Ok, in august last year I bought my first electric guitar, Ibanez RG321, and I've enjoyed it a lot. However, I also have this old "Levin Classic 10" acoustic from like the 80's or 90's. It has got some old strings and some cracks in its body and is generally not healthy since it hasn't been used for some years. Since I bought myself an electric I obviously got interested in the acoustic as well and want to be ale to enjoy the acoustic world.

So my question is, do you think it's better to by a new acoustic (around 300 euro), or is there a way to fix cracks and stuff like that on my Levin Classic 10? I've read a little in the "300 dollar" guitar thread but since I live in Sweden those prices doesn't really fit here in europe. I'll most probably order from http://guitare.playback-europe.com/ since I get free shipment if I make an order over 300 euro.

So if any kind sould could take some time and browse that website and find a good acoustic guitar for ~300 euro (could be less and add something else like a gig-bag or something).

OR!! maybe this "Levin Classic 10" is a really good guitar and if I buy this "cheap" guitar I will be dissapointed when i get it? I really have no idea how much my current guitar cost when my dad bought it so either it's just a regular guitar or maybe it's an expensive? Would be glad if someone could give me some info about this.

thanks in advance

PS: could try and get some pictures of the guitar if necessary.

edit: POST EDITED FURTHER DOWN.
Last edited by xaedon at Jun 11, 2008,
you could try an ovation electric-acoustic, you can get them for price around yours
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
http://guitare.playback-europe.com/ovation-cc24_celebrity_natural-6751.html

Can't go wrong with Ovation, it's what I use and the only acoustics I've heard that sound better were $2,000+
I know nothing about the one you have, so I can't honestly say whether or not it would be any better.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
dr-500m or aj-500m .. they are quality instruments that are solid wood with bone and nut saddle and are amazing for the price of 450.00 american
ok, thanks for the asnwers, about a acoustic/electric. Is it a regular acoustic guitar but with the ability to connect to an amp?

keep the answers coming
Actually, you can go wrong with an ovation. Cheap ovations that are made in asia have been known to break or have serious problems.

In one case the bridge of a 12 string ovation cracked in half and flew off in the middle of the night. The other cases i've heard about more commonly are that the neck of the guitar needed to be replaced multiple times.

In my opinion, ovations only sound good plugged in. My Art & Lutherie sounds much better than Ovations around twice the price of it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Yes, an acoustic/electric can play unplugged like a regular acoustic or may be plugged into an amplifier.
Quote by Free Time
Ovations are the nicest guitars I never want to own

is that positive?
Generally, it's much more fun to play a guitar that does not look and sound like it's about to die - if I were you, I'd let the Levin rest in peace and purchase a new one.

There seem to be a lot of recommendations for Ovations coming from the electric players. However, they have a very unique tone that you need to hear before you decide if you want to order one or not. People either love it or hate it. Personally, I prefer the woody tone of an... *ahem* wooden guitar. Many acoustic players find Ovations very artificial sounding, which (in addition to its thinner body) is perhaps why it appeals so much to electric players.

I took a look at the site you plan on ordering from, and the Yamaha FG730S, and the Epiphone Dove and Hummingbird all come in at under 300 euros. At a little over 300 euros, there are plenty of nice Art & Lutherie guitars and the Seagull S6, and at around 350-360 euros you could consider the Takamine G360S. Unfortunately, I've only ever played one Cort guitar, and it wasn't any of the models on that site, so I can't say anything about them. Maybe someone else can chime in.

The Ibanez and Martin guitars do not come highly recommended at this price range.
Quote by NorfIrIon
http://guitare.playback-europe.com/ovation-cc24_celebrity_natural-6751.html

Can't go wrong with Ovation, it's what I use and the only acoustics I've heard that sound better were $2,000+
I know nothing about the one you have, so I can't honestly say whether or not it would be any better.

what? whatever its your ears not mine.

dr-500m or aj-500m .. they are quality instruments that are solid wood with bone and nut saddle and are amazing for the price of 450.00 american.

+1
IMO the best guitar your ganna get for your money whether you have 500, 400, 700, or 800$.
ok, thanks for that serious answer. You really got a point about my old and torn guitar. I'm always scared of breaking the guitar everytime I play it because of its health.

I'll definately look into those guitars and Im still up for suggestions.

edit:
I just realised I won't buy the guitar before august so my budget will be able to raise to ~400 euro. But as I looked at all those guitars at different sites I got a little confused. I've read a lot here about how "important" it is to buy a solid built guitar. And as I search for guitars in the 400 euro price range, I find a lot of guitars that are not solid. I also find guitars at much lower prices that are solid.

