Okay, so i did some searching around and most people have said learn

1. Scales
2. Chords once you know the scales the chord of made up of are this will be a breeze
3. Techniques ( Pinch Harmonics, Tapping, Tremolo, Picking Styles, etc.)
4. Songs

I'm learning scales, can someone tell me how to play this and or read this wtf does it mean
How do i even figure out where to start playing, what type of diagrams do i use tabs or that thing or this thing or this

Which scales do i start with first? Why do scales have like 10 different variations, which one do i learn?
Last edited by amd123 at Jun 10, 2008,
You're trying to learn too much at once, slow down. Learn the Minor Pentatonic and all its boxes, and then go ahead and learn the Major scale. Once you're comfortable with both, work on merging the two.
learning scales first and foremost if you don't have anyone guiding you probably isn't the best way to go. you're just going to be confused as hell.

learn songs. get your fingers to start functioning and get comfortable with tablature before you start moving into basic theory.
Quote by PieMonger
learning scales first and foremost if you don't have anyone guiding you probably isn't the best way to go. you're just going to be confused as hell.

learn songs. get your fingers to start functioning and get comfortable with tablature before you start moving into basic theory.

That too. Learn some simple songs, then come back.
As for the first one, the numbers correspond to your fingers. The one shaded in red is the root note from that position. The diagram is like the neck viewed sideways, so you know where the frets are.

Those are the pentatonic scales, so start on any random note, eg 5th fret on the E (which is A) and follow the fingering pattern from there, to get the minor pentatonic. In tab, this would give you 5-8, 5-7, 5-7, 5-7, 5-8, 5-8.

The scales then fit together because you move your hand up for each one - in this example, if you started pattern 1 on the 5th fret, then you'd start pattern 2 on the 8th fret, and end up with 8-10, 7-10, 7-10, 7-9, 8-10, 8-10. These are the same notes but in a different position on the neck - if you were improvising based on this scale, you might want to play them in this position rather than position one.

I learnt that one first. The other diagrams are more complicated- the last shows the entire neck, but I've not seen one like the middle before, though it's just fingering patterns for the major scales. Start with the first one, that's used a lot in rock.
My gear:
Ibanez RG350DX - Vintage VR3000 - Squire Telecaster
Marshall 15W
RAT distortion pedal - Boss Compression\Sustain pedal
okay what songs do you guys recommend, remeber i've only had my dinky for 2 days now
As far as theory goes start at the beginning - first thing to do is learn the notes on the fretboard, otherwise you're trying to spell without knowing the alphabet. Don't do anything else yet, just learn the notes on the fretboard. Once you've done that learn the major scale - pretty much everything else in western music theory refers back to it and without it you can't actually learn anything else. You don't need to worry about it too much yet though, you simply need to get yourself used to the guitar.

As far as playing goes just start learning open chords, E A and D are good to start with, then learn some simple strummy songs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 10, 2008,
Bearing in mind what the Gull just said, it sounds like you might want to try Warning by Green Day.
My gear:
Marshall 15W
Quote by steven seagull
As far as theory goes start at the beginning - first thing to do is learn the notes on the fretboard, otherwise you're trying to spell without knowing the alphabet. Don't do anything else yet, just learn the notes on the fretboard. Once you've done that learn the major scale - pretty much everything else in western music theory refers back to it and without it you can't actually learn anything else. You don't need to worry about it too much yet though, you simply need to get yourself used to the guitar.

As far as playing goes just start learning open chords, E A and D are good to start with, then learn some simple strummy songs.

which simple stummy songs are you talking about and where can i learn these so called open chords? Is there like a giant poster i can buy that has everything on it :P
Scale diagrams: www.looknohands.com is my favourite for that, it tells you the notes as well.
My gear:
Marshall 15W
dude that's alot of chords... reidsan how do i play that on guitar the scale diagrams on chord house? like for c major scale which note do i start with first? When does the scale end? And for chords, lets say i wanna play the Dm chord but in the 4th string there's no dot on the fret, does that mean open string?
Last edited by amd123 at Jun 10, 2008,
There's thousands of chords, you don't need to learn them all at once...like I said, just start with A D and E - that's enough to keep you occupied ofr a week or so at this stage.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Get teacher or a friend to show you the basics. You'd be amazed by how many guitarists actually enjoy teaching others for free.

