a mid-gain tube head, british-voiced in the veign of the Rocker 30.

I'll explain a bit more. I may (or may not) be coming in a bit of money soon. Assuming I do, I'd like to upgrade my amp. My other guitarist plays a Rocker 30 through an Avatar 212 and I've fallen in love with the tone.

Thing is, I don't want the exact same amp, so I'm looking for something that is similar. The Rocker 30 would be about the top of my budget, so around $1,300.

As for head vs combo: I'd prefer a head for transportation reasons. I take the train around alot, and as a band we have to move things in small cars so the more space I can save the better and often times there is a cab around wherever we're playing that i can use.

I've looked into some Laney's and Traynor's but the mid-gain amps I'd be interested in only seem to come in combo form.

Halp!
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
there's always marshall. and vox makes a head.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
there's always marshall. and vox makes a head.

Any specific Marhsall?

I've seen the AC30 head from Vox, didn't know if it was any good however.
meh, a marashall's a marshall. they all sound about the same, each has its little nuances though. the jcm800 is a classic, the jcm 900 comes in a few versions, both are basically a jcm800 with a little more gain. the slx version is a little sharper as it used a diode for some of the extra gain, then the regular jcm900 is smoother since it used a tube.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
maby a used mesa boogie Stiletto if you can find one
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Quote by SRV59
or a used peavy 5150 2

Quote by SRV59
or a peavy 6505

mid gain head?
not at all, i dont think this is what he's looking for.
I'd probably say a marshall jcm sounds like a decent choice, i don't know a whole lot about mid gain british voiced amps though.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Yeah no 5150's :-p

Orange AD-30HTC perhaps?

Absolutley love the amp, but that's what my other guitarist is running so I'm looking for something a bit different.

I did some more research last night and checked out some sound clips and I found 4 amps I like.

In order:
Laney GH50L: Amp seems to have a TON of range. I heard clips of it doing the intro to hey Joe perfectly, doing classic rock and doing some heavier stuff that borded on metal. I dislike only having a single channel, but using the gain boost as a seperate channel + a volume pedal should give me the ability to have a "clean" channel when i want it.

Marshall DSL 50: Seems like most versitile of the JCM's. I love love love the 800 but it's a one-trick pony, and the 900 seems a bit to high-gain for me.

Traynor Traynor YCS 100 (don't want or need 100W but the though of have three different channel EQ's is very tempting)

Vox AC30CC: I love the AC30 tone, but it does seem kind of like a one trick pony and more "low gain" then "mid gain." I don't play metal, but on occasion I do like to bust out some heavier hardcore stuff and I dont' see this amp doing it.
Last edited by gald at Jun 11, 2008,
The Orange AD-30 mentioned up there is actually not the same as the Rocker, so still check that out
I'd take a JCM900 over the DSL series to be honest. The DSLs are aimed at higher gain that what you're looking for I reckon. The Traynor looks ideal for you and so does the Laney, but bear in mind that if the Laney's one channel puts you off, there's always the Laney VH series (basically the same as the GH but with two channels).
I agree the AC30 may not be ideal for what you're looking to achieve. It does do a mean mid-gain sound, but I definately don'tt think it could cover hardcore of any style....
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by cmakkidguitar
The Orange AD-30 mentioned up there is actually not the same as the Rocker, so still check that out

Yeah I misread that in my pre-coffee morning haze. At $1,500 it's pricey though :<

I'd take a JCM900 over the DSL series to be honest. The DSLs are aimed at higher gain that what you're looking for I reckon.

Really? Maybe I haven't heard the right demos/clips of the 900 then. I'll definatley check some more out. From what i've watched and heard the DSL seemed alot more versitile then the 900.

The Traynor looks ideal for you and so does the Laney, but bear in mind that if the Laney's one channel puts you off, there's always the Laney VH series (basically the same as the GH but with two channels).

I'm assuming you mean this Laney? Oof @ $1,600 :<

The single channel isn't that bad. I mean the music I write and play rarley calls for me to change channels, I just like having the option y'know?

I agree the AC30 may not be ideal for what you're looking to achieve. It does do a mean mid-gain sound, but I definately don'tt think it could cover hardcore of any style....

I plan on owning an AC30 for sure some day, right now just might not be the right time.
When I suggested that Laney and Orange, I was thinking in terms of used...

I can understand if your against buying used, but it really will get you better deals
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
I say vox
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by gald
I've seen the AC30 head from Vox, didn't know if it was any good however.

It's very good. I was in the market for one when a CC1 combo fell in my lap, cheap. With your budget, you could afford the upgraded hand-wired version, which might be really, really nice.

Otherwise, you could look at the Laney Lionheart L20, Genz Benz Black Pearl, or save a bundle and go for a Peavey Classic 30 head.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by cmakkidguitar
When I suggested that Laney and Orange, I was thinking in terms of used...

I can understand if your against buying used, but it really will get you better deals

I'm not against buying used at all, just kind of... forgot that prices would be lower or something I guess heh.

It's very good. I was in the market for one when a CC1 combo fell in my lap, cheap. With your budget, you could afford the upgraded hand-wired version, which might be really, really nice.

The handwired one is the HH? I'll check it out for sure.

Otherwise, you could look at the Laney Lionheart L20, Genz Benz Black Pearl, or save a bundle and go for a Peavey Classic 30 head.

I like that Genz Benz alot, definatley going to look for some sound clips when I get home.

The saw that Lionheart too but was slightly concerned about cleans at gig-levels. Though I don't use them much at all (I was actually looking at the Orange TT for a bit) currently I'd like to have the option for the future. Never know how my tastes and song-writing style will change.

Looking back I kind of wish I had gone with the Classic 30/50 over my VK when I bought it, but for the price the VK couldn't be beat, and I bought it with the full intention of upgrading in a year or so. Just so happens I may have the money sooner then I though :>

I'm in no rush right now though, so I have tons of times to find amps to listen to and try out before I commit to one.
I agree with Genz Benz Black Pearl. I also recommend Dr Z. Maz 18.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12