Will someone explain tremolo in a more practical, obvious aspect than wikipedia does? I've noticed guitars like the Gretsch 250 58xx don't list having them but guitars like the Fender HSS american strat do.

Anyone?
O, its a june 08'er
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by RandyRhoads2
I really hope this is a joke.

Well sorry to break it to you, but it doesn't look like it? June 2008?
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
You know that wahwahwahhhhhhhh sound some guitarist use? That's either from a wah pedal or the tremolo.
It's also known as a whammy bar. That bar that comes off the bridge on some guitars is the tremolo arm
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
You know that wahwahwahhhhhhhh sound some guitarist use? That's either from a wah pedal or the tremolo.
It's also known as a whammy bar. That bar that comes off the bridge on some guitars is the tremolo arm

Wah = tone.
Whammy = pitch.

So no, not really.
Quote by TheRstar
tremolo picking is picking one note really fast.

E|-22222222222222222222222222----

thats tremolo picking if i m wrong someone please correct me.

He didn't ask about "picking", but the tremolo/whammy bar.
so then the implication is if I go buy a new fender hss american strat, the tremolo is used to shred bystanders with tons of sarcasm?
tremolo decreases the tension on the strings when you push in the bar changing the pitch of the note,
Quote by surewhynot
so then the implication is if I go buy a new fender hss american strat, the tremolo is used to shred bystanders with tons of sarcasm?

What. Get a life.
Quote by surewhynot
hehehe

Laugh at me if you'd like, buddy. But you're the one who's wasted his day setting up an account, coming up with a dumb question to ask, and posting more dumb stuff only to get banned for being a moron.

Happy 12th birthday.
Quote by RandyRhoads2
This guy is obviously lying,most beginners sont know what an American HSS Strat is.

=O lets see if i can guess what that is, (i swear its a Guess), is it an american strat with humbucker on the bridge single coil in the middle and another single coil in the bridge????

gawd, if i get it wrong i am a beginner again
^^ yea, thats it. but american means thats where its made, compared to china, japan, mexico, etc.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
Tremolo = a fluctuation in volume.

Tremolo picking = Rapid picking of a string.

However, in basic guitar lexicon, a tremolo refers to the vibrato unit at the bridge of a guitar, which is used to decrease or increase the tension of the strings. This means you can make the pitch dive (go down/sound deeper) or increase (go up/get higher pitched) just by manipulating the "tremolo" unit.

There are different types which offer different things:

Fender/Vintage tremolo = dive only.
Bigsby tremolo = subtle warbling vibrato.
Floyd Rose = able to go both ways, usually used to create some crazy metal effects.

Hope that helps.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Tremolo = a fluctuation in volume.

Tremolo picking = Rapid picking of a string.

However, in basic guitar lexicon, a tremolo refers to the vibrato unit at the bridge of a guitar, which is used to decrease or increase the tension of the strings. This means you can make the pitch dive (go down/sound deeper) or increase (go up/get higher pitched) just by manipulating the "tremolo" unit.

There are different types which offer different things:

Fender/Vintage tremolo = dive only.
Bigsby tremolo = subtle warbling vibrato.
Floyd Rose = able to go both ways, usually used to create some crazy metal effects.

Hope that helps.

Tremolo is a fluctuation in pitch not volume. Isn't it?
By definition, it's a fluctuation in volume or intensity. That's why I didn't really understand how the definition would correlate to a guitar. From my understanding now, vibrato and tremolo are used interchangeably in that context... ....right? Tension = pitch = frequency..? And it was a serious question, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or post dumb questions. I always try to look stuff up first as best I can before posting but that one just kinda threw me.
The reason the terms "vibrato" and "tremolo" are switched in our lovely guitar world, is because when the first vibrato system was designed, Leo Fender (in all of his infinite wisdom) dubbed it the "tremolo".

