I have to make this 16-32 page book that explains music to kids in Africa. I need to teach them really basic theory. So far I have:

There are many types of music in the world, in this book the focus will be Western Music. There are three basic parts to music: melody, rhythm, and harmony.

Melody is the part of the song that you sing along to.

Rhythm is the beat of a song. You can clap the rhythm of a song. Try it! Take your favorite melody and instead of singing, clap it! You just clapped a rhythm!

Harmony is what happens when more than one note are played together. Harmonies can sound good or bad. Sing one note, and have a friend sing a different note at the same time. You just created a harmony!

Notes are what makes songs. Sing the first word in your favorite song and hold it out. You are singing a note. Now sing the next word. That’s a note too.

There are 12 notes in western music. The distance between two notes is called an
interval. Sing the first note of your favorite song. Now sing the second note.

I'm getting stuck because I don't know how I can explain intervals, chords, etc to people who probably don't even know what a note is. The next thing I'm trying to do is explain enharmonics, then solfeggio.

Any help pit?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Use pictures along with it.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
And audio aids. Play something and explain the parts.

Why are you doing this by the way?

Edit:
Oh books. Scratch the idea.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by kikaykitko

Why are you doing this by the way?

Community service class. :P
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Community service class. :P

Cool.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by kikaykitko

Yeah if it's one thing they need more in africa it's aids
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Play braindrill and try to explain melody to them.
Bristol Rovers

Up the Gas!

Please, call me Joe.
Quote by Kensai

Haha for some reason that actually made me lol. :P
Is there any way you could make a movie instead?
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by black-sabbath
Is there any way you could make a movie instead?

I could, but I don't wanna do this outside of class...so book is the best way to go for me. It's probably better because I doubt they have DVD players in Namibia.

(I'm in class now. That's why I'm posting this, I'm totally stuck. )
nice idea. maybe try to explain some of their music and compare and contrast it to western music. Teach them about different instruments. Talk about mood and tone. But most importantly keep it easy and fun!

good luck

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Quote by StrokeMidnight
I could, but I don't wanna do this outside of class...so book is the best way to go for me. It's probably better because I doubt they have DVD players in Namibia.

But they have PCs. Take em a nice powerpoint presentation. See if Mr. Negroponte's OLPC scheme has actually worked!
Play the twig. Or the mud drum.

Click.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Quote by Tenacious D'er
nice idea. maybe try to explain some of their music and compare and contrast it to western music. Teach them about different instruments. Talk about mood and tone. But most importantly keep it easy and fun!

good luck

I don't know anything about African music, except that it's rhythms combine with western harmony to create the blues. So that's out of the question.
I grew up in South Africa and I know that the kids there aren't retarded. They know what music is, it's the backbone of their culture. They may not know official music theory but they know music.

And I can guarantee you if you go up to a random kid they'll know the whole lyrics to at least one 50 cent or Jay-Z song.

Now if you're doing this for North Africa it's a different story, it's a lot worse off than southern africa. But they'll still know what music is.

Edit - You could just record all this on an audio CD and give audio examples of everything. And yes they have CDs in Africa
When I saw the thread title I thought it was about explaining what music is to kids in Africa as if they're too poor to have music.

But yeah, lots of simple examples and diagrams should help.
Quote by ass****

kensai, that was racy.

Just use as many examples as possible
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
F* teaching them about our music. Learn their stuff! That country probably has waaaaay more musical roots than ours. Not so much harmonies but percussion wise
Habib Koite

Learn about their music first. I reccommend the above artist, hes really good.
Founder of the Mike.h murder case group
Mike.h murder case
This day will go down in Lulzfamy.

Quote by Audio™
The Pit can't even solve what they want for lunch let alone how to save the world.
Quote by ir0n_ma1den
Habib Koite

Learn about their music first. I reccommend the above artist, hes really good.

I only know him due to two of his tracks being included with Vista, but I Ka Barra is a great catchy track.

Any albums of his I should download?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
It's like you teach a blind man how to see green....he just can't he does not know it...he could know the exact frequency of it and he still wouldn't know jack about it.

your work is complimentary,but let's face it.Unless you show them,or someone else,they will never know what it is.
Hodam,a stojim...
Quote by Free Time
F* teaching them about our music. Learn their stuff! That country probably has waaaaay more musical roots than ours. Not so much harmonies but percussion wise

I doubt any term with the prefix poly- (such as polyrhythm in African music) will go over well with toddlers...

Just stick to the basics.

For enharmonics, you would have to teach them notation first... Seems like a drag. I personally think you should save notation for another time.

For chords, you'd have to first establish what octaves and tones are. Then tell them that any 3 or more distinctive tones played simultaneously is a chord.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by GnR_ROK
I only know him due to two of his tracks being included with Vista, but I Ka Barra is a great catchy track.

Any albums of his I should download?

The only album I have is Muso ko, its good.
Founder of the Mike.h murder case group
Mike.h murder case
This day will go down in Lulzfamy.

Quote by Audio™
The Pit can't even solve what they want for lunch let alone how to save the world.