It has the same notes that a F6 chord. If you would have the root on the 8 fret A string it would be normal F major chord (the same shape as an open C chord) but the 6th is on the 5 fret A string.
The main purpose of a TV is to have a place to point your furnatures to
its an F6 chord so the root is the only F being used in the chord which happens to be the 6th fret of the B string
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
^ You don't understand what i'm saying. If i didn't know the name of the chord already, how would i find out the root note? I mean an F6 chord's root note is obviously F but if someone tabbed out a chord, handed it to you and you had to say what chord it is, how would you find out the root note so you could go on to find out the name of it?

Quote by Quik Axe Player
By not asking stop questions.

What the hell is a stop question, then?
Quote by doubtfull
^ You don't understand what i'm saying. If i didn't know the name of the chord already, how would i find out the root note? I mean an F6 chord's root note is obviously F but if someone tabbed out a chord, handed it to you and you had to say what chord it is, how would you find out the root note so you could go on to find out the name of it?

What the hell is a stop question, then?

I think I know what you're asking... usually on a guitar, the first note you play in a chord (including open strings) is the root note. Or, you could simply figure out what notes you're playing and if they make a logical triad (ACE, FAC, EGB, etc.) then you can assume that the A, F, E, etc. is the root note.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by jasonmetal love
I think I know what you're asking... usually on a guitar, the first note you play in a chord (including open strings) is the root note. Or, you could simply figure out what notes you're playing and if they make a logical triad (ACE, FAC, EGB, etc.) then you can assume that the A, F, E, etc. is the root note.

But in that chord i posted there, the first note is A and the root is F.

E||--5----||
B||--1----||
G||-------||
D||--0----||
A||--0----||
E||--1----||

For example, that is Dm7 and the first note is an F :S
Quote by doubtfull
But in that chord i posted there, the first note is A and the root is F.

E||--5----||
B||--1----||
G||-------||
D||--0----||
A||--0----||
E||--1----||

For example, that is Dm7 and the first note is an F :S

Again, look at all the notes in that Dm7. We have an F A D C and an A. If we didn't already know it was a Dm7, we could take a look at the notes. FADCA. Just looking at it we can have a few possibilities. We could have an F chord (FAC) or a D chord (DFA). Now, considering that there's an F and a D in the chord, we go to our scales. A (D) in the F scale is the 6th tone. That doesn't make much sense if you already know how to play an F6... A (C) in the D scale is the 7th tone. Hence, Dm7. It's just process of elimination. Note that chords can be named different and also sound the same. It's a little wacky but, it's just theory. Not fact
Portugal. The Man »–
there is really no way of just knowing for that chord, because It is also a D-7 chord.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
you need to know intervals & how forming chords work.

Root + Major 3rd + Perfect 5th = Major Chord
R + minor 3rd + Perfect 5th = minor chord
R + m3 + Diminished 5th = Diminished chord
R + Major 3rd + Augmented 5th = Augmented chord

R + M3 + P5 + M7 = maj7
R + m3 + P5 + m7 = m7
R + M3 + P5 + m7 = 7 (or, literally called a "dominant 7" but when shown its just shown "7").

Chords with numbers below 7 replace the 7 with the major interval listed.
A chord with a number above 7 takes the relationship of its 7th chord with the added interval above it.
Thus,
R + M3 + P5 + M6 = 6
R + m3 + P5 + M6 = m6

R + M3 + P5 + M7 + M9 (or Major 2nd if you don't want to properly understand intervals) = Maj9
R + M3 + P5 + m7 + M9 = 9
R + m3 + P5 + m7 + M9 = m9

there's a whole lot more... but it'd be far too long without teaching an entire class to you.
hopefully this is enough to get you started.

but to truly answer your question,
an F6 chord is made up of F A C D.
If you know the components of the chord, and know its an F6 chord, clearly you know F is the root of F6.
You would then have to find F, and voila. that is that.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
There are multiple possibilities. A lot of the time you will never know outside of context unless you're dealing with simpler chords. For instinance, any diminished 7th chord has four possible roots, and m7 chords are enharmonic to inversions of 6 chords.