Page 1 of 2
I wasnt sure where to post this so let me know if this is the wrong section. I just got an invite from some old friends to join thier punk band. I started out with them but moved schools and got more into blues jamming and such. Now to my understanding, and judging by what I've heard from thier drummer, its just a bunch of power chords and most of the songs sound the same. They want me to come in as a 'lead' guitarist. I'm not exactly sure what lead is in punk music. I dont want to go in and try to change thier style, but I want to make it clear that there needs to be some thought put into the musical side of it, not just how 'hardcore' they look. So what do I need to do to play more 'punk' sounding lead? The rhythm part is easy, but everything I try to play over it just doesnt fit. Now oldschool punk you can do with almost blues sounding lead (imo). Could you guys give me some suggested listening/ guitarist to study up on?
Listen to 'the only ones' - another girl, another planet.
a great punk band with a very good lead guitarist.

i would suggest telling them that you like to play a lot of blues and that will definately influence your lead lines, if they're cool with that then its good, if not then dont change your style just for them.

Good luck man
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Well I need to expand anyway, I like the high energy of punk but I feel that a lot of people that play 'punk' just lack the ablility to play anything other than powerchords. Not to mention I live in the suburbs and theres nothing punk about that...Although we do have a big horror punk scene around here strangely enough
Just play some meedly meedlies then everyone will know how cool you are.
Listen to the Angel City Outcasts. They most definitely play something more than power chords.

http://www.myspace.com/aco
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Last edited by Ska Wars at Jun 10, 2008,
Tell the rhythm guitarist it play barre chords. Also, check out Toy Dolls, Johnny Thunders, and X.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Well maybe you can bring something new into their bands. You dont have to copy other punk guitarists exactly, no matter how good.
Quote by DanRev
Well maybe you can bring something new into their bands. You dont have to copy other punk guitarists exactly, no matter how good.

I dont want to copy, I just wanted to listen to some of the stuff and get a feel for it. Like I said, this is a new style for me.
A lot of punk stuff is pentatonic scales, but that gets kind of repetitive after a while.

As Ska Wars said, Angel City Outcasts is definitely a good example of what punk can be with some thought. (The Chase is my favorite ACO song).

Maybe if you gave us a few of their favorite bands or a sample of what they sound like, we could point you into a direction more suited to the style that they play.
Maybe try some garage punk, like the Bloody Hollies. They seem like something you may like. Kinda bluesy at times, I guess.

http://www.myspace.com/thebloodyhollies
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
I'd just recommend u to get more into modes, pentatonic scales and arpeggios, combine this with power chords = Punkismygod
鋼の錬金術師
Quote by livrockdie
I know my pentatonic, and basic major and minor

thats should be enough to be a good punk lead guitarist

i have to recomend the solo on agnostic fronts gotta go
Guitars
Gretsch corvette
Epiphone SG special

Effects
RP350
big muff pi
crybaby wah
RC-2 loop station

Amps
Spider II 15W
Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by outlaw metaler
thats should be enough to be a good punk lead guitarist

i have to recomend the solo on agnostic fronts gotta go

Ew, Agnostic Front are bad...

Anyway, if you want I different feel and I've already mentioned this, tell your rhythm guitarist to play barre chords. I also highly recommend listening to X.
maybe mudhoney?
cause they are a mix of garage rock/ punk / bluesy stuff
There's definitely a place for lead guitar in punk. It just isn't pretentious or overshadowing. A good punk band should be based around strong songwriting abilities, as opposed to how long you can wank.
As noted, Johnny Thunders (both with the New York Dolls, who you might dig, and the Heartbreakers) is excellent. Bob Quinne is one of my all time favorite guitarists; he played lead for Richard Hell and the Voidoids, who you should definitely check out. Television had some pretty interesting guitar parts too.

Or you could just play guitar like Lou Reed
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Jett Diamond
There's definitely a place for lead guitar in punk. It just isn't pretentious or overshadowing. A good punk band should be based around strong songwriting abilities, as opposed to how long you can wank.
As noted, Johnny Thunders (both with the New York Dolls, who you might dig, and the Heartbreakers) is excellent. Bob Quinne is one of my all time favorite guitarists; he played lead for Richard Hell and the Voidoids, who you should definitely check out. Television had some pretty interesting guitar parts too.

Or you could just play guitar like Lou Reed

Generally I would agree, but if it´s really just power chords neither Lou Reed nor Television are perfect models for a lead guitar
^Yeah, you're right. It would be helpful if we knew what kind of punk band he was joining, as if it's an Unseen or Anti-Flag type band, I dunno how much lead he can really work in. If it's like '77 shit then there should be no problem.
I just wanted to give him some examples of good lead in punk.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Jett Diamond
^Yeah, you're right. It would be helpful if we knew what kind of punk band he was joining, as if it's an Unseen or Anti-Flag type band, I dunno how much lead he can really work in. If it's like '77 shit then there should be no problem.
I just wanted to give him some examples of good lead in punk.

