Hi all,

I picked up a Seymour Duncan TB6 on the cheap and I believe it came out of a Washburn. Instead of having the four wires it has just two, a black and a red.

Can anyone shed any light? Is the black wire definitely the hot output?
red is hot black is common. Thats usually how this kinda stuff is, couldn't tell you for sure.
did you search for the schematics? should be easy to find

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
I would figure the black to be hot, since that's the normal hot on SD pickups.

However, it technically doesn't matter, it will work either way. If it's being installed on a pickup with more than 1 pickup, just switch the wires around if it sounds thin and nasal when you use the Duncan with another pickup (like the middle position, or something.)
Quote by forsaknazrael
I would figure the black to be hot, since that's the normal hot on SD pickups.

However, it technically doesn't matter, it will work either way. If it's being installed on a pickup with more than 1 pickup, just switch the wires around if it sounds thin and nasal when you use the Duncan with another pickup (like the middle position, or something.)

Red is actually the coil tap wire, black is the hot wire. you are correct in saying that it doesnt matter which way its going, unless you are using HSS pickups i believe.
im pretty much confused as to what you are talking about. white+red = coil tap, green is ground, black is hot, if its out the braided wire gets ground as well. i didnt say his red wire was coil split, if you thought i did, you thought wrong. unless it is, and there is another wire hiding in his shielded wire.
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I'll just assume black is hot and see what happens!
In case anyone is interested, I teared away a bit more of the outer cable and revealed two further wires: a green and a white, soldered together. So I first went with what it would have been (i.e. I left green and white soldered together) and it gave a really thin sound. Then I changed it to standard SD wiring and it is fine. Funny how the two cables revealed originally would have left it on a funny setup. I wonder if this is why the guy wanted to sell it.