Another question is, what is the most important part of the guitar to be solid? I've found lots of guitars with solid tops, solid bodies etc but laminated sides. Do i really need to look for a fully solid built guitar?

And as I've raised my budget a little, maybe you can give me some advice on what to buy around 400 euro because I really have no idea wat is good and what is bad. As I live in sweden we have these ****ty guitar stores (only the cheapest, and the most expensive) I can't try out like any of the guitars you've already told me about so that's why Im in need of all this help.

I've also found another good site so please link me to one of these sites:

http://www.thomann.de/gb

http://guitare.playback-europe.com/

thanks in advance.
Last edited by xaedon at Jun 11, 2008,
I've used thomann.de. A really good site, can recommend it. Can't help with the guitar though, but Im sure lots of people are more than willing to help you out here on UG.

gl on buying the guitar
You generally want a Solid Top first and foremost. this is because the strings transfer their energy directly to the top first before resonating through the rest of the guitar.

it's quite important that you buy at LEAST a solid top. if you can get more than that then go for it.
Equipment:

Washburn have really nice steel-stringed acoustics for good prices. My friend bought one for 220€ and it feels surprisingly smooth and comfortable.

Thomann.de is a great site to order from, their customer service is good also.
I have an Ovation Celebrity I like it... its pretty much as loud as a regular acoustic unplugged. Also, Yamaha guitars can be pretty cheap...
well the reason some solids may be cheaper like lets say a Epiphone masterbilt compared to a martin DX series is simply because of the name.
I wouldnt touch a X series with a ten foot poll but there more expensive because of the martin name, even yough the epiphone is the bettor guitar, kinda stupid the way things work but im not complaining.
sorry if this is confusing. After I made some research on some other sites and stuff I found this one:
http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/EUR/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=?SKU=GIT0012675-000&ProductUUID=0&JumpTo=OfferList

I know it's 555 euro and I said around 400 but I realised if I want a quite good guitar Im going to have to pay a little more so Im willing to pay ~500 euros now. That one includes a case, which I would have bought anyway.

Any comments on that guitar? good? bad? I almost thought it was too good to be true when i found it. Solid top, solid back and sides, scalloped frets and also vey good looking imo. Anything negative about it? known issues?
Never played one but i havent heard one owner complain about them. seems like a very good guitar on papper to bad you cant play it but id say its worth a shot.
and yes it might be to good to be true but its true its a genuine all solidwood guitar the reason its hella cheap is because its made in china but that shouldn be a reason for not buying it
Quote by xaedon

Any comments on that guitar? good? bad? I almost thought it was too good to be true when i found it. Solid top, solid back and sides, scalloped frets and also vey good looking imo. Anything negative about it? known issues?
Guilds seem to be well-regarded, though I haven't played one myself. I've heard very good things about them.
Guild's are GREAT guitars in your price range. I highly recommend it. If i was in the $500-$800 range(like you are) i would either pick up a Guild GAD or a 15 Series Martin. There's no question how good they are, but you just need to find out if it suits you.
Equipment:

Yeah, those guilds are generally pretty quality.

And to clear up one thing, it has scalloped bracing not scalloped frets.
Very Important Distinction.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by xaedon
sorry if this is confusing. After I made some research on some other sites and stuff I found this one:
http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/EUR/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=?SKU=GIT0012675-000&ProductUUID=0&JumpTo=OfferList

I know it's 555 euro and I said around 400 but I realised if I want a quite good guitar Im going to have to pay a little more so Im willing to pay ~500 euros now. That one includes a case, which I would have bought anyway.

Wonderful guitar. Been looking to buy one funds permitting to use as a backup to my other Guild.
Quote by slidething31
Yeah, those guilds are generally pretty quality.

And to clear up one thing, it has scalloped bracing not scalloped frets.
Very Important Distinction.

What is scalloped bracings then? Im still in the learning process about guitars so any help is appreciated.
Bracing in a guitar is usually a fairly straight piece of wood that is glued to the top of the guitar. Scalloped bracing is when they cut out some of the wood in a curvy pattern at specific areas so that the bracing restricts the top from vibrating less.

http://mguitar.com/guitars/features/bracing/index.html

that's the martin website and some examples of scalloped and non-scalloped bracing. Scalloped bracing is usually a good thing because it makes the response of the guitar better.
Equipment: