Okay, hey. I've been looking around a lot, and asking a lot of people, and a lot of people have told me B - 52 heads are where it's at.
-Then I've heard a Marshall half stack are amazing too.
--So I'm asking you guys. Would a marshall half stack (Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack Package)
--Or a Marshall cab, with B-52 head be better (B-52 LG-100A Head)(marshall cab, depending on price)

Thanks,
Kevin
oooohhh. Let me warn you. Neither will be looked at very favorably here. Both are run of the mill solid state stacks, basically amounting to a giant practice amp.

For the same price you can score a Bugera 6260 combo, or a B-52 AT-100 combo...or a used Peavey 5150..or Peavey Valveking..or Classic 30. The possibilites are endless. Your tone will thank you!
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Okay, here's the deal.
Budget?
Style?
Where will you play?
What do you already have?
Willing to buy used?
Go!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Don't rely on just the Marshall name alone. They have good amps, and they have crap amps (imo). All say Marshall on them, but the different models can be worlds apart.

The good Marshall amps are generally their tube amps, while most people (as well as I) frown upon their solidstate counterparts (which is what that halfstack you were looking at is).

A half-stack is never "necessary." For the money, you can do a lot better with a simpler looking tube combo amp. It'll have better tone, be just as loud if not louder, easier to carry around, and as long as you can play the guitar well, it'll still get you the girls.

If you simply MUST have a halfstack, there are still plenty that I would consider over the MG100 or B-52 LG. Peavey Valvekings for one, would blow either out of the pool.

Also don't disregard USED amps. You can get even more for your dollar if you're willing to look used.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
few things, are you new 2 the guitar? (if so you by no needs require a stack amp), MG series amps are solid state and they dont offer as good a sound as say a JCM series valve head and a 1960 cab (cabs are of course changeable), and if u find some JCM's have to many buttons look at the JCM 800 and look up if that head's sound isnt for you as the 2000's carry a fair few buttons. i think the JCM's are one of the most used amps by rock/metal guitarists and others as they are simple, loud, and heavy and very soft depending on genre. after playing a Line6 Valve combo ive gone right back to marshall (Line6 having serious volume backlash issues being a digitally controlled amp). they are by far the most trustworthy in my opinion as the whole new brand trend is all more flare and immitated sounds than good old fashioned know how and an established reputation (of 40 plus years)
Last edited by Engel22 at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by Sid McCall
Okay, here's the deal.
Budget?
Style?
Where will you play?
Willing to buy used?
Go!

True.

Also, Marshall MG's have quite a bad sound when compared to a good Marshall. B-52 AT's are great actually. They're affordable tube amps with decent cleans and heavy distortion.

EDIT: notice i mentioned the B-52 AT, i'm not sure about the sound in their other amps.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by Sid McCall
Okay, here's the deal.
Budget?
Style?
Where will you play?
Willing to buy used?
Go!

Budget-under 1 grand
style-Metal
Where Will I play-gigging around area, from basements, to decent venues
What do I already have-just a piece of crap fender combo
Yes I am always one for used.
Both crap amps. Unless you are playing stadiums, chances are you wont need a half stack. For that range, Buger, B-52 AT 112, Classic 30 (If you son't play metal). Pretty much what was stated before
Quote by Ghold125
look at:
B-52 At series
Peavey 5150/6505
Burgera

Same here... I really doubt u need a halfstack though. I'd say you go for a tube combo. It'll probably give you a better sound at high volumes than a solid state half stack at low volumes. Also, they're loud enough for practice and small venues. If you're playing at decent ones they should have a house pa system that will mic up ur equipment, that way u don't need to blast everything. Look into the B-52 AT combos since they can pull off the scooped/unscooped metal sound. Peaveys can handle distortion as well.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.