So I was thinking about building a violin guitar, sort of like Paul McCartney's Hofner 500/1 bass, but as a guitar, and with some new and up-to-date features.

As far as technical specs go, I'm thinking about a Gibson-esque 24 3/4" scale length neck, but with 24 frets and 12" fingerboard radius... Not knowing too terribly much about guitar necks/fingerboards, could anybody tell me if this is ideal for a fast fingerboard, easy chords (open and closed), reasonable string tension, and good vibrato/bending?

I own a Flying V with a Gibson '50s-'60s hybrid neck profile, and I've got to say, it's one of the best necks I've ever played on... I'd like very much to have the same feel, but with 2 extra frets.

Another odd feature I'm thinking of doing is an angled headstock, because I've heard Fender-style headstocks are a mess... But I need somebody to tell me just how practical it is, and what the pros and cons are compared to flat headstocks.

It's probably going to end up being a set-neck, but I'm open to other possibilities, if you guys can convince me to use a bolt-on or neck-through instead.

I also like the rosewood neck/mahogany body combination (I'm a classic Gibson man), but are there any other combinations that sound exceptionally good?

At the moment, I'm not too fussed about what kind of pickups/electronics/cosmetics I want for the guitar, but I'm thinking about putting some Burstbuckers or some other pickup that sounds sweet and creamy. As far as finish goes, I'm thinking about either doing a regular sunburst or a purple and black sunburst or a blue and white sunburst.

Images to look at for ideas and stuff...

http://www.gibson.com/Files/productImages/usa/thumbs_and_details/_Guitars/Les%20Paul%20Series/Goddess/body.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p312/JERMDADDY/les%20pauls%20gts/lpgoddessblu003.jpg
http://www.thebeatalls.com/Instruments/Instruments%202/Hofner02%20scratch%20plate%20-%20comp.jpg
http://en.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/HOFNER+HCT500+1.JPG
http://www.dijkmanmuziek.nl/catalog/images/h500-2_hofner.jpg

Appreciate all your help in advance.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Well, if I understand you correctly, the first question that comes to mind is: Do you plan on carving out the body yourself? Because cello and bass bodies would be too large to play and viola and violin too small.

P.S. Are you clinically bi-polar, or OH LOL I FEEL SAD SOMETIMES AND THEN I'M HAPPY I MUST HAVE A HORRIBLE LIFE ALTERING AFFLICTION I KNOW NOTING ABOUT?
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Last edited by NorfIrIon at Jun 10, 2008,
Yeah, I do. I can get access to a bandsaw, and I'm pretty sure I can find a router somewhere. It'd also help to go look at those pictures as a reference point to the size.

And yes, I am clinically bipolar, although why you feel the need to poke fun at people with mental/emotional instability issues is beyond me.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by MusicalMinority
Yeah, I do. I can get access to a bandsaw, and I'm pretty sure I can find a router somewhere. It'd also help to go look at those pictures as a reference point to the size.

And yes, I am clinically bipolar, although why you feel the need to poke fun at people with mental/emotional instability issues is beyond me.

I wasn't.. I was "poking fun" at the idiots who pretend they do as an excuse to be "RANDOM LOLOL".
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Alright then.

But getting back on topic, any suggestions for any of the questions I posed in the first post?

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Well, the main question you'd have to ask yourself is if you're going to make it a hollowbody or not. Paul's bass (as well as most basses in that style), and the Hofner Club series are actually hollowbody instruments, typically with spruce tops and flame maple back and sides.

If you're going for a hollowbody, you'd best have a luthier build it for you, unless you're confident in your ability to construct (essentially) an acoustic guitar body.

If you're going for a solidbody in that same shape, well, you'd best understand that'll be pretty damn heavy. If you don't mind that, then there's little issue. You may want to chamber it or something, though.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Hmmm... Interesting, I'm thinking of building one myself too

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665734&page=1&pp=20&highlight=violin

It has been done before.

I kind of planned one myself as well

Quote by p.stick
Hi, here's my plan. Hope you like it (BTW, all done using MS paint. I suck)

So, yeah.

Violin style body with single cutaway
Solid carved mohagany stained with flamed maple back and side
Walnut single binding around the body
Dials recessed into the body
Wirings done under the pickups and through the input jack??? possibly? Like LP Supreme?

Set neck construction.

Flamed maple neck with rosewood fretboard
22 jumbo frets
Les paul supreme style inlay mother of pearl/abalone combination
Headstock as shown below. Flamed, matching body colour
self-locking tuners

Bridge style as shown below

HH combo pickups
neck: SD jazz
bridge: SD 59
Both with bronze cover

bronze dials
and cream pickup selector
All LP style
position as shown in pic.

Please ignore the headstock of the violin. It is not easily altered in MS paint.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by MusicalMinority
So I was thinking about building a violin guitar, sort of like Paul McCartney's Hofner 500/1 bass, but as a guitar, and with some new and up-to-date features.

As far as technical specs go, I'm thinking about a Gibson-esque 24 3/4" scale length neck, but with 24 frets and 12" fingerboard radius... Not knowing too terribly much about guitar necks/fingerboards, could anybody tell me if this is ideal for a fast fingerboard, easy chords (open and closed), reasonable string tension, and good vibrato/bending?