Agreed.
if the rhythm guitar just plays some powerchords you can use the octave chords in high positions, I think that´s how lots of bands do it, or long tones with trills etc.
Or he could play some open chord equivalents to give it a bigger sound. But Lavazza's octave chord idea could work a lot better, if it's a harder sort of band.
DOWN&OUT
theyre into the misfits, and I know I'm gonna get some **** for this but I saw the misfits live and I thought our local bands that opened for them did better. They're old and have no passion for it anymore, its just no fun. But ya, fast simple powerchord riffs. Thier lyrics are ****ty too. The drummer is an old friend of mine and they want to put her on guitar and vocals, but she doesnt really like the stuff they play. So when she said they were looking for another guitarist I said I'd join. Honestly though if I do they're gonna have to grow up a bit and put some effort into thier music. The guitarist keeps booking them gigs that are way above their skill level and they dont sell enought tickets.
Quote by livrockdie
theyre into the misfits, and I know I'm gonna get some **** for this but I saw the misfits live and I thought our local bands that opened for them did better. They're old and have no passion for it anymore, its just no fun. But ya, fast simple powerchord riffs. Thier lyrics are ****ty too. The drummer is an old friend of mine and they want to put her on guitar and vocals, but she doesnt really like the stuff they play. So when she said they were looking for another guitarist I said I'd join. Honestly though if I do they're gonna have to grow up a bit and put some effort into thier music. The guitarist keeps booking them gigs that are way above their skill level and they dont sell enought tickets.

The Misfits (IMO of course, homies) suck. I've never liked them, and WAY too many bands copy them, and sound even worse than the Misfits ever could. It sounds like the band is a bit of a crap shoot. Try to bring in some influence without completely changing them. If you and the singer or drummer ain't diggin' it, shake things up. Look into all the bands people have been suggesting.
DOWN&OUT
I checked out all the bands. Out of the ones suggested Angel City Outcast is the one I liked most, which tells you a bit about my style. I like to play garage rock and I listen to mostly alternative rock/ whatevers on the radio because thats when I generally listen to music unless I'm on the computer. So its a little bit of a jump, but I like the high energy. Although one problem I've always had with the 'punk' crowd is how they always bitch about how the preps dress yet all have six foot high mohawks. Honestly, you cant criticize someone for spending too much time on themselves when your hair takes a bottle of gel each day...
Quote by livrockdie
I checked out all the bands. Out of the ones suggested Angel City Outcast is the one I liked most, which tells you a bit about my style. I like to play garage rock and I listen to mostly alternative rock/ whatevers on the radio because thats when I generally listen to music unless I'm on the computer. So its a little bit of a jump, but I like the high energy. Although one problem I've always had with the 'punk' crowd is how they always bitch about how the preps dress yet all have six foot high mohawks. Honestly, you cant criticize someone for spending too much time on themselves when your hair takes a bottle of gel each day...

Those are only stupid street punks, stay away from them and their music, it sucks(No offense to the stuff that's not like the Casualties, you all know what I mean when I'm saying that). Just try to bring some energy and influence to the band and maybe try to write lyrics that don't suck. You can probably make them into a better band.
Ok, so I 'audition' with them this Sunday. According to the drummer thier idea of an audition is just saying 'play something.' So I need something fast, punk, easy (wow, thats descriptive), with a little bit of lead thrown in. If I just wing it and improv I know I'll come off sounding too...well not 'punk'
Listen to some Dead Boys, Propagandhi, Social Distortion, Bad Brains, Angel City Outcasts, Black Flag, X, Valient Thorr, U.S. Bombs, Turbo A.C.'s, Television, Stooges, Bad Religion, MC5, and Saccharine Trust to see some different ways lead playing can be incorporated into punk music.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Those are only stupid street punks, stay away from them and their music, it sucks(No offense to the stuff that's not like the Casualties, you all know what I mean when I'm saying that). Just try to bring some energy and influence to the band and maybe try to write lyrics that don't suck. You can probably make them into a better band.

Not all people who wear a mohawk are street punks.......
Quote by lavazza
Not all people who wear a mohawk are street punks.......

I know that, I just meant the ones who care about how high their mohawk is or how many studs they wear.
Quote by StreetLight3989
I know that, I just meant the ones who care about how high their mohawk is or how many studs they wear.

haha, this is true. Some of those kids who act like that ruin our street punk cred. Not really, they just give us something to laugh at. Especially here in Florida, i consider myself a street punk but i wear clothing that is comfortable, t-shirt, shorts, shoes, whatever. I see these kids out in the near 100 degree weather in a leather studded jacket and long pants and boots and i think they must be dying of heat exhaustion. Also funny because their mohawks/spikes/whatever are melting in the humid florida heat while i'm resting easy with kinda short hair.

punk's not dead, it's just taking a vacation.

edit: i sometimes wear a mohawk in the latter months of the year, it gets cooler out and its nice weather. Also with mohawks you scare some people, its totally wonderful.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
I always think it's weird when people think that a mohawk will only stay up for one day at a time. They seemed shocked when they find out that most people keep there's up for anywhere from 3 days to several weeks at a time. It makes way more sense though, no one would have it up more than once in a while if it were that high maintenance.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Page 1 of 2