Ok, I've been playing for almost three years with guitar. A lot of people want me to teach lessons. And before you say I need to have played longer, I've played Classical piano for 9 years. I can tap fine and sweep pick decently. But my question is, what do you teach a beginner? I never really was a beginner, from the moment I started guitar, I knew a bunch about theory.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
first and foremost...picking excercise such as 1 2, 2 3, 3 4 on all strings etc
chords also. and teach them a popular easy song they like, so that way they get interested. and picking dynamics are important also. and also fingering. get them into some easy chromatic exercises.
EDIT:pentatonic scale too, then move on to other scales
start with some basic open chords and some riffs. I usually do half an hour lessons, 15 mins on the chords, 15 mins learning a tune or song
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Yup I agree with the stuff mentioned, and you could try correct technique like hand positions and so on to make sure they develop clean technique also.
Definitely what they said about proper technique and the pentatonic. Though make sure you dont teach them any bad habits that you arent aware you do(it happens). And if your gonna charge them...please make it cheap, considering you are not at a high level of musicianship, nor a trained instructor. and Have fun!
EDIT: Slodont try to submerge them into a sea of theory at first...bring it on slowly, unless they understand it all.
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
Last edited by Lamrick21 at Jun 10, 2008,
I'm teaching someone at the moment. It's only been a month
and he's making leaps...becuase i'm his uncle.
Mainly becuase it's more than an hour a week he gets lessons.
He can play 4-5 song complete.

yeap..teach them songs they want to learn to keep them interested.
Out of all things, this kid only wants to learn pima or accustic songs
So i had to do a lot of pima picking patterns, but it's natural for him..

His weak pionts are strumming. I try to sneak it in or show him some
cool songs with strumming, so he'll get inerested in strumming.

I sneak in theory every so often
which is like pulling teeth...which makes it a bit difficult to get him
to learn the fretboard will.

Rather then just have him play random notes on the fret board.
I taugh him C maj scale pattern 2 octive...it requires him to
use all of his fingers including his pinky. And i made him call out the
names of the notes as he playes them
A couple of pentatonic pattern
He can make all of the open chords and bar chords
A combination of chords and scale excersize had help his fretboard hand
strength.

He knows all the basics of the 1/2 step are between 3/4 and 7/8
I,IV,V=maj
ii,iii,vi=min

No clue or concept of the circle of 5th ,yet.
No clue on chords or scales constructions.

He just goes to the tab sections of UG

It depends on the person and how much they want to persue
music. I can't force him to want to learn theory.

But he pratice 2 hours a day....mmm i take it back
I plays the guitar a couple of hours a day and practice 5 mins a day.

Obviousely reading music is out of the question at the moment
Last edited by Ordinary at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by JesusLives
Ok, I've been playing for almost three years with guitar. A lot of people want me to teach lessons. And before you say I need to have played longer, I've played Classical piano for 9 years. I can tap fine and sweep pick decently. But my question is, what do you teach a beginner? I never really was a beginner, from the moment I started guitar, I knew a bunch about theory.

Tapping and sweep picking has nothing to do with teaching a beginner, I dont know why you used this point. People seem to think if they can tap and sweep they are a great guitar player, which is not the case. I would teach a beginner the basic open chords, how to hold the pick, correct posture, simple strumming patterns, basic music reading.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Quote by radiantmoon

I would teach a beginner the basic open chords, how to hold the pick, correct posture, simple strumming patterns, basic music reading.

+1
good advice

Quote by Freepower
^Plus a song they like using the things mentioned.

also good advice
shred is gaudy music
How to read simple music with just strum 1/4 notes of basic chords get them counting.
How to hold guitar pick etc
G E A D C chords in open position
They should be able to do this **** before moving on but you also need to show them something they want to play maybe mix something else in they they wanted to try.
You start off on tuning and how to hold the guitar. I'd start with a-g cowboy chords and the major scale. Then you can working your way into sharps, power chords, pitch axis (I hate using this term but I can't remember what I learned it as), common progresions, country vs. blues, blues scale.
I teach at a local music academy. When I take on younger students for the first time, I first get a feel for the type of music they like. Based on that, I assess how interested they really are in playing and start from there. If they are 100% new at the guitar, I teach them about the parts of the guitar and how to hold it, hold the pick, etc. I then start with basic fretting techniques and teach them about how I will be referring to the strings as numbers to start off (Not notes yet, don't want to confuse them ). I give them a couple simple fretting and picking exercises which usually consist of alternate picking the first 4 frets on each string (4 so they are able to be comfortable with their index - pinky fingers).

That's I start off the first lesson anyhow... From there on I start getting them into chords (major, minor, open, bar, power, 7th, 6th, 9th, 13th, suspended, diminished - on a side note, don't teach them chords that don't make sense without theory unless you're teaching the theory along with the chords. Try several methods of explaining it because I guarantee that even if they say they get it, they don't), scales, notes, and songs. I ask the student if there is any particular song they want to learn. A lot of them request easy songs that are cliche in guitar, but, this is perfect for a young student who is just starting out. It usually only takes a few lessons to learn the song and then we start back again on technique/theory. It's a decent process that has thinking involved but also some fun too.

Some of my more advanced students that I've been teaching for a while are now starting on improvisation and we're jamming together + learning more complex songs. Hell, I'm helping one of my students learn Andy McKee's "Drifting".

It's just a matter of approach. The one thing you DON'T want to do though is start them off too advanced. I know they're kids and they soak up stuff like sponges but really, start with the basics. If you don't, you're hindering them from learning in the future. AND, ALWAYS TEACH THEM ALTERNATE PICKING. Rule of thumb: all kids want to shred. If they're not taught alternate picking, they will resort to one way picking as a habit and it will be tough to break in the future!

█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Last edited by jasonmetal love at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by radiantmoon
Tapping and sweep picking has nothing to do with teaching a beginner, I dont know why you used this point. People seem to think if they can tap and sweep they are a great guitar player, which is not the case. I would teach a beginner the basic open chords, how to hold the pick, correct posture, simple strumming patterns, basic music reading.

I just wanted to show where I am guitarwise. Thanks so much. This is most help I've gotten by far from UG. Awesome.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”