Hey im in the market for a new hardtail and im having to choose between these two guitars

The Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paul-Reed-Smith-SE-Custom-Electric-Guitar-519370-i1150570.gc

And The Schecter S-1 Mahogany Guitar
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-S-1-Mahogany-Guitar-518145-i1149909.gc

I mostley play hard rock and metal which i why im havin a hard time choosen between em' cause i dont know how the PRS would sound like under Metallica like Distortion and i dont know how the Shecter would sound like With Clean led zeppelin kind of sound also if it can even have a blues-ish sound. so if you would give me some feed back I would really appericate it
thanx a head of time
I'm sure others will chime in, but one major difference in feel is the PRS neck. It is fat and chunky. Good for a nice fat tone, however maybe uncomfortable to play fast?
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
Honestly, I would go with the schecter. My roomate has a PRS 10 top and we play alot of metal. His tone is lacking just a little bit I think. But play them both if you can.
Have you looked into the Schecter C-1 Plus??

Its pretty versitile, with 24 frets and has the coil-tap feature.

Also has a 24.75" scale, unlike most other C-1 models. They come with Duncan Designed HBs, modeled after the SD Jazz/JB combo. I used to own one and I loved it.
Gear

Taylor GS-Mini
Line 6 HD500
Go for the prs it's a much better guitar. It's also a better guitar company than shecter. The prs is a lot better looking as well. In my opinion it is the best guitar for that price range.
Schecter has some very versatile guitars. I would suggest a Schecter, but not that model...

Check out the C-1 Series (C-1 Classic, C-1 Plus, C-1 standard)

(They have the same general 'look' as the PRS)

Other models to check out:

The "Stiletto Classic" guitar... I've never played it but it's one of the most beautiful instruments I've seen.
Hrm, for what you're looking for, I can understand the conundrum. You aren't exactly getting a custom PRS but those SE's aren't anything to sneeze at for the price, and Schecter do have a lot of bang for their buck as well.

Do you have easy access to a store that sells them both? Can you get an approximation of your rig there? I'd do that if I could.

But part of me can't resist that PRS urge. There's a raffle locally that's giving away one of those SE's and even though I know it's "just" an SE, I couldn't help myself in buying a ticket.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Actually the PRS is better but not by much. Both neck profiles are roughly the same as both are on the chunky side so essentially it boils down to pick-ups which the PRS inches by with (though barely as it's pretty much the PRS version of Duncan Designed).
You should ask someone that has both a prs and a schecter. oh wait thats me. Ok here is the real deal. If you are going to play a harder edged type music then schecter is the way to go they are designed better for it along with the pickups. Keep in mind i have a classic and a hellraiser. The prs is better all around guitar. the classic and the prs are close but the prs leans more to the fender sound and the schecter to the gibby side. thats my 2cents
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
^The Classic and Hellraiser both have better pick-ups than the one he wants, the Duncan Designed pick-ups are terrible. They're pretty dead even with the PRS slightly ahead because the pick-ups are only a smidge better. Only he'll be able to decide which feels best to him.
Quote by anonamooseguy
You should ask someone that has both a prs and a schecter. oh wait thats me. Ok here is the real deal. If you are going to play a harder edged type music then schecter is the way to go they are designed better for it along with the pickups. Keep in mind i have a classic and a hellraiser. The prs is better all around guitar. the classic and the prs are close but the prs leans more to the fender sound and the schecter to the gibby side. thats my 2cents

sory for offtop

How is Ur Hellraiser compared to classic ,which U like better etc

Greetings!
I have been very underwhelmed by every PRS SE that wasn't a singlecut.

They feel very toy-like and "plasticky", and are very overpriced in my opinion.

A much better choice would be a Michael Kelly Valor.

Carved maple tops (which are very sexy looking), better pickups, coil splitting, ebony fretboard, *and* they are less expensive.

The Valor Custom in Black Fade = Amazing.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
PRS hands down.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by Musza
sory for offtop

How is Ur Hellraiser compared to classic ,which U like better etc

Greetings!

there are several differences:

you cant get a better sound for hard edge music than the hellraiser, PERIOD

the classic's jb/59 combo is very versitile and can play about anything.

the classic is a few pounds heavier than the hellraiser and the necks are different in that the classic has an american strat kinda neck and the hellraiser has a musicman neck shape.
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Classic is heavier than a hellraiser? Hell yeah! I was carrying my hellraiser back to my room last night just thinking that it was a pretty heavy guitar. I like heavy guitars. I don't know why some people complain about them. But I am a pretty big dude.
Schecters i've heard are very versatile.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
I have a Classic, and used to own a C-1 Plus.

The Classic is a nice heavy guitar, it is similar to my Epi LP is weight. This was a major reason for me getting the Classic. I dont care too much for the Vine of Life inlays, but I love the Seymour Duncan Jazz / JB combo. Very versitile, and sustains for days. The Classic also has a maple neck through construction, with the maple cap gives it the added weight.

The Hellraiser is geared more towards metal, in that they come stock with EMGs. I am not too sure about the necks, but I know the Classic does have a bit thicker neck profile than the rest of the set-neck C-1s.

One thing I dont care for too much is the 5-way pickup selector and configs of the 5-way. I am going to replace the 5-way with a 3-way switch, and then add a coil-tap pot to replace the tone knob. The configuration would be similar to a C-1 Elite.
Gear

Taylor GS-Mini
Line 6 HD500
the PRS SE's aren't real PRS's they're made by global instrument Co. under license by PRS in Korea. Not saying that's bad, but don't think you'll get an instrument of caliber with their American models . I've played a singlecut SE and it was actually pretty good, i still prefer my C-1 Elite though. I would have to say Schecter.
check this out, in guitar world june 08, in the gear review section, is a prs you might like. its the paul allender sig guitar. listing for under a grand it has a trem, prs designed pups, 24 frets set maple neck, mahogany body. article says the maple neck gives the guitar more bite than an all mahogany guitar, but keeps the sustain. the only bad thing that was said about it was its lack of locking tuners.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab