0 0%
Black Star-Yngwie Malmsteen
3 8%
A Necrophagist song
5 13%
Other(specify)
4 11%
Voters: 38.
Whcih one of these songs do you suggest I start learning now for an auduition into a music school, probably Berklee? Keep in mind that it would have to be between 3-5 minutes or around there.
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
Last edited by bsoates at Jun 10, 2008,
If you have anything you composed yourself I think that'd probably be the most impressive.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Don't be discouraged, but no school will take you seriously if you play any of those songs. Regardless of whether or not you see musical value in these pieces (I do), few professors will. Another problem is that the professors must have a matching published transcription to the one you will be reading from. You will most likely be expected to illustrate a proficiency in classical and jazz to get accepted into a music conservatory. Sometimes, jazz is not required; it depends on whether or not the conservatory places emphasis on contemporary genres. You will absolutely be expected to be fluent in sight-reading standard notation.

For your classical audition, you will need two pieces; one at a slow tempo, and one at a hasty tempo. For your slow tempo selection, I would suggest "Gymnopedie no. 1" by Erik Satie, a French piece composed and published in 1887. I would suggest discussing your other choices with a professor of music at the college you plan to apply to.
Out of those, FTLOG. You get to show control of melody, dynamics and phrasing, plus you get to show off your technique - and all in an easily accessible way for someone unused to virtuoso guitar.

Can you actually play all that stuff?
Not yet but I want to pick a song and practice like crazt to get to that ability and master the song.
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
Quote by Donswald
Don't be discouraged, but no school will take you seriously if you play any of those songs. Regardless of whether or not you see musical value in these pieces (I do), few professors will.

I agree but I think Flight Over Rio would be a sensible choice out of those songs. But yeah, I don't know about Berklee but most music schools really seem to favour classical and jazz students.
Quote by Donswald
Regardless of whether or not you see musical value in these pieces (I do), few professors will.

If the professors can't see musical value in any of those songs, they suck. Who wants a professor that thinks jazz and classical are the only genres of music in the world? I doubt they are really that closed minded.
For Berklee i'd do either Cliffs of Dover, For the Love of God, or Flight Over Rio. Out of those three, Flight Over Rio because i'm sure Berklee hears Cliffs of Dover or For the Love of God a lot more often.
damn, racer x, cynic, di meola, and necrophagist.
you have some good tastes.

i'd suggest flight over rio
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Not yet but I want to pick a song and practice like crazt to get to that ability and master the song.

This is a terrible, terrible idea. If you just learn one song really really well and ace it at an audition and get in with that, the other people may get very bothered by you if you don't have the general chops to back your **** up. There is a girl in my school that just...well she's freakin' terrible, but she got in because she just practiced the hell out of her two songs before her audition.

Also, even if it is Berklee, either play jazz or classical, or be prepared to have a NOTE FOR NOTE standard notation transcription of what you're playing for the professors. Otherwise they won't know if you're BSing them or not. And if you don't have sheet music of it, they probably just will ignore you, cause they won't be sure.

If the professors can't see musical value in any of those songs, they suck. Who wants a professor that thinks jazz and classical are the only genres of music in the world? I doubt they are really that closed minded.

The reason they often want something that is jazz (at least, I can't speak as well to classical) is that it requires you to demonstrate all different kinds of musical abilities. Playing a cover of another song doesn't require you to demonstrate your improvisation abilities, your ability to read music, your ability to follow a chord chart, etc etc. And with classical you are at least proving that "HEY, I CAN READ MUSIC!!!" While there is value in all kinds of music, these demonstrate the most skills of the player in one shot, cause you don't really have a long time in auditions.

Also, Berklee is the only school that will even consider a non-jazz or classical tune for auditions really. All other schools, unless they explicitly say so, want jazz or classical, cause if you can't play either of them, you won't fit their program.

