I was just wondering,

obviously, when the explorer was released in "58 it wasnt a huge success, fast forward 50 years and its considered a classic...

the same for the Les Paul, nobody expected it to become the standard issue rock guitar, it nearly died out in the 60's...

i was thinking, do you think any guitars that are in circulation, say the ibanez rg seris or any ESP's will be seen as classics and highly sought after in say 50 years?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom Horn

i was thinking, do you think any guitars that are in circulation, say the ibanez rg seris or any ESP's will be seen as classics and highly sought after in say 50 years?

Hello Kitty Strat.

Nuff said.
dean razorback dimebag

its because people are gonna be saying.. hmm thats a nice guitar isnt that what that legend dimebag used to play on?
^ sorry but in my opinion,

and i'm a huge pantera fan

i dont think that it will be,

if Dime hadnt died we probably wouldnt be so obsessed with his guitars, besides, the best ones he used were Washburns...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Jackson RRs, if they arent already considered classics.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
I don't think any modern guitars are gonna be worth any where near as much as a 59' Les Paul is today for example.....
It's different now because those guitars defined the field, whereas the guitars of today aren't nearly as revolutionary or influential. Therefore they will likely not be as prestigious.
The Ibanez RG's will do, definitely, although it will be a nightmare trying to keep track of them and their worth due to the amount of different models there are!

PRS Custom 22 and 24 too, as stated.

There's really not been any new "standard" models though, has there?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I think PRS models will be future classics. They're the only company which has been able to really compete with the big 2 at the higher and lower end of the price spectrum. Introducing the SE line ensures that the teens of today will crave a higher end version when they are professionals tomorrow.
Ibanez's most popular lines as there are so many new ones being pumped out all the time (RG, S, etc).

PRS definately (if they aren't already considered "classics")
RG's and PRS' for sure. Well, they've already been out there for over 20 years, so they'll definitely become classics.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Honestly, I don't think any modern guitars will be considered classics in the future. The reason being they aren't being used in an iconic fashion by current artists. 50 years from now everyone will still pine for a '59 strat.
It'll still be Gibson's and Fender's worth any kind of money and some occaisonal
odds & ends.

When the world runs out of trees, your RG/Dean/PRS ... will become "classics"
because wood will be a novelty. Until then, I wouldn't hold your breath that one
out of a billion mass-produced guitars you happen to own will be worth something.
^Yeah, that's the point. For example, I think that RG's and PRS' will become classics, but at the same time, the old classics will become even more cherished, so we'll be more or less in the same situation as nowadays. If it was to that point, I don't think any other guitar will reach the status of the Strat, Tele, LP, SG...
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
I would have to say Ibanez Jem's, there just that beautiful, but alittle overpriced.
it will always be these big two as the classics
gibson lp
fender strat
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
I went to a guitar show a few months ago -- basically traders selling used guitars.

If the guitar wasn't a Gibson, it was a Fender. EVERYWHERE. Why? Because
a seller can take some mass-produced, LP Custom from 90s that's in decent shape,
slap a "Vintage" sticker on it and still get some shmuck to pay $3000 for it -- same
as what it would cost the idiot to buy a new one.

Gibson & Fender and going to be cranking em out for a long time to come. There's
no headspace room for anyone else.
Quote by edg
I went to a guitar show a few months ago -- basically traders selling used guitars.

If the guitar wasn't a Gibson, it was a Fender. EVERYWHERE. Why? Because
a seller can take some mass-produced, LP Custom from 90s that's in decent shape,
slap a "Vintage" sticker on it and still get some shmuck to pay $3000 for it -- same
as what it would cost the idiot to buy a new one.

Gibson & Fender and going to be cranking em out for a long time to come. There's
no headspace room for anyone else.

Why, my friend, do you have a guitar hanger on your fence outside? Haha. I suppose that might come in handy, providing you don't forget to take it in.
I have this theory:

No matter how cool a new guitar shape is, it will never reach the popularity of:

Fender Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul
i think the rg might become famous because alot of people use them because they are good guitars! but if you think about it an rg is based off the shape. take a fender HH and put emg's in it and you have the same tone! most guitars are based off a gibson or fender model nowadays. besides the ml and the warlock. and some weird shpaes by minarik!
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Paul Reed Smith guitars...

They're exotic, Nice Sounding and simple... They'll be around for quite a while.
As long as brands like Schecter, ESP and Ibanez stop making guitars that are focused on fashion, they'll be around for a while...

Schecter also has a cool background to it!

Typically, any guitar that doesn't have a "theme" to it.

BC Rich or Dean? Not a chance... Too "Metal."
I think the razorback will become a classic (though not nearly as popular as gibson and fender)

I think maybe the VMNT has potential if Megadeth continues on its way to number 1, and the way metallica has been lately i think they will.
Not to mention how popular his v is already, and it looks amazing.
Quote by Oxendoobie
I think the razorback will become a classic (though not nearly as popular as gibson and fender)

I think maybe the VMNT has potential if Megadeth continues on its way to number 1, and the way metallica has been lately i think they will.
Not to mention how popular his v is already, and it looks amazing.

The razorback will be around for as long as teenagers think they look cool.
Quote by roshjosh
The razorback will be around for as long as teenagers think they look cool.

Doesn't make it a classic though.