Please suggest your favorite tube bedroom practice amps but they have to be loud enough to be played in a band, lets say another guitarist, drummer and bassist. I play Thrash metal and like tones of these bands:

Metallica
Megadeth
Testament
Iced Earth.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Ibanez Valbee?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
The three i use work out just fine......

Also Peavey 5150, XXX, JSX, Ultra Plus, Valveking, Windsor, Crate Blue voodoo if your like Megadeth and Randall SS amps are nice for quick bedroom jams and can handle giggin with ease....
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jun 10, 2008,
mmm maybe a fender amp? i gto a 200 watt deluxe reverb fender nd it does the trick for me.
Quote by breakstuff
Please suggest your favorite tube bedroom practice amps but they have to be loud enough to be played in a band, lets say another guitarist, drummer and bassist. I play Thrash metal and like tones of these bands:

Metallica
Megadeth
Testament
Iced Earth.

Those words don't mix.

Get yourself a nice valve amp to play with a band, and then buy a cheaper solid state combo or something like a POD to practice with.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I said bedroom practice and just loud enough to jam with my band.

I will check out the Ibanez Valbee.

Quote by breakstuff
I said bedroom practice and just loud enough to jam with my band.

I will check out the Ibanez Valbee.

And I said those words don't mix.

I had an Epi Valve Jr combo, by the time you got it loud enough for it to sound anything like a good amp then it was FAR too loud to be considered a bedroom amp. My 50 watt Laney also sounds like crap at anything lower than band practice levels.

Bottom line is, you'll get a better sound with SS or modelling at bedroom levels. Unless your idea of bedroom levels is "If it's in my bedroom I can play as loud as I want" and you have no consideration for anyone other than yourself.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
And I said those words don't mix.

I had an Epi Valve Jr combo, by the time you got it loud enough for it to sound anything like a good amp then it was FAR too loud to be considered a bedroom amp. My 50 watt Laney also sounds like crap at anything lower than band practice levels.

Bottom line is, you'll get a better sound with SS or modelling at bedroom levels. Unless your idea of bedroom levels is "If it's in my bedroom I can play as loud as I want" and you have no consideration for anyone other than yourself.

Eh, I don't think it's really accurate to say that "tube" and "bedroom practice amp" don't mix. Even at reasonable bedroom volumes, I still prefer the sound of tube. And while the volume on an amp capable of "jamming" with a band would have to be pretty low in a bedroom situation, an overdrive pedal can help remedy the situation significantly (although, of course it can never really replace cranking the amp).

Then again, though, I'm not looking for metal tone, so just my two cents.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
haha i love my weber attenuator, its great...

you have any kind of price range?
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
You could always buy a good solid gigging amp and a Blackheart Killer Ant for bedroom use. You won't get both worlds in one tube amp
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
haha i love my weber attenuator, its great...

you have any kind of price range?

Well I don't want something that is too high end, but something right in the middle, good overall amp.

Last edited by breakstuff at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by breakstuff
Well I don't want something that is toohigh end, but something right in the middle, good overall amp.

Already stated some middle of the road options..

Peavey 5150, XXX, JSX, Ultra Plus, Valveking, Windsor, Crate Blue voodoo if your like Megadeth and Randall SS amps. All are decent at low volumes..
Quote by FourSticks17
Eh, I don't think it's really accurate to say that "tube" and "bedroom practice amp" don't mix. Even at reasonable bedroom volumes, I still prefer the sound of tube. And while the volume on an amp capable of "jamming" with a band would have to be pretty low in a bedroom situation, an overdrive pedal can help remedy the situation significantly (although, of course it can never really replace cranking the amp).

Then again, though, I'm not looking for metal tone, so just my two cents.

I'm not looking for metal tone either, but I still think that valve amps sound sub-par at low volumes. Even with an OD.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
I'm not looking for metal tone either, but I still think that valve amps sound sub-par at low volumes. Even with an OD.

To each his own, I guess. I still think tube amps sound good at low volumes---they just sound even better when cranked.

This brings up a good point though---people have very different opinions about what sounds good. The TS should definitely make sure to try out the amps that people are suggesting before he actually makes a purchase.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Damn i cant crank up a tube amp so i wont spend all my money just to get a slight better tone which i get from SS....
i'd just get a high gain tube amp which sounds good turned down. problem is those are expensive, so if you can't stretch to those, go with what timi says.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Voodoo amps witchdoctor 10watt single ended combo. I believe it's the only all tube high gain amp of that wattage on the market. The single power tube can be of your choice: 6V6, 6L6, El34, KT77, KT88, etc. They have a 12" celestion vintage 30 seaker and are the size of a Fender Blues Junior. Equipped with Mercury Magnetic transformers, you can reach stage volume for a small club. Another possibility may be doing various master volume mods to your existing tube amp to get killer tones at a bedroom level volume. There are reviews of these out there, I encourage you to check them out.
A Valve Junior Combo and a Weber MiniMass Attenuator is a great solution and not much $$$$ All the sound of GLORIOUS CRANKED UP TUBES at bedroom volumes - what's NOT to like?
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by damnedone
I can't believe no one has mentioned Orange Tiny Terror.

15 watts and about as metal as a cabbage at low volumes.

My Music
Quote by strangedogs
A Valve Junior Combo and a Weber MiniMass Attenuator is a great solution and not much $$$$ All the sound of GLORIOUS CRANKED UP TUBES at bedroom volumes - what's NOT to like?

the fact it won't sound remotely metal? o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?