Page 1 of 2
So I am completely stuck for a 2nd guitar. I want to play a lot of different things such as old Les Paul blues styles, classic rock/zepplin tones, a bit of jazz, and some metal (disturbed, metallica, along with some shred, like satch and vai)

I need NO single coil sounds, as i have an American Strat for that already. My amp and pedals are good for me right now.

I had considered an Epi LP, but have not heard great things about it quality wise. Another thing was a schecter C-1 classic. any thoughts.

I want something similar in playability to my strat.

Any ideas at all would be great around the $700 mark.

Thanks, Hawk
My favorite Schecter I've played so far is the one I have: C-1 Blackjack. Don't let the low price fool you. It's an awesome guitar. It's more playable than any strat I've played, but it's along those lines. That's what I'd go for. I liked the C-1 Classic also, but with the crazy fretboard, it's kinda hard to see where you're playing sometimes.

Oh, and it's versatile. Waaay versatile.
_______
|||||||||||||||
look for an esp with Seymour duncans
eclipse series- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC400VF?sku=512884
or
super stat
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-H500-Electric-Guitar-with-Duncan-Pickups?sku=512892
or if you want active Pups they have them as well
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
Quote by punkmetalA7X91
eclipse series- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC400VF?sku=512884
or
super stat
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-H500-Electric-Guitar-with-Duncan-Pickups?sku=512892

I am also looking for an exceptional clean blues sound. Can those two do it?

No actives either, never really liked them. Thanks for the input!
Check out an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra or Epiphone Prophecy... they make a Les Paul (primarily suited for shred/metal, actually) with 24 frets and an ebony fingerboard, but one of them has passive pickups suited for hard rock. I think it's the Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX or something like that (they're sold for ~$600, I think)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by hawk5211
I am also looking for an exceptional clean blues sound. Can those two do it?

No actives either, never really liked them. Thanks for the input!

then read some of the reviews on the links but the best thing for you would be to go and test these guitars and the ones others have recomended for your self so you can decide if the tone is what you want
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
If you go check out ESPs, check out the H (Horizon-based) series. I didn't like the way the MH1000 felt or sounded, but I played either an H500 or an H1001, and loved it. A bonus on the H series is the 5-way switch.

Schecters and ESPs are about equal in playability in my opinion, as far as the super-strat models of each brand go. If you're not sick of the strat shape, check out the Schecter C-1 Blackjack and ESP LTD H1001.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Quote by forsaknazrael
So what kind of body shape arer you looking for? An LP shape?

I'm not fussy at all about body shape, but I would like a sunburst style finish if possible.Something more conservative, and not screaming metal...

I'll be playing a bunch of these in a week or two, but im in the middle of exams right now and cant make it to the guitar shop, so I'm just getting an idea of what I should try out. Thanks for the input.
Any Schecter C-1 would work quite nicely for that price range.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by Raijouta
Check out an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra or Epiphone Prophecy... they make a Les Paul (primarily suited for shred/metal, actually) with 24 frets and an ebony fingerboard, but one of them has passive pickups suited for hard rock. I think it's the Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX or something like that (they're sold for ~$600, I think)

Yeah, it is the Prophecy GX. They play beautifully, and are pretty versatile. Search youtube for the epiphone prophecy gx ant try and find a vid called "Prophecy Soundcheck".

Plus, it looks gorgeous!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Those who are recommending Schecters: what are the necks like? I've heard they're really thick. Can anyone provide some sort of comparison to other guitars? I'm currently playing an SG with a slim 60's neck.
Quote by MavataR
thats one hell of a find. Did it have change in the case? cause you probably stole it from a busker who was off taking a piss.

Quote by punkmetalA7X91
or
super stat

+1

Check out that LTD EC-400; they are absolutely great guitars. Only the sunburst model comes with Seymour Duncan pickups which are pretty versatile, so you'll get a good looking guitar and a great sounding one too. Build quality of LTD guitars 400+ are generally pretty consistent and great I must say.
Hey give the Vintage Mohagany Les Paul a try too, from Gibson. It isn't too expensive and really sounds good.
The Hagstrom Swedes and Vikings might be worth a look.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I second the hagstrom idea.
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
Quote by guitarbite.fire
Used SG standard or faded SG, the schecters are thinner than the SGs but not by much

I would get the SG, not as bassier as the LP, but seriously, consider it!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Sounds to me like you want a Les Paul. Check out Agile or a used japanese Les Paul (which I have forgot who made)
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
man you decribed a schecter classic in your original post including price to get anything else would be foolish. check my sig for reference
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by forsaknazrael
What kind of SG? the "slim" 60's neck isn't that slim, FYI.

