ok, so sooner or later im off to GC to buy myself a nice electric. An ibanez GRX20. it costs $150 alone. But ive been going over a plan in my head that could get me a better deal.

it involves looking at a squier bullet with a salesman, but then catch sight of the ibanez and falling in love with it. But ill only have 130 or so, and say i planed on getting a squier and some accessories. Then if i need i can borrow 20 off a friend, but want to throw in some strings or a gig bag too.

but the problem is that im 16. I would rather have my folks pay for the guitar with the credit card, they pay them back later. but that ruins the plan. If i need to, and it will get me a much better deal, i am sure the would let me use the cash.

so, does this seem reasonable? my friend played a lot longer then me on electric, so he should be able to help me out.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
Personally I've found that being honest about how much you have and are willing to spend is a much better way to get a price break than some BS act.
Their margin on a $150 guitar is probably very low, so I don't understand why they would even bother lowering the price. They also problem sell tons of them anyways because they are cheaper, so they don't need you that bad.
ok. but could i try to get a discount at all? for being a floor model or something? or is 150 not worth them spending any time haggling?
Guitars:
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

Quote by Skar578
ok. but could i try to get a discount at all? for being a floor model or something? or is 150 not worth them spending any time haggling?

No harm in trying ever. Just like your mom says.

But the floor model thing won't work since most of the time you buy the guitar you try. They couldn't give everyone a brand new one and still have some out to try.
just get $20...
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave
I was inspired by someone saying they had Millionaire on their Ipod

he's talking about me!
No,being honest helps,I got my amp on discount because I was honest,but didnt want to spend that much,of corse the sales guy was cool though,I doubt you will be that lucky.
dude they have a 10% off thing goin on any way so you'll proabley be fine (on those little monthly product guides they send out they have the little Certificate for The 10% off)
Quote by TheProducer
Their margin on a $150 guitar is probably very low, so I don't understand why they would even bother lowering the price. They also problem sell tons of them anyways because they are cheaper, so they don't need you that bad.

True.

Plus being honest helps quite a bit... just like being nice to them (think of all the ppl they have to deal with). I've gotten discounts on all my previous purchases without really asking for them. I got about 200 dollars off and had speaker stands and cables thrown in when i bought a pa system (1000), 30 dollars off my les paul (orig. 600), and 40 dollars off a vocal mic (140). Maybe it's also cuz i spend quite some money there. Prior to that i had bought a 550 dollar processor and then like 450 dollars worth of effects.

EDIT: also, there's a pawn shop where i go in pretty often and bought my first guitar at. Last year i went in and they had a Fender Tele MIM in great conditions for 325 or so. The guy knew me so he offered it for 300 but i got him to lower it to 275 cuz i said it needed some adjustments to the action and intonation.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Jun 10, 2008,
haggling at GC hardly ever works
and when it does its hardly enough money to make a difference
if you want to haggle, go to a local shop
well, i would still be really nice to the guy, of course. i can only imagine some of the characters they have to deal with. I was thinking that a $150 guitar is really not that hard to sell, so, if i had all the money ("borrowing" it from my friend) i could try to get a better deal.

but i guess being flat out honest is better, but what do you guys think the chances are of getting a discount on such a cheap instrument?
Guitars:
Gibson SGJ 2014

Quote by Skar578
well, i would still be really nice to the guy, of course. i can only imagine some of the characters they have to deal with. I was thinking that a $150 guitar is really not that hard to sell, so, if i had all the money ("borrowing" it from my friend) i could try to get a better deal.

but i guess being flat out honest is better, but what do you guys think the chances are of getting a discount on such a cheap instrument?

Very, very low. Like I said, they don't make much of selling a $150 instrument, so to give you $20 say, would be huge cut into their margin.