoustic.

It works SO well, and the examiners love it. Trust.

Thanks for the suggestion
Auditions like that are other peices. I think you need to give them the sheet music aswell.
Bristol Rovers

Up the Gas!

Please, call me Joe.
Ayye I was just told by a friend a score was probably compulsory, It's okay, I have one for BV and I'll find/make one for the acoustic piece.
for your first peice do some thing super metal full of power chords and **** like that make it a really good song.

then on your classic guitar do somthing like a spanish flamenco to show a slight bit of contrast
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Fendi Shoes is actually extremely advantageous.
Quote by Kyle.E
I have an audition in 7 days for a college music course.

Letter:

So I really need help. If Anyone else before has applied for Muisic Techonology in a college in UK, can they give a bit of advice? Maybe tell what they had to learn for the assessement?

And can I have some suggestions for the pieces? I have both electric and acoustic guitars.

Ugh, I'm bricking it.

Anyway thanks for your help

I did Music Tech last year, no audition for me, I'm doing the second year next year, so I dunno. I definitely didn't have one though.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Quote by Kiffa
I did Music Tech last year, no audition for me, I'm doing the second year next year, so I dunno. I definitely didn't have one though.

Ayye, I got the letter earlier today. 2 pieces of work to play and a basic asssesment test. It shouldn't be too bad, I know a fair bit of musical theory, no I'm not sure I'll get in, as I didn't take Music as a GCSE.

But hopefully I can do well in the examination/audition/interview :3
Try something by James Taylor...Very melodic fingerpicking pieces, decent level technicality, but also the examiners will be able to enjoy and appreciate it.

Don't try and melt their face...thats not going to be nearly as impressive...

Show off what you know...cater to your strengths...you probably wont be playing your favorite song. Find one that will be unforgettable...