Now, anyone who knows any musical terms will tell you if you want to be picky, it's a vibrato bar, because vibrato means to change in pitch. TREMOLO though, actually means to change in VOLUME. But unfortunately people still refer to it as a "Tremolo", even though technically that's what a volume knob should be called more than the vibrato or "whammy" bar.

NOTE: Wah-Wah Pedals and Vibrato bridges are not the same thing, nor do they produce the same sound. Anyone who says they do... Well, just don't say they do.

But to the topic at hand (even though it's a very obvious joke)

Basically the theory behind the "Tremolo" bar is to allow the guitarist to change the pitch of the strings while playing, then to have them come back in tune when desired. Depending on the type of bridge, you can bend up, down, or do extreme bends (see: Dimebag) or just tiny little ones that aren't more than just a half step down.
why is it called tremolo arm. I was sure the act of wavering the pitch like that was vibrato. Even in other instrument that have not sort of tremelo arm capabilities, a tremelo is when you pick ffast.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
Quote by dzaerpoor
why is it called tremolo arm. I was sure the act of wavering the pitch like that was vibrato. Even in other instrument that have not sort of tremelo arm capabilities, a tremelo is when you pick ffast.

Read my post, and no, a tremolo is not when you pick fast. Tremolo PICKING is when you pick fast, a tremolo is a change in volume or intensity, NOT notes per second or anything else.

Sorry if I'm coming off like a dick, but after 5 years of high school band with a teacher who makes you memorize what the terms mean, you get aggravated when you see them used incorrectly
Quote by edusty2010
Read my post, and no, a tremolo is not when you pick fast. Tremolo PICKING is when you pick fast, a tremolo is a change in volume or intensity, NOT notes per second or anything else.

Sorry if I'm coming off like a dick, but after 5 years of high school band with a teacher who makes you memorize what the terms mean, you get aggravated when you see them used incorrectly

didn't read the entire thing but this man speaks the truth....kind of a shame on the whole Trem/Trem bar/Trem block/FR Trem blah ba blah

damn that Leo!

but you gotta love him
Quote by TheRstar
=O lets see if i can guess what that is, (i swear its a Guess), is it an american strat with humbucker on the bridge single coil in the middle and another single coil in the bridge????

gawd, if i get it wrong i am a beginner again

wow you did get it wrong and no one caught it.
Join the Palomino Players Guild!
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR (18v mod; Big Block, D-Tuna)
1975 Les Paul Custom replica

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
B-52 AT 212 - might sell this
Palomino V16...dead
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
didn't read the entire thing but this man speaks the truth....kind of a shame on the whole Trem/Trem bar/Trem block/FR Trem blah ba blah

damn that Leo!

but you gotta love him

Eh... Idk, I love to laugh at him for that mistake, but I've yet to find one other person to find it very humorous at all .

So for now I laugh in silence
Quote by edusty2010
The reason the terms "vibrato" and "tremolo" are switched in our lovely guitar world, is because when the first vibrato system was designed, Leo Fender (in all of his infinite wisdom) dubbed it the "tremolo".

Leo Fender was not the first. Besides the Bigsby Vibrato tailpiece, there was a Kaufman vibrato mechanism. It was automatic(I.E. not hand operated) but it established the idea. I don't know what kind of bug got up Leo's rear end that caused him to use the wrong name. Me, I call them vibratos.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
^^ to both of last posts as it is obviously a joke at this point

my only guess was at that point in time (say 1950s) tremelo might have been the best way to describe this new way of changing tone (although not accurate per say) as those vibrato bridge/bars prolly could only change the sound so much and may have been perceived at that time as a way to change volume or attack and not so much pitch but wtf do i know....

at least that is how i justify it my head

;
I think this thread has run its course. Also I think we should have a little less of the 'oh, he's only a June '08' nonsence. It's hardly benificial, by all means feel proud if you joined in '06, but just keep it to yourself, you're hardly a master of these forums.

Sorry to rant, but could someone please report this/close it.

- Rich