OK, this is my first thread on UG, so don't kill me if i do something wrong...

I play a Schecter Gryphon through a Line 6 Spider iii 120 watt. No effects; I'm happy with the ones on the amp (for now). I want to improve the overall tone of my guitar because it's kind of.... boring. It sounds too average, and the cleans are decent but not great. I play mostly classic rock and bluesy stuff, but I play some modern power-chordy stuff too with my band. I'm not set on any specific brand, and I don't wanna spend much more than $120, but I'm willing to go to $150 if I fall in love with a certain set. Oh and one more thing-- my Gryphon has a coil-tap, and I like how that adds versatility to my guitar. I won't get a set of pickups if they can't be wired for coil tapping.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Hate to say it, but on a modeling amp like the Spider III, a pickup change won't help much - any guitar or pickup set will sound very similar. The biggest tonal change will come from a new amp, preferably some sort of tube amp. It will let the dynamics of your guitar come through a lot better.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I was afraid someone would say that. Problem is, i LOVE my Spider.
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
If you love the Spider, then spend some time tweaking your tone/EQ a bit more. For the most part, pickups will be a waste of money.
Axe-FX Standard
OK.... but could you just make a suggestion for pickups?
For the stuff you play, a pair of DiMarzio Breeds would work well. They're 4-conductor, so you can tap them. You can also go for the tried-and-true Seymour Duncan JB/'59.
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by BD 425

Honestly, if you're really set on keeping your Spider, buying a graphic EQ pedal will make far more difference than new pickups. Pickups make a small difference anyway but on a Spider the difference will be almost inaudible.

So my suggestion is to buy an MXR 6-band EQ pedal (or a danelectro fish 'n' chips if you want to save some cash) and stick it in the effects loop of the spider, then tweak away.

Even that would be wasting money IMO, but at least it will actually change the sound.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Good to know, I was actually thinking about getting a Fish N Chips.
So I guess I'm gonna grab a Fish n Chips (maybe an MXR but I don't feel like spendin the cash) and begin my "Tube amp fund".

...Anyone wanna donate?
Quote by BD 425
I was afraid someone would say that. Problem is, i LOVE my Spider.

But you don't LOVE your tone and the Spider is around 75% (give or take 5%) of the reason for that. You could plug in a guitar worth 10K and while it would sound better, it still won't sound very good really.
But I guess if you won't be told then do what timi said.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by BD 425

Yup, don't bother with them. EQ pedal is a good call though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by www trade9 net
you may come to our web:www.trade9.net

we have some really good guitars for you to choose

thank you for your time

*reported*
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.