Which one is generally more useful? I love Tom Morello* and his solos are amazing to my ears, and I'm pretty sure he has a killswitch/killbutton type thing. And buckethead has one and I love the way they sound, so can anyone help me out here?
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Switch
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
...they're the same thing you know? It's just called a killswitch although it's pretty often (usually, I think) a button.

Edit: ...or I am wrong and missing something here. Anyone care to explain what?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Buttons are easier to use off the cuff, but you want to do morello-esque solos, get the switch.
id prefer the toggle but i spose the button is more practical
Ibanez RG1570
Randall RG75G3
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by Fama
...they're the same thing you know? It's just called a killswitch although it's pretty often (usually, I think) a button.

Edit: ...or I am wrong and missing something here. Anyone care to explain what?

You can get a momentary button that has a kind of mechanical timer in it so you can hit it, silence for x seconds, and then no silence. Kinda clever really.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Ok, now to find someone who can do it for me. What all is need to add one onto my guitar? I have a 3 way toggle for 2 humbuckers.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

I dunno, I like both. But all of Morello's solo's with those things are done with a toggle, with one pickup turned off, which acts as a killswitch, instead of an actual killswitch thing itself.

I hope that made sense, I'm very tired.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by Pinky19
Ok, now to find someone who can do it for me. What all is need to add one onto my guitar? I have a 3 way toggle for 2 humbuckers.

You don't need to buy one then!!

Just turn the volume for one pickup down so it's turned off, and have the other pickup at full volume, and use your toggle to switch between on and off pickups for the same effect. There you go, time and money saved.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
I only have one volume and one tone.

Why not just use both? The button for the "Jordan" type thing and the switch for the Morello thing?
I got some good guitars, yo.
I would think the button is more durable, and the switch will wear out quicker. But i'd think there would be more control with the switch, thats what i do with my epi g400 use it like a killswitch.
Button's more durable, and plus with that you can use both your p-ups at the same time.

I don't go crazy with mine though, although I'm doing a cover of Soul On Fire and change it up in the bridge...
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
i have a G-400 and can do it alone w/ the selector switch. but i added a button killswitch in the bridge tone pot area so i have a second option, b/c i like to use both pups equally as much. and i don't want to have to keep switching the volume up and down everytime i want to killswitch. but when i'm doing Rage stuff i ALWAYS do it ala the switch, b/c that's how Tom did it and that's what sounds more accurate for his stuff. try doing Rage stuff w/ a button...it's not the same and actually seems harder.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I use a button, as it's easier to go a lot faster. That, and it's easier to do it on the fly. It's up to preference though.
::Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
::Fender MIM HSS Strat w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb and killbutton
::Digitech Whammy, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX MicroSynth, Kaoss Pad 3,
Boss GE-7, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Digidelay, MXR EVH Phase 90, FoxxTone FuzzWahVolume
I was told buy the guy there he can take out the tone knob and add in a killswitch, and that since he would be taking out the capacitors(or something like that) they would actually be a lil bit hotter than normal and I would get all the tone from the pickups. If there is a problem with this, tell me cuz Im getting it done today.

Any help on whether or not I should eliminate the tone knob? Or would that be a bad idea?

I prefer button and to add to that a soft touch momentary button like buckethead use's on his white les paul.. Switches break and arent fast enough for me because i like to do triple and quadruple taps at times...
Could I still get the rythm from Morello's work> Or wold I need a switch? I think I could get either one on my guitar.

Morello has 2 ways to do it.

With the individual volume controls he turns one pickup all the way and goes from the middle position, which is off, then up or down, depending on the pickup that he has turned down.

He also has a guitar that has a switch that is setup bridge/off/neck, and it produces a slightly different sound. He's gotten the helicopter effect he does that way.
I know how he does it -_- But can I do it with a button? Or should I just get the switch? I've been told that the button is weaker than a switch though =(

Quote by Pinky19
I know how he does it -_- But can I do it with a button? Or should I just get the switch? I've been told that the button is weaker than a switch though =(

The switch comes on guitars that have individual volume controls for each pickup.

Which way do you like it? Nobody can tell you that.

Are you gonna use the killswitch trick very often? If not, but you still would like to have the option, just save a little dough, and get a guitar with volume controls for both pickups.

What is your pickup/pot config
Last edited by MAYNARD at Jun 13, 2008,
Quote by Pinky19

For Morello's work your probally going to want a pick up switch and add in a extra volume knob. The button does sound a tad differently and no its not weaker is just faster so depending on how long you hold the button in depends on how long the effect occurs and how hard it occurs. On multi taps your never fully killing the signal its more like taps between the signal vs a switch its kill on kill on but that said if you hit the button hold it then release you have yourself a switch effect. Hope that helps...
With a one volume, one tone guitar the easiest thing to do would probably be to replace the tone pot with a second volume pot, if you don't mind the loss of a tone control that is. It's a pretty simple project if you've got basic soldering skills, just google for a diagram. I suppose you could have also do a master volume and a killswitch button, but that seems like a less versatile setup to me. Ultimately if you wanted to you could always do two volume knobs and drill another hole and add a killbutton later if you want to do buckethead-type stuff better.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
I can trade the tone knob for a button or a switch. I'm wondering which one is more versatile, meaning which could do buckethead and morello. My guitar has a volume and tone only, but i can get rid of the Tone knob for either one.

Quote by Pinky19
I can trade the tone knob for a button or a switch. I'm wondering which one is more versatile, meaning which could do buckethead and morello. My guitar has a volume and tone only, but i can get rid of the Tone knob for either one.

Button can do both for the morello stuff you would just have to work on your timing more.
Ok, any downsides for not having a tone knob? I plan on getting an EQ pedal*MXR 108) so what would the downsides be?

Quote by Pinky19
Ok, any downsides for not having a tone knob? I plan on getting an EQ pedal*MXR 108) so what would the downsides be?

Not for me because i keep my tone knob dimed.. But if your a guy that adjusts it alot then there is a down side. Also I wouldnt totally remove it just unscrew it and rest it inside the cavity of the guitar with whatever setting you usually have it at.
He is gonna remove tthe tone knob and then wire a Kill switch into it. I don't know how though. I always keep my tone maxed, so that won't be a problem. He even said that the tone knob holds back a little bit of the tone, so removing it would make it sound even better =)

I ditched the volume knob and got a switch =)

nice. I personally would have ditched the tone tho, you can roll off your olume for a cleaner sound. Tone has less uses.
---▲===
Pink Floyd
damn bro, that's not too smart of a move unless you only play death metal. when you get into the realm of tube amps, using your volume knob on the guitar can open up new oppurtunities to your playing. tone knob should have gone instead....but eh whatever, maybe one day you can get it switched up!!

hope you like it tho!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out