Also, I hope you recognize the fact that you'll have to live in a practice room for several years attending music school. Lots of rock guys end up in school on guitar, and then freak out when they find out they actually have to work, and have to learn classical theory, and analyze classical music, and lots of it. And learn music history back to pre-baroque. So I hope you are doing your research about schools honestly, and realizing what you're getting into. The only reason I say this is cause of all the sad sob stories I've heard of kids that just couldn't hack it, and find out they've wasted lots of time, and even more money.
Quote by Guitar_Theory
This is a terrible, terrible idea. If you just learn one song really really well and ace it at an audition and get in with that, the other people may get very bothered by you if you don't have the general chops to back your **** up. There is a girl in my school that just...well she's freakin' terrible, but she got in because she just practiced the hell out of her two songs before her audition.

Also, even if it is Berklee, either play jazz or classical, or be prepared to have a NOTE FOR NOTE standard notation transcription of what you're playing for the professors. Otherwise they won't know if you're BSing them or not. And if you don't have sheet music of it, they probably just will ignore you, cause they won't be sure.

The reason they often want something that is jazz (at least, I can't speak as well to classical) is that it requires you to demonstrate all different kinds of musical abilities. Playing a cover of another song doesn't require you to demonstrate your improvisation abilities, your ability to read music, your ability to follow a chord chart, etc etc. And with classical you are at least proving that "HEY, I CAN READ MUSIC!!!" While there is value in all kinds of music, these demonstrate the most skills of the player in one shot, cause you don't really have a long time in auditions.

Also, Berklee is the only school that will even consider a non-jazz or classical tune for auditions really. All other schools, unless they explicitly say so, want jazz or classical, cause if you can't play either of them, you won't fit their program.

Also, I hope you recognize the fact that you'll have to live in a practice room for several years attending music school. Lots of rock guys end up in school on guitar, and then freak out when they find out they actually have to work, and have to learn classical theory, and analyze classical music, and lots of it. And learn music history back to pre-baroque. So I hope you are doing your research about schools honestly, and realizing what you're getting into. The only reason I say this is cause of all the sad sob stories I've heard of kids that just couldn't hack it, and find out they've wasted lots of time, and even more money.

Classical doesnt just demonstrate you can read music. It takes really good technique to play classical guitar convincingly and with all the dynamics classical music uses, you need to have a great feel for music.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Quote by radiantmoon
Classical doesnt just demonstrate you can read music. It takes really good technique to play classical guitar convincingly and with all the dynamics classical music uses, you need to have a great feel for music.

That's why he said "at least" it demonstrates that you can read music. He wasn't making a derogatory statement about classical music- he had implied earlier that he was just bigger on jazz.
Quote by one vision
It's better to suck up to the professors and get into the school rather than try to make a statement about your musical tastes.

Another bad idea. Don't alter your musical tastes, if you really don't like the kind of music at the school, don't go. If jazz or classical isn't your thing, and you think you'd hate having to play it non-stop for four years, don't look at that specific school. And don't freakin' suck up to professors, be honest, not a kiss-ass idiot, especially if you really don't have the needed skills for the particular school.

Quote by ouchies
I say learn Giant Steps

In all twelve keys, too.
make sure you look at the audition requirements for all the schools you want to go to. Most will tell you exactly what they are looking for. make sure you know what you want because you arent going to learn rock and metal at a music college.
Quote by Captain Garry
make sure you look at the audition requirements for all the schools you want to go to. Most will tell you exactly what they are looking for. make sure you know what you want because you arent going to learn rock and metal at a music college.

So many people just don't realize this.

I would go to auditions with all my jazz stuff prepared and there would be these kids that had no ****ing clue what they were gonna play. They would be thinking they'd do some rock song, and have never looked at a piece of sheet music in their life.

It was almost offensive their lack of preparation, when I'd spent months getting stuff together.
make your own song, no doubt... try to demonstrate everything you would be looking for if you were watching someone else audition for your school.
Quote by madshatter
make your own song, no doubt... try to demonstrate everything you would be looking for if you were watching someone else audition for your school.

once again, you want to demonstrate what the school asks for first.

Then demonstrate extra things.

And if someone came in and was like "I wrote this song!" and they weren't planning on being a Composition major, and the song wasn't freaking amazing, I'd probably just fail them for seeming like some wanna-be teenager.

Unless the song has tremendous virtuosity, and is deserving of a freakin' opus number, I wouldn't do an original, cause, once again, they don't have a note-for-note copy of it, and can't tell if you're bull****ting them.

Seriously, I don't know what kind of music schools some of you are thinking of with your suggestions.