A good noob song is "Smells like Teen Spirit". The blues shuffle is good but you gotta palm mute with your right hand. It can be tricky for noobs.

On the Nirvana song the first power chord you play is an "F" so if you're playing along to that song you're going to play in the key of F. Pull out the F major scale and just simply play the scale. Notice how the notes you're playing sound good with the music?

Scales aside, you need to learn these chords. A,B,C,D,E,F,G. Don't forget to get a mentor
DO NOT learn scales by box posistions or patterns.
If you want to learn it that way, you're not doing yourself any favours, and you wont learn anything at all.
Been away, am back
Quote by amd123
dude that's alot of chords... reidsan how do i play that on guitar the scale diagrams on chord house? like for c major scale which note do i start with first? When does the scale end? And for chords, lets say i wanna play the Dm chord but in the 4th string there's no dot on the fret, does that mean open string?

You start on note 1, and end on a higher note 1 - note 1 will be "C" in c major, or "D" in D major.

For chords, learn C, A, G, E and D major, then minor, then sevenths. Only then move on.
My gear:
Marshall 15W
Like Seagull said, MEMORIZE the locations of the notes on the fretboard before attempting to learn pentatonic scales and such.
so now you guys are telling me
1. Learn Notes (EVERY NOTE)
2. C,D,E,F,G,A,B Open Chords and the CAGED system
3. Scales
4. Other Chords
5. Techniques
Quote by Logz
DO NOT learn scales by box posistions or patterns.
If you want to learn it that way, you're not doing yourself any favours, and you wont learn anything at all.

Well WHICH WAY do you recommend?
Quote by amd123
Well WHICH WAY do you recommend?

LOGZ is telling you to learn how to construct scales instead of learning box posistions. However, this isn't really important at your stage. Just improve your technique and finger strength for now. Go HERE
Click the technique link on the left.

But if you really want to learn how to CONSTRUCT scales just ask.
One thing on chord house how do i make lets say a c major chord into a barre chord? Oh and for the c chord i play
e|---0|
b|---1|
g|---0|
d|---2|
a|---3|
e|----|

So lets say I wanna play a c chord higher up on the fret board can i move it anywhere i want lets say i wanna play it on the 5th fret 1st string if i move the first note there and all the other notes in their corresponding positions will it still work or will i have a new note chord?
If you turn that chord shape into a barre at the fifth fret i think it would be an E barre chord because the C note was raised to 2 and a 1/2 steps. Im just curious, are your fingers already strong enough to do barre chords? You said you just started. Ive been playing for almost two months(acoustic and electric) and i can barely do them.
Quote by amd123
Okay, so i did some searching around and most people have said learn

1. Scales
2. Chords once you know the scales the chord of made up of are this will be a breeze
3. Techniques ( Pinch Harmonics, Tapping, Tremolo, Picking Styles, etc.)
4. Songs

I'm learning scales, can someone tell me how to play this and or read this wtf does it mean
How do i even figure out where to start playing, what type of diagrams do i use tabs or that thing or this thing or this

Which scales do i start with first? Why do scales have like 10 different variations, which one do i learn?

start with the major scale
song stuck in my head today

Quote by amd123
One thing on chord house how do i make lets say a c major chord into a barre chord? Oh and for the c chord i play
e|---0|
b|---1|
g|---0|
d|---2|
a|---3|
e|----|

So lets say I wanna play a c chord higher up on the fret board can i move it anywhere i want lets say i wanna play it on the 5th fret 1st string if i move the first note there and all the other notes in their corresponding positions will it still work or will i have a new note chord?

a Cmajor triad chord contains the notes C E G so any where on the neck as long as you have C E G. it uses the scale degrees 1 3 5

but barre the 3rd fret and make the shape of Amaj on the fifth fret
song stuck in my head today

Last edited by lbc_sublime at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by amd123
anyone bump please!?

bump your thread again or get shitty with me and ill close the thread.
Been away, am back