Just curious what is the best one available at that price.

This includes all brands, not just Gibson. Edwards? Tokai? ESP Eclipse? Something at least made in Japan.

I want to get one eventually, but I don't want to overpay for a Gibby. Not too fond of the Epiphone headstock either, IMO it's just too damn ugly.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
What kinda music?

Well, your traditional Les Paul style stuff I guess... Rock, Hard Rock, Blues Rock, Metal.
ESP eclipse or a esp ltd ec-1000 i guess or a elitist epiphone
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
I'd definitely get an old Tokai Love Rock. I always see them going for less than that and they are amazing guitars. A nice Japanese one will be brilliant.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Edwards, Tokai, Burny, Orville, Epiphone (the non-export models in Japan have the Gibby headstock) are all good options for you, based on glowing reviews from around the forums.

I personally have been EXTREMELY impressed with the Epiphone Elitist/Elite LP, and if you can find one with the Gibson headstock (or if you're fine with the Elitist/Elite "transition" headstock--which is different from the standard US production Epi headstock), I think you'd be hard pressed to find a significantly better guitar for your money---or even twice as much money.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by Kurapica
I'd definitely get an old Tokai Love Rock. I always see them going for less than that and they are amazing guitars. A nice Japanese one will be brilliant.

what he said.
+1 for the Tokai. None of the Japanese models I've triead have deceived me.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
most of those japanese copies already mentioned are pretty good (or are supposed to be pretty good, for the ones i haven't tried).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want something that is a workhorse and aim to play on the road often, then the Gibson Vintage Mahogany LP is fabulous also at a great price tag of $900. It's a steal including a hardcase.