i bought a b-52 tri mode rectifier a little while ago. i've been trying to dial a tone in and i get a pretty good sound out of it now, but i think that has more to do with the fact that the b-52 is just a bad ass head. so, i was wondering how some of you guys have dialed in tones. i just play. i don't know too much about the tech side of the guitar.
the arsonist had oddly shaped feet...
I have the AT212 100 watt combo version of that amp head, and I keep it pretty simple...

I keep Gain 1 standard without the contour for a darker more growly distortion, but I mostly use gain 2 with the contour.

settings are:
gain - 7
bass - 6
mids - 5 to 7
treble - 5 to 7

However, I used the contour to beef up or cut the midrange and overall shape the tone to taste. typically ranging from 3 to 7 depending on what I'm looking for. I like a little more midrange, so typically I have contour at 5 to 7.

When I record multiple guitar tracks however, I'll use gain 1 and gain 2 to fill out the sound with contour adjustments.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
i have the gain turned to max on both channels. it just sounds good to me. and i have the treble and mids around 7 and i have the bass at 8. like i said, i think it sounds good. but i've had people give me wierd looks over my settings, so i wasn't sure if i was making a technical no no.
the arsonist had oddly shaped feet...
hell no. What's the point in having your own flavor if you have the same settings as everyone else.. You know?

Plus, what guitar and pickup combination that you're using will have different results as well.

When I ran EMG 81/85's I usually had to beef up the low end substantially and moderate the mids and highs to compensate for the trebly bridge pup, versus when running an axe loaded with Duncan JB/Jazz
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator