Hey so I play mostly post-hardcore (Saosin, Chiodos, Red Jumpsuit, From First To Last) I was wondering what you guys think would be a good amp for that? right now heres my setup, guitar and amp wise.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100HDFXMG412-Slant-Cab-Half-Stack-Package?sku=482807

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-SG-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=517265

Needless to say, I don't need a new guitar.
Randall RG50.

Its a 50 watt tube combo designed for heavy stuff, assuming "post hardcore" is heavy...?

Cos what your playing now is 100 watts of ass banging balls.
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
Well, Im looking a half stack, for everything my price range is probably 1700-2000. Im open to buying things used.
DSL 50 half-stack was an excellent suggestion. That thing is versatile as... jeans. Yes, as versatile as jeans.

Other good options include a Mesa-Boogie Single Rectifier, a 5150 (not much tone, in my humblest opinion), and Orange 50 watt heads, except the head alone has your budget filled.

I have the DSL 50, and that amp is all you need. Try is out though, first. Also, you can get them used for much less than $1000.
_______
|||||||||||||||
hardcore is gay, why not get an amp made for your type of music. Your type of music is gaycore, because you like buttsex
Quote by sammyboy77
Well, Im looking a half stack, for everything my price range is probably 1700-2000. Im open to buying things used.

You don't need a half stack, trust me.

Anything from this search: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/tube-guitar-combo-amps?N=100001+338503+14

should get pretty good tone, all you have to do is pick the right tone for your kind of music and you should be set for life.

Unfortunately I have no idea what those bands sound like so you'll have to get more recommendations or do some research for the exact one to choose.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yea, I had been looking at all of those but wasnt sure which one I should go with, I really wanted an Orange or Bogner, but ****, those are wayyyy to expensive. Are you running a 1960 cab with your DSL 50?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You don't need a half stack, trust me.

Anything from this search: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/tube-guitar-combo-amps?N=100001+338503+14

should get pretty good tone, all you have to do is pick the right tone for your kind of music and you should be set for life.

Unfortunately I have no idea what those bands sound like so you'll have to get more recommendations or do some research for the exact one to choose.

Man wants a half stack.

THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH AMPS THAT AREN'T COMBOS. I TALKED TO JIMI HENDRIX, AND ALMOST EVERY OTHER FAMED ROCK GUITARIST, AND THEY ALL OKAY'D THE STACK!
_______
|||||||||||||||
Quote by sammyboy77
Yea, I had been looking at all of those but wasnt sure which one I should go with, I really wanted an Orange or Bogner, but ****, those are wayyyy to expensive. Are you running a 1960 cab with your DSL 50?

Yeah, 1960A cab. Not the AV (vintage) or any special cab. Just the standard slanted one.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Alright, I'll be heading down to San Fran to check out some amps, thanks for the advice guys.
Quote by dannyisokay
Man wants a half stack.

THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH AMPS THAT AREN'T COMBOS. I TALKED TO JIMI HENDRIX, AND ALMOST EVERY OTHER FAMED ROCK GUITARIST, AND THEY ALL OKAY'D THE STACK!

I don't mean to be harsh but why pay for a half stack when you can pay the same amount for a higher-quality combo?

I don't care about famous rock guitarists; when you're playing in front of huge numbers of people then fine, go with a half stack, but until that time ANY half stack is overkill.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
if you're thinking of just buying a head and using the MG cab, don't.
just try and sell the MG head and cab and buy a combo.
unless you find something you like thats only available as a head(which could be very likely).
then just get a 2x12 cab.
a head and 2x12 is probably easier to carry then a combo anyways, but it will probably be more expensive.

and look used, then you probably will find an orange you like, be patient.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by dannyisokay
Man wants a half stack.

every famed guitarist has had a budget 10 times the size of his.
combos just get you higher quality for less money.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Well, my band is already gigging, and whenever I hear myself live, my amp sounds so bad I just want to stop playing and pack up and leave, its just a ****ty amp that I bought 1 year ago when I didn't know anything about amps.
I love combos also. I have a VOX AC30, and i play it more than I play my Marshall... BUT!

If he wants a half stack, there's no reason to deter him, unless he's not really playing out. Yes, you can get a combo for less than the head and cab, but combos are pretty pricey also.

Half stacks can be loads of fun, and encourage you to play them a lot, because they're awesome looking and sounding.

I don't put down combos one bit.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Like I said, a combo isn't enough, because my band is playing out quite a bit now that summer has come along and were all out of school.
Quote by sammyboy77
Like I said, a combo isn't enough, because my band is playing out quite a bit now that summer has come along and were all out of school.

crank a tube combo and tell me it's not enough again.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
Quote by sammyboy77

A good combo is enough; the last band I was in played a gig with no PA (apart from vocals) and the guitarists combos cut through the mix fine.

As long as you can be heard over your drummer then you'll be fine and most tube amps can be heard over your average drummer.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Yeah, I have to agree with the combo statements. My 30-watt VOX is LOUD. Way too loud to turn up all the way or anything like that.

Plus, if you do "get big", you're going to want something different anyway. You'd probably want a Marshall JCM800 or a Mesa Triple Rec or something.

If you want a half stack for a number of reasons, get it, but don't think for a second that a combo isn't loud enough. A 4x12 cab will give you a slight amount more headroom before breakup, and a better-distributed sound, but a 30 or 50 or 60 watt combo is way too loud for it to be an issue.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Quote by sammyboy77

I've played 1000 Person capacity venues with a combo...it will work. A head and 4x12 in speakers does not significant increase in volume make. Even a 30w Tube combo could make your drummer cry. For $2000 you could almost find a used Soldano combo or something REALLY nice like the Egnater Tourmaster combo or ENGL Screamer. Then you can spend the money you saved on some decent pedals. Your tone will thank you! And becoming "big" does not mean you need a stack. Look at some of the guitarists people know and love for their tone. Like for instance, The Edge...what does he have on stage? Thats right 2 30w AC 30 combos and some small Fender combos. He plays bigger venues than you will probably ever play. Theres others like that as well.

I DON'T mean this to be condescending or anything. But I DO want you to realize you almost never need a halfstack for anything. It just looks cool. But whats cooler than a stack is someone who cares enough about their sound that they will play through an amp that sounds good, even if it doesn't look ballsy.

If you are still hellbent on a halfstack, buy an Avatar cab and a good used head as suggested before
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Jun 10, 2008,
Mic a combo up you dumb ****.
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
A fairly powerful tube combo is still pretty loud and good for venues, even unmic'd. For a greater "spread of the sound" like with a 4x12 it could always be propped up onto a box or something.
Quote by sammyboy77
Plus I want a half stack so if I get big I won't have to buy ANOTHER amp.

lol

lol again.

First, IF you get big, you'll have more then enough cash to upgrade again. Second, the extra speakers from a 412 cab aren't going to give you any more volume. You'll push a bit more air and get a bit more low-end response but that's all.

Anyways, for what you're looking for, if you can scrape together a bit more cash I'd suggest the Orange Rocker 30. You can snag the head plus a nice 212 for just about $1,500.

Thomas Erak from The Fall of Troy plays through Oranges and uses and SG alot of the time, so if it's post-hardcore you want you can't do too much better.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Save up about 2600, and grab an Orange Rockerverb 50 combo. It's the new super popular amp amoung pop punk, punk, hardcore, and post hardcore bands.

BTW, a combo is loud enough. My 40W tube combo keeps up easily with my drummer, and isn't even past 3 on the dial. It also keeps up with my co-guitarist's 100W halfstack.