Poll: Does our universe need a god or an intelligent designer to exist?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does our universe need a god or an intelligent designer to exist?
Yes
139 26%
No
398 74%
Voters: 537.
Page 1 of 8
Keep in mind, I am Christian, but I think a lot of people believe that the universe can't exist like this and that it seems a God had to create this.

In fact, here's the popular teleological argument:

X is too complex, orderly, adaptive, apparently purposeful, or beautiful to have occurred randomly or accidentally.
Therefore, X must have been created by a sentient, intelligent, wise, or purposeful being.
God is that sentient, intelligent, wise, or purposeful being.
Therefore, God exists.

X = the universe.

There are problems with this: first off, purpose is debatable, and beauty is subjective. And secondly, I don't see why this force had to be a God, or intelligent design.

Another question I'm asking is this: If not God, does the universe need an intelligent designer?

I also see no reason why whatever created our universe, let's say some force, has to be intelligent.

And here's a more simplified version of the argument:

Complexity implies a designer.
The universe is highly complex.
Therefore, the universe has a Designer.

Complexity is very relative. A lot of things that exist without an intelligent designer can be called complex if compared to something else.

I could talk more, but I want to hear some other opinions.
well, if you think about the multiple universes theory, there are unlimited amounts of X's, and we just happen to be one that is beautiful.
The universe can be a self-existent being, meaning it created itself (just as a god would create itself). Therefore, there is no need for a bearded guy in the sky.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
No it donut.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Clearly not.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
This should probably go in the religion thread. Also, you'll find that pretty much everyone except Christians discounts ID theory as illogical, and even many of the more intelligent Christians will agree that it doesn't really hold weight in a philosophical debate, although there is a better argument from the fact that the universe is contingent.

Anyway, I'd also like to quote Voltaire:
If God didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent him.

This essentially means that even if God doesn't exist, we require some purpose in our lives and some motivation to do good, which many people find in religion. Nothing to lose, after all.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Kensai
No it donut.

omg u liek donut 2
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I think you should define God first... but if God is merely a supernatural force, then yes.
I think what you said goes both ways. It's too complex to have been created by one being. And even if some being had the ability to do it, why would be want to waste time that could be spent playing COD 4 and eating chips?
two and a half men.

Does it fit?
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
Quote by Ziggums
What made God then?

Huh... Huh??

^ That.

So no.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Nope. It functions like a biosphere that is self-maintaing. How it got there in the first place? Maybe it just existed all along, I don't know.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
Quote by sneaky_snake
I don't think it matters to know.

I'm with this guy.

I voted no though.
Quote by Ziggums
What made God then?

Huh... Huh??

Mabye a more powerful God? Mabye It's like looking at a mirror through another mirror.
two and a half men.
No.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
i has a question for you alls...

Where does God live?

You'd say as the universe contains everything... somewhere in the universe God must be living.

Only thing is... he supposedly created the universe so where was he before this?

Either a different universe or no God.

i feel proud of myself
Quote by MastaBassist10
^Spoons are awesome. Not as cool as forks, but pretty cool.

Quote by CoreysMonster
so 1 h3rd u l1ek donut5?

wel i ges u herd rite sadli i haevent eten donut in ovar a eayr
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
He made it, so yes it does, it needs to be catered for. Like a garden. Planets grow, blow up, implode, shooting stars get bigger...it all needs attending to.
Quote by michal23
I think you should define God first... but if God is merely a supernatural force, then yes.

Then we need to define supernatural.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
God: I refuse to prove I exist for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing.

Man: But the complexity of humans are a dead give away aren't they? It proves you exist and so therefore you don't, QED.

God: Oh dear, I hadn't thought of that *promptly vanishes in a puff of logic*
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
well you you see, earth was created by aliens for their entertainment. Like a big reality TV show. They took some deer from one planet, humans from another planet and japanese from another, etc. thye put us all together to see how we would interact.
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Quote by break-me-in
Then we need to define supernatural.

Anything unexplainable by natural laws.
How can anything exist without there being a creator? Humans create humans, seeds create plants, so how can the universe come to be without a creator?
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
He made it, so yes it does, it needs to be catered for. Like a garden. Planets grow, blow up, implode, shooting stars get bigger...it all needs attending to.
Unsupported statements are awesome.
Quote by cukd7x-a2-
How can anything exist without there being a creator? Humans create humans, seeds create plants, so how can the universe come to be without a creator?
Then who created the creator?
You can say he was always here but that can equally apply to the universe.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
nobody got any ideas towards my earlier post?

feels like a +1 to the no God theory...
Quote by MastaBassist10
^Spoons are awesome. Not as cool as forks, but pretty cool.