I own a Flying V with a Gibson '50s-'60s hybrid neck profile, and I've got to say, it's one of the best necks I've ever played on... I'd like very much to have the same feel, but with 2 extra frets.

Another odd feature I'm thinking of doing is an angled headstock, because I've heard Fender-style headstocks are a mess... But I need somebody to tell me just how practical it is, and what the pros and cons are compared to flat headstocks.

It's probably going to end up being a set-neck, but I'm open to other possibilities, if you guys can convince me to use a bolt-on or neck-through instead.

I also like the rosewood neck/mahogany body combination (I'm a classic Gibson man), but are there any other combinations that sound exceptionally good?

At the moment, I'm not too fussed about what kind of pickups/electronics/cosmetics I want for the guitar, but I'm thinking about putting some Burstbuckers or some other pickup that sounds sweet and creamy. As far as finish goes, I'm thinking about either doing a regular sunburst or a purple and black sunburst or a blue and white sunburst.

Images to look at for ideas and stuff...

http://www.gibson.com/Files/productImages/usa/thumbs_and_details/_Guitars/Les%20Paul%20Series/Goddess/body.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p312/JERMDADDY/les%20pauls%20gts/lpgoddessblu003.jpg
http://www.thebeatalls.com/Instruments/Instruments%202/Hofner02%20scratch%20plate%20-%20comp.jpg
http://en.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/HOFNER+HCT500+1.JPG
http://www.dijkmanmuziek.nl/catalog/images/h500-2_hofner.jpg

Appreciate all your help in advance.

You have heard wrong, my man. Where did you hear that they are "a mess"?

Straight headstocks like the fenders are considerably stronger than an angled headstock like on a gibson. A straight headstock design allows the string tension to be pulled in a straight line. On an angled headstock, the string tension is actaully pulling up on the headstock.

A day doesnt go buy that I dont see a thread about someones Les Pauls headstock breaking. Just yesterday there were 2 of them on this forum alone. You hardly ever see a broken fender headstock anywhere.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
I'm fairly certain I want a solid body. I don't mind heaviness, because usually, I can get massive tone/sustain with those kinds of heavy bodies, like the Les Paul. If it gets to be excessively heavy after I'm done routing/drilling, I'll just route a cavity.

That said, I haven't the slightest inkling as to how to route a body correctly. I know that room has to be allotted for the pickups, the control cavity, and the little pathway between them, but I'm not too sure about how to route the control cavity...

Do I actually drill a hole through the entire guitar? And if not, what do I need a backplate for? I'm probably going to end up routing it like a Les Paul, but I have no idea whatsoever how they're routed... Pictures and diagrams would help out a lot.

EDIT: Well, I don't know exactly where I heard the bit about Fender headstocks, but I really don't like the headstock design/tuning peg placement. Might it be possible to have more of a Gibson-type headstock with 3 and 3, but flat?

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Last edited by MusicalMinority at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by MusicalMinority
I'm fairly certain I want a solid body. I don't mind heaviness, because usually, I can get massive tone/sustain with those kinds of heavy bodies, like the Les Paul. If it gets to be excessively heavy after I'm done routing/drilling, I'll just route a cavity.

That said, I haven't the slightest inkling as to how to route a body correctly. I know that room has to be allotted for the pickups, the control cavity, and the little pathway between them, but I'm not too sure about how to route the control cavity...

Do I actually drill a hole through the entire guitar? And if not, what do I need a backplate for? I'm probably going to end up routing it like a Les Paul, but I have no idea whatsoever how they're routed... Pictures and diagrams would help out a lot.

EDIT: Well, I don't know exactly where I heard the bit about Fender headstocks, but I really don't like the headstock design/tuning peg placement. Might it be possible to have more of a Gibson-type headstock with 3 and 3, but flat?

The Fender style headstock refers to it being "flat", rather than angled. It has nothing to do with the shape of the headstock. You could very easily make a flat 3x3 gibson headstock.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
Oh, okay. Will I have to use string trees then, because of the flatness?

Thanks for all the help, and sorry for my n00bness at guitar construction...

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
*bump*
Okay, I got my guitar building research done, and here're the most recent details.

It's going to be a 24 3/4" scale length, with 24 frets, 12" fingerboard radius, slim-tapered-esque neck, set neck, angled headstock, tune-o-matic bridge.

I decided to put some real f-holes in it, so I'm going to have two layers on the body. It's going to make it incredibly heavy, but it'll be worth it for the classy look and the (hopefully) ridiculously long sustain.

Instead of doing a standard sunburst, I'm going to pull a Gibson Les Paul Goddess and do a sunburst in purple and black or blue and white. Think old-school classy psychedelic modern.

I've also got the rough routing plans figured out, and all I need to do is find a huge sheet of grid paper to draw a bunch of templates onto to start the project.

Thanks to all of you who helped me out.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Hello, Here's mine..I did the scroll on the headstock. It's not done yet. Got involved with other builds.