It's an Edwards SG, replica of the Gibson SG '61 Reissue. So..as slim as SG necks go, I'd say. Maybe not that slim, but more so than a Les Paul.
Quote by MavataR
thats one hell of a find. Did it have change in the case? cause you probably stole it from a busker who was off taking a piss.

Maybe a Schecter CSH-1? It's a semi, so you can get a nice warm blues tone out of it, and I believe it has Duncan pickups (they may be duncan designed, though).

Also, I have no idea if you'll dig it, but a Dean Cadillac 1980. It's probably the only Dean electric guitar (aside from a Chrome G) that I would consider getting.
how about a prs se singlecut? meets all your expectations plus it looks freaking sexy
Quote by bjoern_swe
Sounds to me like you want a Les Paul. Check out Agile or a used japanese Les Paul (which I have forgot who made)

I think what you're thinking of is Edwards. They are a Japanese subdivision of ESP if I remember right.
Quote by hawk5211
So I am completely stuck for a 2nd guitar. I want to play a lot of different things such as old Les Paul blues styles, classic rock/zepplin tones, a bit of jazz, and some metal (disturbed, metallica, along with some shred, like satch and vai)

I need NO single coil sounds, as i have an American Strat for that already. My amp and pedals are good for me right now.

I had considered an Epi LP, but have not heard great things about it quality wise. Another thing was a schecter C-1 classic. any thoughts.

I want something similar in playability to my strat.

Any ideas at all would be great around the $700 mark.

Thanks, Hawk

See if you can find an old "Brownsville " Les Paul " I think they were made in China , and marketed by "SAM ASH" for about an original $150.00. I bought mine on EBAY for $140.00 shipped ,....................wouldn't sel l lit for $1500. It screams , play softly melodic ,, pumps out the bass ,.......Anything I ask from it. the neck is Smooooooth and straight !
This is true love!!
I would honestly suggest a Double Fat MIM Strat or one of those HH Tele Deluxes.
You get your familiar Fender feel but with HH configuration.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
the high end epiphones can be even better than the low end gibsons, I'd check those out, look for a standard or studio with a set neck, they're basically a gibson with something different on the headstock.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
I'd go with either an Agile or Hagstrom and do a pup-swap, you'd be pretty much set with either guitar.
Schecter Tempest Classic FTW. It feels like a more comfy, faster Les Paul type guitar
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
i can only recommend an exotic star by schecter...awesome all around guitar with killer looks.....pickups are amazing and play cleans a blues sounds beautifully....daddys.com has em for $500,,,its a steal
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Try a PRS se singlecut. Versitile, with great sounds and stunning looks. Blows most epiphone guitars clean out the water in my opinion.
for $700, i would sell the spider and the FM212 and buy a better amp. you could get an amazing amp with that.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by _me_
Try a PRS se singlecut. Versitile, with great sounds and stunning looks. Blows most epiphone guitars clean out the water in my opinion.

+1
I played one after I got my epiphone les paul standard and felt like I should have really compared the two!
But ones you could look into could be..
Epiphone eliltist les paul standard
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
PRS SE Singlecut

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by forsaknazrael
Also, totally jealous of you. I want an Edwards SG.

+1. or at least some form of MIJ copy.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by HomerG
Hey give the Vintage Mohagany Les Paul a try too, from Gibson. It isn't too expensive and really sounds good.

+1

Look PRS too.
Quote by chea_man
for $700, i would sell the spider and the FM212 and buy a better amp. you could get an amazing amp with that.

nah, can't really justify a tube amp right now. In about a year maybe...

This thread kinda exploded, but thanks for all the input. I've made a list and I'm going to be trying alot fo these out next week.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 2