I want my friend to play, he said he wouldnt mind trying. I have another LP he could use. The very first thing to teach is how to read tab, right?
The first thing would teach him basic chords. Either open or power/barre. Also teach him notes and open strings.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
no teach him scales and tab
then chords because he will have finger muscles and it will be alot easier
Quote by Kensai
It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
First teach him scales, very slowly and tab to go along with it.
Throw in some music theory here and there
Then show hinm the chords to go around it.
then improvisation.
All the while throw in parts of songs he likes so that he can plays those and stay interested
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
if he said he'd like to give it a try, i'm pretty sure he isn't going to want to learn scales right now, i've got a suspicion that he'll get bored. Just teach him tabs, then find some songs he likes that are really easy... people learn guitar firstly to play songs they like (well i did), then later when they know it's what they want to do, they learn how to write songs and such...

but that's just my two cents.
O O

___
yeah i would show him some easy riffs to keep him interested then scales and stuff if he wants to stick with it
Lets make a toast...To women's underwear its not the best thing in the world but its next to it...
ya, for sure do more song oriented stuff first, if you start w/ scales and music theory, he'll get bored really fast.
hmm... why not ask him what he wants to do? but keep it simple lol

and yeh teach him his fave easy songs and some easy riffs and bring him in slowly
Quote by ninjafingers
ya, for sure do more song oriented stuff first, if you start w/ scales and music theory, he'll get bored really fast.

yeah, i've seen so many people quit guitar just because they said they weren't getting what they wanted from their lessons...

as i said, people just want to have fun on guitar. Teach him his favorite songs, and then if he says "is there something more" or "how do you write songs", teach him what he wants. But for know, try to keep it fun and interesting.
O O

___